PDA

View Full Version : VW GOlf MK3 Central Locking Problem

Atters
21-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi All,

New to the site and I thought I'd pop along as I've just bought myself a 1.8 Golf CL N Reg (1995). Pretty impressed with it so far. Only one major issue so far.

The drivers door lock cylinder doesnt engage. In fact when I put the key in it just spins freely and and then pops out when I withdraw the key. However when I use the passenger side door the central locking works fine.

Does anyone have any idea how I can quickly, easily and cheaply fix this issue?

Many thanks.

DGolfer
23-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Atters,

Hi, i've just literally joined here to try and find some answers to my Golf mysteries, but what you described sounds just like something that i had to sort out about a year ago.

I've got a 1.8 auto 1995 Golf, and one day the drivers door outside central locking just stopped working. It could still be activated from inside though and on the passenger side. It turned out that one end of the paddle that attaches to the lock barrel had sheered away, knackering the locking mechanism.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but its worth trying the following if other options fail: to get to it you will most likely have to remove, or at least partially detach the interior door panel, and therefore loosen/remove the window/wing mirror adjusters, etc. This wasn't easy on my model Golf, and you might need a second pair of hands to assist you. Once you can see it, you'll just need to reach in behind and remove the barrel and all other parts of the lock.

The part that had sheered was a small hook on the paddle casting that in turn attached to the lock barrel. It really shouldn't have done it, as i had never unlocked the door forcefully, but if this is what's happened to you as well, you'll see its probably the weakest part of the paddle.

A new lock including springs, paddle, barrel cost around £15 from my local VW dealer, and a very charitable local mechanic fitted the lock FOC for me. Part numbers from VW were:

Barrel = 1H0837061G
Excentric = 1H0837223B
Carrier = 1H0837237D
Spring = 1H0837245
Spring = 1H0837229B

As i said, i don't know if this applies to you, but it sound very familiar to me.

Hope that helps.

DGolfer
23-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Also, see the thread called 'Mk 3 golf central locking problem' started by "johnnie".

There's some more info about the paddle (excentric) part that breaks in there. Its in this section of the forums.