PDA

View Full Version : V6 BORA - fused cooling fan

venividi
20-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I'd driven twelve or so miles on a recent rrip and was doing the usual town-centre circuit in order to find on street parking. Sitting at traffic lights the warning alarm sounded and the hazard message told me to switch off the engine and check coolant levels. Damn. The temperature gauge was touching 120 degrees so I limped into a side street and opened the bonnet. The coolant was fine, but why wasn't the fan working overtime to cool the radiator?

After letting it cool for a while back to 90 degrees level, I legged it home allowing the airflow effect to keep it there. Back up to 115 due to roadworks, the local dealer traced it to a blown 40amp fuse, mounted in a compartment on top of the battery.) Fuse replaced, the fan kicked in like an aero- engine.

What could cause a 40 amp fuse to blow? The dealer says if it goes again, I'll need the motors replaced which will cost a bob or two. Should I start saving?

kesselrun
22-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Problems with the cooling fans are a known issue with the V6 mk4 golfs and boras (including r32).

I got mine replaced under warranty on my golf v6 4motion. They had gone within (if i remember correctly) around 25000 miles.

I first noticed an intermettent but prolonged vibration through the floor/pedals when sitting at, for example, traffic lights. What was happening was that there was no gradual running of the fans to compensate for the temperature of the engine, they were either off or running at full pelt - hence the vibration.

I think in some cases if left unattended, it manifests itself by blowing a fuse. But again this is all from memory from when it affected me.

If you search the forums, i'm sure you'll find other threads on the topic. As I say - it's quite a common issue.

Hope this helps and you get the problem sorted out for good.:D