PDA

View Full Version : Heated Windwscreen on Passat CC GT not fully working - Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Pirate983
23-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi All. Well with the first bit of frost hitting my part of the UK last week it gave me a chance to use the heated front windscreen for the first time. Was @ 6am and the screen was fully frosted up. Within a minute most of the screen had cleared except for about an 18 inch wide vertical strip right in front of the driver-side vision!!!! :mad: The passenger side was completely cleared as was a 4 inch strip down the driver side by the pillar but a full 18 inch wide strip right in front of my vision. Not even a hint of maybe a few of the tiny wire elements failing! Got the car booked into VW to check but would imagine it's gonna be a new screen. Only got the car June 2011 so in warranty (thank God!). Hate to think how much it would cost otherwise. Has anyone else had this problem? :confused:

Pixiedemon
23-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, just had a new windscreen on my car. It was built in March, and I think I used the heated windscreen a few times before the summer and it was fine at the start. Come autumn I had a large vertical band not de-misting on the passenger side.

It also takes 2 visits to the dealer to sort out. The first for the dealer to confirm that yes, indeed the windscreen is faulty and to then order a new one and the second visit for them to fit it.

Pirate983
23-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Pixiedemon. Thought that would be the case but can't expect them to have a stock of the screens at the dealership :D. Not sure if it's good to hear someone else has had a problem or not but at least I'm not on my own with this problem. Saying that these screens are no different to the ones Ford put in their cars (my wife has a Fiesta with heated screen) and never had any bother with that or previous Fords we've owned. Glad I can get a screen replaced. BTW - I know this is a VW forum but have a look at this video from a Focus owner. Rather worrying considering the technology is effectively the same. Let's hope VW haven't got this problem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6bMDxYhixY&feature=player_embedded

Gregmeister
25-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I think my car may also suffer from this but I need to get a proper frosty morning to confirm it. Only noticed it because I got drenched a few weeks ago and the windows started to mist up

Pirate983
25-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh dear hope yours is OK. But suggest getting it booked into VW sooner rather than later. Also take a photo of the screen to show them. I forgot to do that with mine and it hasn't been frosty since :Blush2:. Let us know how you get on.

Pixiedemon
25-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about having a photo of the dodgy windscreen. The dealer took my car in and returned it saying a new windscreen was on order so presumably they can test for failed elements. As it's warranty work (and I was trying another dealer closer to my work) I got no explanation as to what happened to my car.

I've heard mixed views on the longevity of these screens: apparently the elements can fail at any time. However my last passat also had a heated windscreen and that stayed working for the 4.5 years that I had the car. Having had a heated windscreen through several winters they are brilliant for de-icing, the front windscreen was normally clear by the time I'd gone round the back and sides of the car. Also stops the screen fogging up in wet weather (much quieter than the blower which doesn't work that well anyway until the car warms up). Also kept the snow from settling on the screen when driving last winter, so yes I'm a fan.

Good luck sorting out your screen Pirate: it seems to take about a week for a new one to come in from order.

Pirate983
25-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks Pixiedemon. Will let you all know how it gets on. Nice new shiny windscreen on it's way yippee!!

Gregmeister
26-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not in any rush to have it done as the section that I 'think' is affected is right in the centre between the driver and passenger sides. If it has failed, it wont stop be driving the car and using the good sections of the screen in any cold snaps due on the horrison :)

Pirate983
12-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Car goes in next Tuesday to be looked at. Will post update after

Pirate983
17-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Car went in yesterday to dealership for diagnosis check to prove the bleedin obvious that I had a failed heated windscreen. To my surprise they said they would get a replacement fitted next day (today) so took it back @ 9am this morning and had the car returned to me by VW 2.30pm. Fantastic. Let's hope this one works!

Pirate983
05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Yep, the replacement screen works a treat

Simonst
16-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Had the car 7 months and have just had my heated screen replaced by AA Autoscreens, due to a stone making a nice round crack - great!
The only problem is the AA use their own supplier for the screens - the quality is not a patch on the VW original screen, I'm sure the heating
elements are far thicker and more visible, and the bottom 10 cms of each side does not defrost - no heating element there.
I am now pushing the AA to replace it with an original VW screen. I will see how far i can get.

Pirate983
17-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi Simonst. That's not good news that AA Autoscreens replacing with other make screens. Shame as the original is good and clears pretty much the whole screen. Suppose that's the way it works with replacements through insurance. As mine was warranty I had to have an original I suppose. Keep us posted with how you get on though - good luck

Pixiedemon
14-09-2012, 10:27 PM
And would you believe my car is going in again because my replacement heated windscreen has again failed! It's going in for the "official" diagnostic on Tuesday and we'll see what they say.

Only noticed it now with the return of early morning condensation this week with colder weather.

As an aside, it's not been a good year for my car and repairs. Car has been in to the garage nearly every month of this year (and only one of those visits was for a routine service). The other visits were to do with an insurance repair after someone reversed into my driver's door. It's amazing how many things can go wrong with a new car door, and how many times a body shop (chosen by the insurance company) can botch the repairs.

Pirate983
14-09-2012, 10:53 PM
This is so spooky! Guess what? Yep, my car is back to VW on Monday 17th to have the heated windscreen they replaced under warranty less than a year ago to be checked and hopefully replaced as it has suffered the SAME failure as before where a 6 inch wide strip from top to bottom of the screen doesn't clear!!! grrrrrrrr. not happy. This time it's nearer the passenger side whereas the first screen was nearer the drivers side. Why can't VW get these screens right? I have had heated front screens in my Fords for donkey's years (for as long as I can remember) and never had a single problem with any of them - and yes I have had lots of Fords with heated front screen. They are having my car in for 3 days of testing, well it won't take a rocket scientist to realise the screen is ******. Will keep you guys posted. Pixiedemon, please keep us posted on how you get on with your screen probs.

Pixiedemon
19-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Well garage confirmed that I have a second failed windscreen and even suggested a possible cause. Apparently the replacement windscreen came from an old batch which may have been faulty as there have been a number of failures. This would also of course explain your failed windscreen Pirate.

Anyway car is booked in for next week for its replacement ( from a new windscreen batch). No post in a year's time will mean success!

Pirate983
19-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Intersting point about dodgy batch. I'm getting mine back tomorrow from the garage - screen was fitted this afternoon but the seals need to be fully dried so they are keeping in over night. I also had the driver door electric window motor and runners replaced as the motor was always sounding 'laboured' when going up/down. It was like it since new and now replaced as they had the car in for a few days. Will update you when i get the car back tomorrow but as Pixiedemon says, if there's no post in a year's time then it means they fixed it!

Pirate983
15-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi All. Car was returned as mentioned above and the windscreen now replaced and working OK. Driver's window replaced too and now working fine - happy days!