PDA

View Full Version : Audi winter tyre program

Dr Mcr
19-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Evening all,

I noticed Audi have started advertising their winter tyre program again. Has anyone bought these in Previous years? Does anyone know what the alloys actually look like.

I will probably buy mid next week but would like a few more details. Does anyone have any pics they could post

jakerade
20-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Hi

See below for the A4/A5 and S4 wheels which were sent to me by my local dealer.

The A4/A5 wheel looks very similar to the ones shown on the TyreMen web site with the same Dunlop 3D tyres. My local dealer is offering 10% off for ordering before the end of October.

jakerade
20-10-2011, 07:06 AM

below are the ones shown on www.tyremen.co.uk (http://www.tyremen.co.uk)

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/site-includes/products/mid/grip-silver.png

jakerade
20-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Model : A4 (B8)
Dimensions : 7Jx17 ET46
Tyre Dimension : 225/50 R17 98H XL
Tyre Description : Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D AO

RRP inc VAT

Single wheel/tyre
L/CompWint/5arm/17
£274
8K0073017H8Z8

R/CompWint/5arm/17
£274
8K0073018H8Z8
Set of 4 wheel/tyres : £1,096.00

certacito
20-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I bought the Audi set last year and have just dragged them out of the back of the garage to take into work ready to fit. We had our first frost this morning and the temperatures are startng to stay below 10deg which is the level they say the winter tyres work best below.

I'll try and get a picture of the Audi winter wheels posted later when I get home if no one else posts on before hand.

Dr Mcr
20-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. It is much appreciates. I am in a much better position to make a decision now. Just rung my insurer LV and they are fine with the wheels, which will not be seen as a modification so no premium increase. The design looks very similar to the wheels on my wife's A3.

10% is a big discount. Do you know which dealer that was?

D.

Dr Mcr
20-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Ordered mine earlier today. Got a discount, not quite 10% so reasonably happy. Would have preferred Audi steel wheels like they have in Germany, but that is not an option in this county. Got to work out the logistics of getting the car to them to fit the tyres now.

Do you know if dealerships are cleaning the wheels before putting them into the Audi bags? I picked up a booklet for the winter tyre program in the dealership which states "they should be thoroughly cleaned and inspected for damage". Also the booklet seems to imply they they will either store the summer wheels or deliver them home for you. Is this how it works? I thought you just popped them in your boot and off you go!

certacito
21-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Well a Stirling Audi they took them off and left them at the side of the car for me to load. I had to ask for the storage bags and they certainly didn't inspect the wheels, they didn't even mark which hub they came off so that I could rotate them.

I can confirm though that x4 19" wheels fit in a saloon boot.

Let's hope you get better service.

Rhino at Work
21-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Watch out for Audi prices - I was quoted £850 for the tyres only option. Local trader is doing it for £675.

lozzermo
22-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I was quoted £1780 for 18" wheels and Tyres and £1680 for Tyres only (19"). They offered to collect the car, make the change and deliver the car and the 'old' wheels and Tyres bagged up etc. Not worth the expense for me as I do not do high mileage and would only use the car in the snow if I had to. I'm hoping quattro will compensate for the summer Tyres!

jakerade
22-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Ordered mine earlier today. Got a discount, not quite 10% so reasonably happy. Would have preferred Audi steel wheels like they have in Germany, but that is not an option in this county. Got to work out the logistics of getting the car to them to fit the tyres now.

Do you know if dealerships are cleaning the wheels before putting them into the Audi bags? I picked up a booklet for the winter tyre program in the dealership which states "they should be thoroughly cleaned and inspected for damage". Also the booklet seems to imply they they will either store the summer wheels or deliver them home for you. Is this how it works? I thought you just popped them in your boot and off you go!

I believe they charge £120 for storing and refitting them in march so i took mine home. They would normally be cleaned but i picked mine up on a saturday afternoon when the cleaners have gone home so they packed them in plastic bags (they offered to clean them and hold them for me to pick up another day) and loaded them in the boot.

Dr Mcr
22-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Why would you want to put 18s on for winter? With unseen potholes wouldn't you be better off with a higher tyre wall? Also check out the width. On the white stuff, I've heard you are better on thinner tyres. Would ideally have wanted 205's but at least 225 wide is a reduction. £1100 quid is a lot cheaper than the price of 18s

Dr Mcr
22-10-2011, 09:40 PM
£120? :eek: garage at home it is then.

jakerade
22-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I think its to clear the s4 brakes though i would have thought 17 would be big enough

Dr Mcr
22-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Just seen its for an s4, doh! I'd not even considered you would have to spec bigger rims for bigger brakes. Does that mean no snow chains for an s4, or can you still get some to fit?

jakerade
23-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I have a set of these that fitted my summer 18" wheels on my B7 and B8

jakerade
23-10-2011, 07:27 AM
and as luck would have it, they also fit the 17" winter wheels. Not cheap though.......

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?emulate=accgen&query=22908&TID=363

SINGHY
23-10-2011, 07:42 PM
If Audi are charging so much for winter tyres and wheels why don't people just buy a quattro in the first place, it might be more dosh but you won't need to mess around swapping wheels and residuals would mean you get your money back. As usual the dealers can sniff an opportunity to rinse us and as always can't help themselves. Personally I've had no issues with tyres, haven't needed winter tyres even though have had 3 bad winters, car's done 60k, on the 3rd set at the front but the back tyres are the originals from the factory!

jakerade
23-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Quattro wont stop you any faster than a front wheel drive car.... Yet in a recent autoexpress / evo tyre test a car on winter tyres stopped from 25mph in 19m. The control tyre, a continent sport contact 3, was still doing 21mph when the other tyres were stopped and took an additional 55m to stop!

Dr Mcr
29-10-2011, 10:40 PM
The winter wheels are now fitted. I am surprised by how narrow they look , even compared to summer 245's Thanks again to everyone on the forum for your help.

With no sign of real winter weather it will be a while before they get proper use.

legendamongus
30-10-2011, 07:06 PM
How long did you guys have to wait for these winter tyres to be ordered in? The option of storage of the summer wheels makes this sound very interesting indeed...

jakerade
30-10-2011, 07:21 PM
mine came next day. I think the storage is relatively expensive although if you dont have a garage or a shed i guess its your only option

Dr Mcr
30-10-2011, 09:34 PM
How long did you guys have to wait for these winter tyres to be ordered in? The option of storage of the summer wheels makes this sound very interesting indeed...

Mine did take a little longer at a week. A mistake by Audi uk with the ordering, but they couriered them to the dealership the same day after they had realised the problem. Not an issue as the weather has been so warm. Normally they would take a couple of days, I am told.

Bear in mind though, they have a very eye catching advertising campaign designed to give instant approval by the Missus (if you need to justify spending a grand on something the car already has). ;-) If the bad weather comes quickly, they might run out!

theskyfox
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I am seriously considering this too. I spoke to a guy at Southend Audi, and apparantly their pricing structure changes tomorrow (8/11/2011), so he will get back to me on the price. How much have you guys paid? Im buying from main dealer on the basis that I shouldnt have to declare it to insurance (since its OEM and official Audi wheels/alloys). I dont want to get ripped off though..and am expecting to pay about £1200?

-Andrew

jakerade
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
ipswich audi we charging just under £1000 for wheels purchased before the 31st October. Might be worth calling Neil Laney there to see if they will honour it still

theskyfox
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Have been phoning around today..and am having serious issues trying to get hold of this package! Ipswich audi informed me they have sold out, and are having supplier problems from Germany. Apparantly I have "missed the boat" on them this year? I really do hope this isnt the case. If anyone knows any dealers that do still have them...please let me know :P.

-Andrew

jakerade
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Try huntingdon audi - they had some on ebay a week or so ago

Dr Mcr
07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
You might struggle, I'm afraid. My dealer got them from Audi UK. I guess they are too expensive to stock without a customer order. You never know though, posting on here might catch a dealership's attention. See if you can get alloys only and source tyres separately.

jakerade
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Type audi a4 b8 wheel into ebay. Huntingdon defo have just the wheels on there if u want to get ur own tyres

Dr Mcr
07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Yikes, the alloys alone are £736 plus £60 delivery from one seller. Makes what I paid for wheels and tyres look a real bargain!

kodkod.84
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
The longer you leave it the more difficult it will be to source the tyres- last year I had real trouble getting tyres- even resorting to phoning manufacturers direct, only to be told that they divert stock to parts of Europe where it is the law to have them fitted.

Dr Mcr
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Back home so I could take a proper look at the ad on eBay. Double check before you buy. The tyres i was supplied with are 225/50/17 98h, not 205/50/17 93v as they have listed. It is probably a genuine listing error and not intentional, but I would call them first if you are interested.

jakerade
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
ummm - they Dunlop 3D 225/50/R17 tyres are £166 each on black circles....

Wheel advert here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Audi-17-5-Arm-Design-Alloy-Wheels-A4-B8-8K-08-/280550569292?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims _Car_Rims_ET&hash=item41521df54c

Might be worth asking if they will do a deal as doesnt seem much point at that price - better to buy a set of second hand alloys although you do get into the world of wheels off crashed cars if you are not careful.

Dr Mcr
08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
One other thing ... If you look on the Audi uk website, in the owners area for the A4, you can find the same winter alloys for the same price - £736 for 4.

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/owners-area/audi-accessories.html?appAction=%2Faccessories-searcher%2Fsearch%21search.do

Looks like the dealership is making people aware of them using eBay.

Plife
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Looks like I missed the boat here! Trying numerous dealers and no luck. Anyone any ideas where I can get some?

xtremist
07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Depending on your size, try http://lovetyres.com/search/tyres/245-40-18/season/Winter

Plife
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I can get tyres no issue, was just after the audi tyre and wheel package.

robrob
07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I can get tyres no issue, was just after the audi tyre and wheel package.

A bit far away, but have you tried Glasgow Audi? I spoke to them this morning about storing and changing over my winter wheel and tyre set. They offered to change them but said they have no more storage as the programme has been wildly popular this year. "In fact", he added, "we only have 2 sets left to sell."

I don't know if they are for the A4, although that is what I was enquiring about, or whether he meant 2 sets in general for all the model types they supply for, but it might be worth a call in the morning - 0141 404 5487 (Parts)

I'm sure you could sort out a courier deal if it turns out they have them.

Plife
09-12-2011, 06:00 PM
A bit far away, but have you tried Glasgow Audi? I spoke to them this morning about storing and changing over my winter wheel and tyre set. They offered to change them but said they have no more storage as the programme has been wildly popular this year. "In fact", he added, "we only have 2 sets left to sell."

I don't know if they are for the A4, although that is what I was enquiring about, or whether he meant 2 sets in general for all the model types they supply for, but it might be worth a call in the morning - 0141 404 5487 (Parts)

I'm sure you could sort out a courier deal if it turns out they have them.

Super I'll drop them a mail now and give them a call in the morning. Cheers :)

theskyfox
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
For what its worth, I ordered some of these nearly a month ago from my main dealer and they are still struggling to get them. Apparantly Audi are doing a revised winter-wheel programme (some thing has changed..not sure what) but I do know its gone up in price. I haggled and got it for the price of the original (£1170) as opposed to the £1300 they tried to charge. They are still out and about there...just have to be patient and keep on their heels about it!

-Andrew

Plife
21-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Had to settle for the new package, which appears to be them getting the wheels and tyres separately! Mine should be arriving soon :)