PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.7 tdi or 2.0 (170bhp) tdi quattro?

RobGriff
06-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Hi, I currently have a 2003 a4 quattro sport and am looking to buy either an 2008 A4 2.7 tdi or the 2.0 (170 bhp) tdi quattro.
Would anyone have any real world mpg's for either of these cars?
Any advise on which is the 'better' car?
Most of the 2.7's that I have seen are the SE model with extras like full leather thrown in, is it worth holding out for an S-Line?

Thanks

pitch3110
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Hello and Welcome Matey,

You will find the B8 bunch tame enough and don't be harmed if hey bite.

Nice dilemma and I sure many will pop up soon.

I have a similar one when I purchased this one two years ago, not sure to go 170 q or 143 multi. In the end the auto box made my mind up and I would make the same decision today.

Quattro is a wonderful thing to have and I am looking at TT's for the misus and that is a must have. For me though auto appealed and it was my first and I do not think I would return to a manual in a car of the A4 ilk. Out of the box I was incredibly sluggish and thirsty but with 30k under is belt it is losening up lovely. The 143 is perfectly adequate for me power wise and 50+ comes up more often than not when on a run. And the 8 forward ratios and flappy paddles are great fun.

For me Sline spec is a must, but the SE ride is a lot more forgiving than Sline on 19''s.

Not really answered your questions but added some meat I hope.

Good Luck

Ta
Pitch

(doing this is the bath with the iPhone so apologies for smelling and grammar)

J_B204
06-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a 2011 MY 2.0 TDI (170) quattro manual and am very happy with the MPG - considering it is a large car (I have the avant) and is quattro I can get high-40s on a motorway run (and I have only done around 7000miles).

I think the 2 cars you are looking at are fundamentally different though:

2.0 TDI (170) quattro - 4 wheel drive, only available in manual, 4 cylinders
2.7 TDI - front wheel drive only, only available in automatic (I think), 6 cylinders

I think it goes without saying that the quattro will handle better but how often do you drive to the limit? Obviously the auto will be an easier drive than the manual. The 2.7 is more powerful that the 2.0 but not as much as you may think but as it is a V6 it may be more refined.

Horses for courses I think - best bet would be to test drive both!!

RobGriff
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Cheers for the replies. Problem is over here in N.Ireland there isn't any right now for sale and the only way the Audi garage will get hold of one is if i get them to bring it over after paying a £1K deposit with the view to buy!
My current drive is a quattro which is why i'm still fancying that.
Think the main reason of liking the 2.7 (apart from it being a V6) is that i took a A6 2.7 for a test before and was blown away but the power and refinement of it, but at the same time if the mpg is too low then its a non starter.

Ardy
06-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Ellos,

I have the 2.7 and mpg around the doors 30.0 - 35.00,motorway runs mid to top 40's. Pretty sure that will be better than the Quattro but other replies will reveal. Also think many people manage better mpg than me! - I went for the 2.7 auto over the Quattro 2.0 and I am very happy with the car - just effortless movement. Would have gone Quattro if I could be bothered with more fuel stops and wanted more action, but had enough of that in my last petrol.

Test drive both ofc if possible - handling I would expect to be better in the quattro etc.

happy hunting

theskyfox
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Ive got the 3.0TDi quattro and real-world average around the 35mpg mark. Being a 2.7..and Front wheel drive, I would hazard a guess that 40mpg+ should not be unreasonable. As long as you don't mind a bit of torque-steer every now and then, Im sure the 2.7 would be a nice drive and give you a little more poke than a 2.0..though I wouldnt expect it to be massively different with the additional weight...

-Andrew

RobGriff
07-11-2011, 04:12 PM
To be honest i'd be happy with 40+mpg. My current car is more like 36mpg.
3.0Tdi Quattro must be mental to drive! Plenty of power and quattro to keep it going where you point it.

maigrait
07-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Cheers for the replies. Problem is over here in N.Ireland there isn't any right now for sale and the only way the Audi garage will get hold of one is if i get them to bring it over after paying a £1K deposit with the view to buy!
My current drive is a quattro which is why i'm still fancying that.
Think the main reason of liking the 2.7 (apart from it being a V6) is that i took a A6 2.7 for a test before and was blown away but the power and refinement of it, but at the same time if the mpg is too low then its a non starter.

I live in enniskillen and had to travel over to newcastle to buy my 2.7 multitronic. I think its fantastic. Its got a lovely sound to it (for a diesel) and much more refined than the 2.0...

I would love the quattro in the 3.0 but i just think it'll be too thirsty... I get 46 mpg roughly in the 2.7.

RobGriff
07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for that. Think thats made my mind up. Whats it like in the snow?

maigrait
07-11-2011, 10:59 PM
yeh not bad... helps if you have decent treads on the tyres. I have never put on winter tyres and it was fine. I'm sure if you got some 2nd wheels and proper winter tyres you could scale mountains... ;)

RobGriff
08-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Cool.... what about torque steer?

maigrait
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
ah sure you get a bit if you really floor it from standstill but doesn't seem to pop up whilst driving... great car.

Not tempted with the 3.0 quattro? If I could have afforded it I would have gone for that...

dts439
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Our 3.0 Quattro is great. With the S-tronic box the economy is much better than our last B7. Restrained motorway trips can give low 40s and I average high 30s, not 2.0tdi levels but pretty good for the performance it can offer.

The snow last year convinced me that I should stick with the quattro and I couldn't go back to a manual so it was the only (diesel) choice left. If there was an auto 2.0tdi quattro I would have been tempted.

Eddo1968
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a 3.0 TDi Quattro (allroad) and the actual mpg (using an iphone ap on fillups) over the 35K+ kms I've had it is just under 35mpg . It has to be said that I do mostly motorway miles keeping to the 110/130 km/h speed limits. I love the smothness and the power and the fact that if necessary it will burn off virtually all annoying french tail-gaters. Unfortunately will have to sell it to make way for a comparatively under-powered company car (prob 140 tdi) :(

RobGriff
09-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Whilst a 3.0 would be absolutely awesome to drive the mpg for me wouldn't be great. I commute into Belfast everyday. Half the journey in is country a roads the rest stop start in traffic. Coming out is 60mph-ish up the motorway. Would reckon the mpg wouldnt be good under those conditions.