PDA

View Full Version : Hill assist?

nealeb
29-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Took the new A6 out for a test drive a few days ago. The salesman pointed at a button immediately behind the handbrake "switch" and said, "If you turn that on, the handbrake comes on automatically when you stop". I don't think he's quite right, but I can't find any reference to it in the brochure. My guess is that it's the Audi Hill Assist function, which apparently keeps the brakes on when you stop at a junction even after you've taken your foot off the brake. The idea seems to be that the car won't roll away before you've put your foot on the throttle.

Is that correct? How does it work in practice? Does it stop the Start/Stop function from functioning? Do you have to turn it off when you're manoeuvring in a car park? It was difficult to work out in an unfamiliar car, and I'm going to have to wait until mid-Jan to get my own one to play with! This was on a 3.0TDI Quattro S-Tronic, BTW.

ianfarnham
31-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, the main function of this supplementary button seems to be to automatically prevent creep when you stop - eg stationary and you take your foot off the brake.

To be honest this seems a bit of a curious extra which so far hasn't been used much by me or anyone else driving my car - but have only had it 3 weeks. When I get a spare half hour I need to try out all the combo's - there seems to be a heart gripping very small creep backwards when you stop on an up incline with footbrake on and the engine stops - when you release the footbrake the engine starts up but with a small drop back just before traction comes on again. You can hear the automatic brake operating but there is a fraction of a second with no footbrake, no electronic handbrake and no engine traction.

nealeb
02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Do you think that the slight drop-back is because the footbrake is locking the wheels while the handbrake works on the transmission somewhere? It means that there is a little bit of slack between the two. Or maybe it's because the footbrake locks all four wheels and the handbrake just the rear, so the rear suspension jacks up as you let off the footbrake? I seem to get the same effect when I stop on an uphill slope and put on the handbrake on my A6/C6. I've learnt to just let off the footbrake gently to take up the slack without any jerk - I'm a bit paranoid about everything being really smooth:).

ianfarnham
02-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I agree that if you are smooth and not too quick transferring from footbrake to accelerator all is fine and there is no slip back

man le-mans
11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I agree to be smooth and all will be good with no slip back. Have had to try it a few times in a multi-storey car don't think they get much more of a hill in them

nealeb
14-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Another toy to look forward to playing with, anyway:)

LukeCollins
19-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Mine has this feature 3 l tdi 4wd it is useful when stopped at the lights as you do not need to keep the break peddle pressed, it turns off when you apply power. Stop start however is disabled when this is on for info . IMHO stop start is not very good as some times it turns off the engine when pulled up only to restart within a couple of seconds.

Has anyone had problems with the mmi as I find it slow to respond when you start the car first thing. I have the hdd version and get the reverse sensors screen stuck on at times if I reverse as soon as I start the engine from cold

pitch3110
21-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Best 27 quid I spent on mine and would not hesitate to include it again.

It's a must in my view

Ta
Pitch

dandam
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
It's very useful when you have a manual gearbox. ;)

nealeb
21-12-2011, 10:07 PM
stop start is not very good as some times it turns off the engine when pulled up only to restart within a couple of seconds.

Start/stop seemed slightly hit-and-miss on my new A6 having gone for a drive yesterday after collecting it. Reading the manual (after the event, of course!) it seems that s/s looks at how hard you apply the brakes - press hard and the engine will stop, light press - just enough to stop it rolling? - and the engine stays running. Subtle point but one that may be useful if you keep edging forward in a queue. Maybe you can release some brake pressure to get the engine running just before you know you are pulling away? More things to try when I'm next out:)

Dickimuss
08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Start/stop seemed slightly hit-and-miss on my new A6 having gone for a drive yesterday after collecting it. Reading the manual (after the event, of course!) it seems that s/s looks at how hard you apply the brakes - press hard and the engine will stop, light press - just enough to stop it rolling? - and the engine stays running. Subtle point but one that may be useful if you keep edging forward in a queue. Maybe you can release some brake pressure to get the engine running just before you know you are pulling away? More things to try when I'm next out:)
Start stop IS activated/controlled by the pressure you apply to the brake pedal. If you hold the car at a stop with a light touch the engine will keep idling. if you increase the pedal pressure it will stop until you release the pedal.

Regarding the autohold this is useful in an automatic when yo uare in queing traffic. it means that you can just nudge the throttle to creep forward and then brake briefly to engage the brake again. just stops you creeping along all the time. its also useful when engaging reverse (automatics) as it takes a few seconds for the gear to engage and hold. If you are not careful the car is rolling into the car in front or hedge (i know i have done it) before the car is under power.

Blackmore Spur
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I have been using the button with great success on my two week old 2.0 TDi S Line manual A6. I really like the feature and find it works really well.....it automatically applies hand brake when I brake at lights or in queuing traffic, not just on a hill. Good news is it does work along with the stop/start function, provided temperature and other variables are in place (see the thread elsewhere on this site for more details about stop start function). When you turn off and park it turns off or if reversing using parking sensors....I turn it on when commuting every day now.

ianfarnham
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Blackmore, I'm with you in that.

I've not yet worked out how hill assist works - id doesn't apply the handbrake as there's no familiar whirring from the handbrake mech on the rear wheels. that means it must either lock up the transmission clutches somehow or, maybe less likely, apply brake pressure via the hydraulics.

nealeb
09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I believe that the hill assist does use the hydraulics, as it's a feature that you find on Audis that have an old-fashioned manual handbrake, and with manual gearboxes. Seems to me to be the easiest way to go, and traction control means that the mechanics to apply the brakes under computer control are in there anyway. There are days when I know that the car is cleverer than I am...