PDA

View Full Version : Attention Audi UK Customer Service - A Positive Story

sanstorm999
14-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi Everyone,
My Audi A4 2.0TDI 170 S-Line SE 56 plate, died on the school run Wednesday morning. Fortunately, I was on a low speed side road when it happened. The Roadside assistance mechanic diagnosed it as a fuel supply problem. He called a local Indy garage who advised him that it was more likely an injector failure, that Audi were replacing them under goodwill.

I called Audi Dealer in Maidstone from the road side and mentioned the possible injector fault diagnosis and was advised by them that they were unaware of an injector problem on this model and would charge £144 diagnosis fee.

Based on Audi response I got the car recovered to my home and called Maidstone Audi again once I had run a VCDS fault report, which showed an injector fault and done some research on the net about the potential injector problem . But again they denied any knowledge of a ongoing problem and advised I contact Audi UK direct.

This I did and they immediately admitted the injector issue and promised to get them checked and replaced as long as I could get the car to an Audi centre.

This is the part where I am really annoyed with Maidstone Audi, as it would now cost me nearly £200 to get the car towed from my home to Audi Maidstone. Because most breakdown cover only allow for one single destination for a recovered vehicle and because I had chosen to get the car recovered to home, I was not entitled to get the car towed to Audi.

However, after phoning several breakdown companies and quoted roughly the same. I was advised by Audi assistance to contact the original recovery company GREENFLAG and ask if they could help.

To my relief and great thanks they agreed to collect the car and deliver it to Maidstone Audi for free and treat it as a continuation of my original roadside recovery! What a top company and thank you Green Flag!

Three days later I have the car back and all four injectors and wiring loom have been replaced free of charge by Audi UK.

Car runs smoother without flat spots it had before.
My advice if you have this model of Audi contact Audi UK direct and ask for them to be changed before someone has a serious accident.

I can now ADD my final result to this saga!
I was so impressed at how Audi UK dealt with the matter and thankful they got our car back on the road at no cost to us, that I wrote and thanked them just after receiving the car back.

To my shock and surprise Audi UK called me a couple of days after receiving my letter and offered to send me a crate of wine as a thank you for being such a loyal customer to the Audi brand for nearly 20 years.
I replied I do not drink alcohol (due to driving so much, but my wife does). However, he noted I mentioned in my letter that our car was almost due a CAM-Belt, Tensioner and Water-Pump change and that he would sort something out!?!?

Two hours later I received a call from the same Audi UK customers services rep and was told that Audi Maidstone would be calling me direct to book my car in to replace the aforementioned parts completely Free-of-Charge. Not forgetting to mention they also MOT'ed the car free at the same time and supplied a courtesy car also! All this was worth well in excess of £500.

Now how is that for customer loyalty and service!?!?!

From one very, very happy Audi owner - Proper Result! :biglaugh:
Sanstorm

JimC64
14-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Wow.....great story and thanks soo much for sharing, its really appreciated.

Its so nice to hear about a positive interaction with the OEM, as usually on forums it ALL tends to be negatives and about this issue or that problem, this dealer is c&%P or that dealer let me down and Audi UK didn't want to know!

I've had more than a few very positive experiences with both my local Audi dealer and Audi UK.
I've also had to fight my corner on occasion, but I guess thats to be expected sometimes.

Kudos to you for taking the time n trouble to post this.........:beerchug:

Happy motoring

Ben
14-11-2011, 07:22 PM
What did Audi maidstone say when they learned that they told you utter tosh about replacing injectors free.

sanstorm999
14-11-2011, 08:39 PM
What did Audi maidstone say when they learned that they told you utter tosh about replacing injectors free.

Hi,
I did not push the point with Audi Maidstone until they had fixed the car. When they offered me a feedback form to grade there level of service after the repair, I gave them a lower mark on one of the questions.

The service advisor was a little put out by this and actually asked me why I had marked them down. It was then I told him about the denial of the injector problem and that I thought it was poor customer service, when I now knew that Audi UK had sent a letter dated 22/07/2011 to all dealers making them aware of the problem and that any customers with a suspected injector problem should be treated in a positive light.

Oddly after I told the service rep my thoughts. He made no comment and disappeared out the back for several minutes, then returned and thanked me for my feedback!?!?

Sanstorm

mikeybutch
14-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Great story and thanks for sharing we now need this practice to spread Nationwide

Ben
15-11-2011, 12:21 PM
maybe he went and had some humble pie for lunch

jangles
18-11-2011, 06:14 PM
A great story, thanks for sharing it. I have an 06-plate 140 2.0TDI S-line so good to know. Shame about the dealer.

Radek1980
22-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I can now ADD my final result to this saga!
I was so impressed at how Audi UK dealt with the matter and thankful they got our car back on the road at no cost to us, that I wrote and thanked them just after receiving the car back.

To my shock and surprise Audi UK called me a couple of days after receiving my letter and offered to send me a crate of wine as a thank you for being such a loyal customer to the Audi brand for nearly 20 years.
I replied I do not drink alcohol (due to driving so much, but my wife does). However, he noted I mentioned in my letter that our car was almost due a CAM-Belt, Tensioner and Water-Pump change and that he would sort something out!?!?

Two hours later I received a call from the same Audi UK customers services rep and was told that Audi Maidstone would be calling me direct to book my car in to replace the aforementioned parts completely Free-of-Charge. Not forgetting to mention they also MOT'ed the car free at the same time and supplied a courtesy car also! All this was worth well in excess of £500.

Now how is that for customer loyalty and service!?!?!

From one very, very happy Audi owner - Proper Result! :biglaugh:
Sanstorm

Hi Sanstorm999

I just joined in. I have Audi A4 55plate 2.0 TDI 144BHP, I had a few months ago a fuel pump failure (quite common with this model apparently) and a mechanic told me to start saving up for fuel injectors replacement (anything about 1600 -1800). I couldn't believe my ears. Always wanted to have an Audi thinking about paying more for the car and not having such problems. It turns out otherwise.
Anyway, I heard that Audi could change them free of charge, but the question is this: do I have to wait until they brake down?
Cheers

sanstorm999
22-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Sanstorm999

I just joined in. I have Audi A4 55plate 2.0 TDI 144BHP, I had a few months ago a fuel pump failure (quite common with this model apparently) and a mechanic told me to start saving up for fuel injectors replacement (anything about 1600 -1800). I couldn't believe my ears. Always wanted to have an Audi thinking about paying more for the car and not having such problems. It turns out otherwise.
Anyway, I heard that Audi could change them free of charge, but the question is this: do I have to wait until they brake down?
Cheers

Hi Radek1980,
Re: replacement injectors, the simple answer is, no you do not have to wait. The injector failure issue has been identified by VOSA as a potential safety issue and has advised Audi UK to replace the potentially faulty injectors.
You need to contact Audi UK customer services direct on 0800 699 888
Explain your injector problem and safety concerns regarding their potential failure when in the outside lane of a motorway etc. and I am sure they will book your car in to see what injectors are fitted and whether or not the injectors have been replaced with the new modified version.
Do not let them tell you they will charge for the inspection normally around £105 plus vat. because this is a known fault with the injectors and Audi have a duty to put it right due to safety or you will write to VOSA.
Bear in mind Audi UK (and not the dealers) are desperate to keep a lid on this issue. I have heard /read stories where the dealers have told customers with this problem that it would be sorted if the car was service regularly or recently with Audi dealer. This in my opinion is tosh, when I contacted Audi UK direct they made no mention of a previous service history with Audi etc was a stipulation for the injector change.
I hope this helps and good luck!
cheers
sanstorm999

sanstorm999
22-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Radek1980,
Re: replacement injectors, the simple answer is, no you do not have to wait. The injector failure issue has been identified by VOSA as a potential safety issue and has advised Audi UK to replace the potentially faulty injectors.
Explain your injector problem and safety concerns regarding their potential failure when in the outside lane of a motorway etc. and I am sure they will book your car in to see what injectors are fitted and whether or not the injectors have been replaced with the new modified version.
Do not let them tell you they will charge for the inspection normally around £105 plus vat. because this is a known fault with the injectors and Audi have a duty to put it right due to safety or you will write to VOSA.
Bear in mind Audi UK (and not the dealers) are desperate to keep a lid on this issue. I have heard /read stories where the dealers have told customers with this problem that it would be sorted if the car was service regularly or recently with Audi dealer. This in my opinion is tosh, when I contacted Audi UK direct they made no mention of a previous service history with Audi etc was a stipulation for the injector change.
cheers
sanstorm999

I forgot to mention some have had fuel pump failure due to the faulty injectors causing the pump to work harder etc. and in some cases Audi has replaced the injectors and fuel-pump.
This isssue was first identified and was seen as a major problem with the 170 engine and injector problems with the 144 engine not as common, so you may encounter some resistance from Audi based on your engine version.
Cheers
sanstorm999

a8 tech
22-11-2011, 08:30 PM
The reason the injectors are replaced in full now is due to recent head of business meeting with audi uk were noted problems were raised and the fact that warranty and goodwill would only replace injectors which failed according to fault codes

This was created by dealer staff crying out for a better customer service due to the repeat failures of these vehicles and in most cases cars returned on 4 occasions for individual injectors

We in the dealers do care and its unfair for the importer to receive all the credit when they were kicked up the **** by the dealers who are kicked in the teeth by customers

Having said that its heart warming to hear positive feedback for audi uk and the dealers

I kept my mouth shut about the problems but was one of the first to explain the fault and how to diagnose this after Patrick raised the question a long long time ago

sanstorm999
22-11-2011, 09:27 PM
The reason the injectors are replaced in full now is due to recent head of business meeting with audi uk were noted problems were raised and the fact that warranty and goodwill would only replace injectors which failed according to fault codes

This was created by dealer staff crying out for a better customer service due to the repeat failures of these vehicles and in most cases cars returned on 4 occasions for individual injectors

We in the dealers do care and its unfair for the importer to receive all the credit when they were kicked up the **** by the dealers who are kicked in the teeth by customers

Hi a8 tech,
I appreciate your comments re Dealers being labelled as the bad guys in lots of instances and it is probably not fair. However, many of the negative stories are based on customer inter-action with those same dealers, and unfortunately, many of those experiences end up on places such as here.

Based on my research, I thought the injector issue was highlighted to Audi UK by VOSA back in March/April of this year and in fact there are copies of letters written to VOSA re injector issue by customers and again copies of letters VOSA has written to Audi indicating they should rectify the problem!?

Cheers
sanstorm999

a8 tech
22-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I have not seen these but I do no that the problem was raised at the audi forum meeting and action plans rolled out so maybe vosa and dealer pressure forced there hand

Forgive me if I have missed something but this is not a recall or workshop action but there is a document to instruct the replacement of all 4 injectors if the vehicle meets the criterion set by audi uk

So as this repair is niether a recall or workshop action its goodwill and vosa has not enforced anything as it would surely become a safety recall then wouldnt it

sanstorm999
22-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I have not seen these but I do no that the problem was raised at the audi forum meeting and action plans rolled out so maybe vosa and dealer pressure forced there hand

Forgive me if I have missed something but this is not a recall or workshop action but there is a document to instruct the replacement of all 4 injectors if the vehicle meets the criterion set by audi uk

So as this repair is niether a recall or workshop action its goodwill and vosa has not enforced anything as it would surely become a safety recall then wouldnt it

Hi a8 tech,
Please have a look at the link, showing a VOSA letter sent to an Audi customer: http://uk-audis.net/forums/t/3878.aspx
I agree with you, it is not a recall or workshop action. However, please note point 2 of the letter, which does indicate that all customers who have experienced this problem even when dealt with outside of Audi should be re-embersed.
You make a good point: why no recall or dedicated workshop action instructions to the dealers?
The completely cynical side of me thinks they could have worked a deal with VOSA to help keep a lid on this problem. Audi sold over 1 million new cars in a year for the first time in 2009 and again for the first time beat BMW in new car sales. I wonder how many of these sales would have been / would be lost if this problem was plastered all over the press as it was when toyota had there problems?
Just my thoughts and thank you for the Dealer insight it is much appreciated.
cheers
sanstorm999
BTW. I do not intend to label all dealers bad and in fact our local Audi dealers in the past located in Sydenham and Croydon demonstrated customer service second to none and to this day our loyalty to the Audi brand is highly influenced by our experiences with them.

Radek1980
23-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Radek1980,
cheers
sanstorm999

Hi Sanstorm999

Thank you for your reply. I have been reading lately tons of posts regarding fuel injectors and an "excellent" chain driven pump and problems that they cause. Everybody was advising to get in touch with Audi UK via letter rather than phone. What is your opinion on this? What should I put in there in order to convince Audi to pay for necessary replacements?
Also, I haven't got FASH, is this going to be a problem you reckon? My car is set on long life system and I had a service lamp on my dash maybe 2 months before the repair, during which I had a oil, and filters changed. Should I service my car? If I do should it be Audi dealer, so it works in my favour when it came to contacting Audi? If I did do service at Audi I would have FASH.
P.S. I don't think I mentioned having problem with my oil pump (plastic chain guide broke and damaged pump and eventually turbo). All of it was notified by red oil pressure warning lamp, and despite almost immediate stopping the car, I ended up with a bill of GBP 2.1k from third party garage. They replace only a pump rather than upgraded to newer gear driven version.
Now I have got bit of vibration when in idle so I fear a potential clutch/DMF replacement cost is coming up. It is some kind of a nightmare rather that German quality. Sorry Audi, but you won't be getting any recommendation from me!

Cheers
Radek1980

a8 tech
02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi a8 tech,
Please have a look at the link, showing a VOSA letter sent to an Audi customer: http://uk-audis.net/forums/t/3878.aspx
I agree with you, it is not a recall or workshop action. However, please note point 2 of the letter, which does indicate that all customers who have experienced this problem even when dealt with outside of Audi should be re-embersed.
You make a good point: why no recall or dedicated workshop action instructions to the dealers?
The completely cynical side of me thinks they could have worked a deal with VOSA to help keep a lid on this problem. Audi sold over 1 million new cars in a year for the first time in 2009 and again for the first time beat BMW in new car sales. I wonder how many of these sales would have been / would be lost if this problem was plastered all over the press as it was when toyota had there problems?
Just my thoughts and thank you for the Dealer insight it is much appreciated.
cheers
sanstorm999
BTW. I do not intend to label all dealers bad and in fact our local Audi dealers in the past located in Sydenham and Croydon demonstrated customer service second to none and to this day our loyalty to the Audi brand is highly influenced by our experiences with them.

update

As of today 2/12/2011 the injector issue has become a workshop action number 23k1
This will need checking via your dealer against your vehicle details
The information has not been fully released yet but over the coming days it should be on the dealer elsa system

Mani23
11-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi, Is this injector problem only with Avants. Which other cars does it affect.

I have a A4 2.0 TDI 140BP SE (55).

Thanks