PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Clutch Pulley/Bell Damper

ddave05
28-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Evening all,

I had an issue with my car making a noise from the engine compartment last year at idle and when I turned the steering full lock. The V belt also used to jump about. I first changed the bell damper (part of the Vbelt tensioning system) which solved the issue for about 2 minutes before the belt started jumping again and the noise reappeared.

The problem was solved when I changed my alternator clutch pulley.

Up until recently all has been well, but that region has started to make noise again. I am wondering whether the period between changing the bell damper and clutch pulley damaged the damper. Is there any way of testing what may be wrong? Hopefully it isn't something more sinister like another pulley somewhere or the alternator clutch pulley again.

Crasher
28-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Did you fit a quality make of pulley such as LUK or SKF? I have experienced a few failures of "other" brands within a year.

ddave05
28-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I bought both items from TPS. I remember it cost a bomb!

Crasher
28-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Well that should preclude the pulley or the tensioner being at fault but the tensioner can be damaged by a failed pulley. Certain suppliers such as INA have a not in the box that says there is no warranty on the tensioner unless you can prove the pulley was changed at the same time.

ddave05
29-10-2011, 03:48 PM
It was along the lines of a week between the tensioner and clutch pulley being changed. I think I may replace the whole tensioner unit (euro have an LUK part with the roller, bracket and tensioner). I wonder if TPS will give a refund for the tensioner.

Can I check the alternator clutch pulley by releasing the belt and testing to see if it spins in one direction and not the other by sticking something in the internal fan?

Crasher
29-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Can I check the alternator clutch pulley by releasing the belt and testing to see if it spins in one direction and not the other by sticking something in the internal fan?

Yes but something non conductive.

stonedagain
30-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes but something non conductive.

You can get a finger in, it should turn in one direction if it is ok.

Crasher
30-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I would not recommend sticking any of ones fleshy digits in there.

caldirun
30-10-2011, 05:59 PM
If you release the belt there is no need to poke anything in the alternator, the inertia of the rotor is enough, just grab the pulley and try to spin it rapidly, the rotor will turn in one direction only (if the clutch is ok!).

Crasher
30-10-2011, 06:01 PM
True, I have suggested this before though and confused people so I recommend the locking method although the inertia slip method is how I do it.

ddave05
30-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I used a plastic knife last time to check. I am wondering whether TPS will take either part back for a swap/refund if they are indeed faulty?

Crasher
30-10-2011, 08:15 PM
In my experience if you have a faulty genuine part it has to be taken the the appropriate marque dealer together with the receipt.