PDA

View Full Version : Question Xenon Headlamps

ttank2610
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
just bought an '09 a4 avant, would like to upgrade the headlamps to xenon's, phoned stirling audi and they said only the factory can do, is this correct or anyone out there who can do?

cheers

Issac Hunt
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Possible but it ain't gonna be cheap. You'll be looking at £1k+ even if you use used parts.

kodkod.84
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Agreed- for a proper OEM fit, looking at a lot of money- you'll need headlight units, ballasts, auto-levelling gear, wiring loom, washers and then a new bumper or existing one modified for the washers.

I was thinking about it on my car but thought- too much hassle/cost, I'll just make sure my next car has xenons :)

ianc1990
03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I just fitted my xenons yesterday!

You dont need washers and auto levelling - that rule applies to manufacturers and not for retrofitting the kit.

I do however have a problem with the coding, as in 09 central electrics, it will not accept byte 00 to be change from 69 to 26 so the car keeps complaining about sidelights/drl's being out although all of it still works!

Issac Hunt
03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
You dont need washers and auto levelling - that rule applies to manufacturers and not for retrofitting the kit.

Confident it will pass an MOT?

ianc1990
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Although I dont need one for another 2 years, one of my friends works for the DVLA and he works in the nitty gritty bits such as these. He checked this for me and confirmed that under current UK laws, an MOTer cannot possibly fail you for not having washers and auto-levelling headlamps as its not part of their 'checklist'. This law was put into place for manufacturers to abide by. I also asked my local garage and they did confirm that this isnt something they check for.....

kodkod.84
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
So this won't be happening in the future then?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/technicalpenpicture3-lighting.pdf

States quite clearly- 'Therefore, in order to pass the MOT
test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp
cleaning and self-levelling systems'

At least you have the proper projector lens- I get rather annoyed with the after market kits fitted to normal reflector systems throwing the light off in all directions blinding everyone!

Eshrules
03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Your mate that works for the DVLA really ought to have told you about the new legislation being brought in.

Oh I can't wait for the inundation of threads "MY CAR FAILED ITZ MOT COS OF ITS HIDZ!"

ttank2610
03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
looks like im not changing :( thanks for the feedback!!

SC03OTT
03-11-2011, 04:44 PM
For what it's worth I don't think HIDs are all they are made out to be. I have them on my current car and they are not the night and day revelation that people make them out to be. Get a decent set of Osram Nightbreakers and you'll be onto a winner.

113brucey
03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
comes into mot 2012 jan i think

ScottyUK
03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
For what it's worth I don't think HIDs are all they are made out to be. I have them on my current car and they are not the night and day revelation that people make them out to be. Get a decent set of Osram Nightbreakers and you'll be onto a winner.You're jokng?

I bought my first car with Xenons about 11 years ago and I swore I'd always have them.

I had bright bulbs fitted on my motorbike but they're nothing compared to the HIDS. My local MOT guy has passed them three or four times now and he's happy there's no artifacts of light issues and they're perfectly alligned so I've no guilt about using them.

SC03OTT
03-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Lol, nope not joking.

I was genuinely expecting to be blown away by them and to be honest, I'm just not. I've seen people on forums type stuff like "I don't even need my headlights any more". Well I do. Don't get me wrong, they are good and better than your regular filament bulb. But the big revelation I've read about? No, in my opinion.

113brucey
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
my a4 sline tdi haz them the best lamps ive used and i work in motor trade . you dont even have to use high beam lights up the whole road perfect