PDA

View Full Version : Question Water in side panel tail light on my EOS

schie
11-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Is it possible to split the plasic side panel tail light apart so I can clean the water out.
The nearside lightside panel tail light had water in it. I have removed the unit, but would like to hear from anyone who has had this problem.
Can you split the red plastic and the grey plastic pieces apart?.
My car is an EOS 2008 with LED lights.
I am thinking of putting some silicant around the top edge, have you any adeas on this, thanks.

GRBspeedster
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
We had the same on our EOS. I do not believe you can split them, take the bulb panel out and dry with hair dryer.Wtare was an issue on our car, have you treated the seals with krytox around the boot edge?

schie
11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks GRDSpeedster,
I did think it may be possible to split the fitting, but decided not to push it. I've done what you suggested and used a hair dryer.
Before putting back, I did run a thin bead of silicone along the top edge where the red and grey plastic meet and hope this will cure the problem.
You also mentioned krytox. After a heavy rainstorm, I found the passenger seat was wet and think it is coming from the rubber joint between windscreen and the roof. I guess you found that this substance does the business. I must order some this week!.
Thanks for your help.

GRBspeedster
11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi
You MUST keep the seals well lubricated with Krytox Check out EOS owners club forum their is a link to procedure to apply. Another are to check is the roof drains that run down the A post. The rubber tube is coonnected to the roof drainchannel by a flexible tube .this sometimes comes off and causes a leak. Take off the trim panel over the a post and you will see the tube and connection
Have a look on EBAY for Krytox as it is expensive

schie
12-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes thanks, I looked at the main UK supplier, on the website it had one price and when I rang them up, the price had more than doubled!. Whilst its good to use the Web to buy items, the problems of getting caught out with the money need careful watching.
I've now returned the light fitting to the car and it is looking good. Fog outside at the moment, but not too cold, so I feel a drive with the roof down coming on!!.
Thanks for all your helpful advice.

GRBspeedster
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi keep an eye on ebay a dealer is on who gets old rover stock. It isd packaged as Rover rubber lubricant for the MGF but is Krytox and a lot cheaper
Dont buy the wipes from VW they are cheap but a waste of time
Enjoy the car

schie
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks GRBspeedster,
Rover rubber lubricant for the MGF is now on my wish list.
Thanks