PDA

View Full Version : A5 winter tyres

teuchter
02-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I've got a 2008 A5 3.0TDI Quattro, Contitech 245/18 tyres on at present. After last winter's pantomime on ice I am thinking of putting on some winter tyres. Can anybody recommend Audi approved tyres for the beast in winter?

warp_speed
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I've got a 2008 A5 3.0TDI Quattro, Contitech 245/18 tyres on at present. After last winter's pantomime on ice I am thinking of putting on some winter tyres. Can anybody recommend Audi approved tyres for the beast in winter?

Don't think there is Audi approved tyres, just whatever 1. Has a good review 2. you can afford. I believe the recommended M+S (Mud + Snow) tyre sizes are on the B-piller door catch. There should be a sticker there giving recommended sizes and tyre pressure. It's there on the A4 not sure about the A5. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Bratty
03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Audi Approved tyres do exist! They will have "AO" stamped on the sidewall with all the other details. They will be more expensive (naturally) and offer NO advantage over the identical Non AO tyres. Have a look in your handbook for reccomended winter tyre and wheel sizes. If you stick with Dunlop, Continental or another reputable make then you will have a much better time in bad weather than cheap No-Name chinese recycled flip-flop ones.

Dunk

fitzofury
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I was thinking following a similar line - i.e. winter tyres - I recall in times past (early days of flash alloy wheels) that people used to keep a set of cheap steel wheels fitted with winter tyres - does that practice still go on? I presume that that the intention was to keep the expensive alloys clear of salt and it was expected that the performance of wide/large alloys would not be used in winter.

warp_speed
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Well that's what I did, bought some 17" steel wheels with the same offset, etc. from a VW dealer for around £45 a wheel and fitted some new Vredestein Snowtrac 3's I got from a German tyre seller on ebay. All in around £500 supplied and fitted. Audi were doing a deal on the newer A4's which were alloys and snow tyres for ONLY £1200. Sure we all have £1200 lying around.

Aralph
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I have bought and fitted a set of 18" toyo snowproxes s953. Had a set of toyos on my wifes previous car. Very good tyres. Verdestein are v good as well.