PDA

View Full Version : audi a4 dash problem

audiA41998
16-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi i have recently purchased an Audi A4 1998 SE. It has since developed a problem. When you first start the car all is fine. As you are driving the petrol gauge starts to go up and down and the electronic display showing how many miles your petrol will go goes up and down too, after this happens the speedometer goes up and down then stops working completely, including the elctronic mileometer. Has anyone had the same problem?

ALTEA
17-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Not sure if this somthing that the tt is known for. There was something on BBC watchdog about tt owners with this sort of problem. sorry I cant be of more help

meranwilson
16-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I have a similar, but perhaps unrelated, problem with my 1999 A4 1.8T. The Speedometer and Rev Counter both under-read. So when I'm doing 20kmph, the needle is on zero, about 40kmph the needle is on 25, and so forth. The rev counter at idle indicates a rev count of about 100 rpm, when in fact the engine is happily purring along at more like 900 rpm.

I think your problem, though, could stem from a loose earth wire, seeing as all guages seem to work intermittently.

Anyone with any ideas about my problem though? All components in the vehicle are OEM, and this all started after its last oil service (even though no electrical parts or wires were replaced, disconnected or altered in any way)