PDA

View Full Version : A4 Suspension noises

scottya4
20-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi all,

I bought my 97 Audi A4 2.8SE Auto last year and it has been fine but since i bought it there has been a creaking noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumpy or uneven ground. It wasn't noticeable at first but now its becoming more evident i think i should look at getting it sorted. I wasn't sure if it could be a problem with the wishbone bushes or possibly even the driveshafts but i'm not an expert by any means so was hoping someone could offer some advice. I've also noticed that at times the accelerator pedal seems to be affected by this in that it appears to wobble or move or shudder slightly. Is this related or is it something seperate? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

rhencullen1989
20-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi, the front suspension on the audi A4 uses a different system compared to most cars, it has double wishbones top and bottom which are aluminium arms and steel ball joints.The whole arm has to be replaced as the ball joint is integral with the arm. At around £600 for all 8 arms (gen audi) and up rated track control ends(bigger dia. ball),and a.r.b. drop links. Check out FEBI arms, around £250 for the lot. (www.vwspares.co.uk) the shock is bolted to the front arm and is mounted solidly to the bodywork by 3 bolts from inside the engine bay. the early a4 seems to suffer from the ball joints wearing prematurely, although they should do at least 130K. Its a relatively easy job to do if you are confident with the spanners, top bolt can sieze in that clamps the top arms, bottom ball joints need a splitter, front one needs 26mm gap on splitter. Check out www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

scottya4
02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Does the 2.8 SE have sports suspension or just standard suspension?

Thanks

docurley
03-08-2007, 11:51 AM
If the shocks are red then you have sport suspension.

scottya4
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks a lot guys!