PDA

View Full Version : Leaking metering head

quattrothedog
04-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi guys, done a search on this, but couldn't find any specific help.

After some 15 years of running various Audis in the UK, I just moved to Norway.
Saw a 1987 100 CC for £500 with over a year's mot, and loads of new parts, so practically bit the guy's hand off to buy it !

It's a 5-pot, 2.0. Not got the docs yet, but I'm guessing at that vintage, a 2.0 would be a JS engine.
When I went to look at it, it was running on 4 cylinders at idle, going to 5 under load. The distributor cap looked like it hadn't been changed in an eternity, so I took the chance.

Turns out it wasn't that !
There's some fuel leakage around the metering head, just some minor seepage, but it's definitely there.
My problem is no 5 cylinder.
Ignition is all fine, as is spark plug, but cracking the injector pipe while at idle doesn't exactly result in a flood of fuel like the others !
Pretty satisfied it's the metering head which is at fault.

Normally I'd just bolt on a replacement one, but they aren't cheap over here, and the price of postage rules out getting one from the UK.

So, I'm considering doing the unthinkable and taking it apart for a look-see !
I read a guide online to rebuild a Porsche one, and it looks fiddly, but not impossible. http://www.porsche928forums.com/download/manuals/CISRebuild.pdf
Basically it seemed you replace the O rings, and use Indian head shellac to rebuild the mating surfaces.

Has anyone done this on a 5 cylinder?
Is there a guide which exists to do it ?
I'm pretty satisfied I can do it, but is there a rubber diaphragm inside the thing ? If there is, and it's leaking, then I'm stuffed !
I'm thinking I might have to buy one anyway, so it's not the end of the world if I kill this one.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. The clock doesn't work, and it bugs the crap out of me !! Any pointers before I take it apart ? :1zhelp:

Crasher
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Do not take it apart, the manual warns against doing this. It should be a KP or an SL engine and a new metering head is £800 for 034 133 481 EX from Audi. Bosch list it under their number 0 986 438 151 but there is a warning that it is about to be discontinued.

quattrothedog
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.
The car's not even worth £800 !
I can get them second hand on Ebay, reckon it'll probably cost me about £100 to get one delivered. On a 25 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I doubt I'd even consider a brand new item

It's still running, so I'm not panicking, by the looks of the staining around the metering head, it's been leaking for some time, so I'm hoping it'll continue to do so !
If in doubt, I'll just leave it the way it is and wait for either a parts car, or a suitably priced metering head to show up.
I guess I'm just curious !

As I say in the first post, it looks like I'll have to replace it anyway, so I'm figuring this is a kind of "free" experiment. It's already broken, so I've nothing to lose by trying.

Do not take it apart, the manual warns against doing this. It should be a KP or an SL engine and a new metering head is £800 for 034 133 481 EX from Audi. Bosch list it under their number 0 986 438 151 but there is a warning that it is about to be discontinued.

quattrothedog
11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow ! Don't all rush at once !!:D

Well, I did it
After some negotiation, I found one which would fit mine, so therefore I had a free go at taking mine apart.

If anyone's considering doing the same, the link I posted in my first post is absolutely spot on, using it, I found there was no problem to taking the metering head apart and reassembling it.

Sadly, in my case, it was obvious as soon as I started that someone had already been in there before. So it's obviously been giving trouble for a while.

I discovered fuel leaking down past the control plunger into the airbox. There are 'O' rings around the slots in the control plunger chamber, and I think these are at fault.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say someone's replaced them with ones which "looked right".

I did manage to get it running a little better, and stop some of the fuel leakage, but it's not right, so I admit defeat, and a replacement has been ordered.

Repair kits are available on ebay, which contain all the 'O' rings and stuff, but since somebody else has messed about with it, I don't want to take the chance.
If it had been known to be 100% original, at least I'd have some reference points to work from.

To sum up, if anyone out there is facing a similar dilemma, I say never mind the naysayers, give it a go. :beerchug: