PDA

View Full Version : Old Audi, many problems!

frenchuk
18-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Where to start!

I bought my Audi A4 B5 about six months ago and got ripped off by the old owner. I have had to replace pads all round and two calipers already, among other things. However there are now some issues in the engine bay!

The steering rack has given up the ghost, does any one have any experience of fitting one of these? It would be good to know potential pitfalls. I read through the Haynes and they have about 2-3 whole pages on the subject, so I might get some one to do this one!

The next issue is the turbo. The turbo keeps cutting out, or at least power drops. Error message 00575 keeps coming up but I only have the basic yellow VAG COM error message wiper. So I can't see what it actually means. Oil is leaking all over the drivers side of the engine bay on the side of the engine and under neath. But I don't know if this is coming from another gasket on the engine! Every time I wipe the error message it runs fine then when you wind it up to motorway speed the turbo drops out again.

The next issue is starting. The glow plugs seem to take an age to go out. I have replaced pretty much everything... Glow plugs, glow plug relay, temp sensor. But it takes ages to glow the engine and even when it has glowed, on a cold day it isn't great at starting.

So the question is, its a 165000 mile car, is it worth going through and fixing all of these issues? The car isn't very tidy otherwise. Also thinking about getting a full VAG COM, is it going to tell me much about this car? I have already diagnosed the steering rack but will it tell me any more about the turbo and starting problem.

Any thoughts on these problems will be much appreciated

mikeybutch
18-10-2011, 08:04 PM
I hope you didnt pay a lot for this cos it sounds to me that you may be at risk of spending more than its worth especially if the turbo is dodgy.Any chance of offloading it in p/ex?

tony_ack
18-10-2011, 08:14 PM
00575 - Manifold Pressure Control Diff

From Professor Google

frenchuk
18-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Paid £600 for it, problem is I can't afford a new car to Part Ex it!

How do I solve manifold pressure? is it a sensor that needs replacing, or something else?

adamss24
19-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Sometimes with older cars is better to break them than fix them all together ! I have a tidy 1997 audi a4 fully loaded which i took in PX for a 2000 audi a4 tdi. I sold the car to a friend of mine 4 years ago after spending a good few hundreds sorting out the engine: new lifters,full cambelt kit,rebuilt cylinder head,etc. Then he retro fitted Bose sound system from a car i broke. As it is the car owes me 700 quid and no many takers ! If i pull the engine (it also had a new clutch and flywheel fitted this summer) that will sell for £300-400, the shell to weigh in is about £150 and all them bits and bobs you can sell from it: doors,gearbox,bonnet,etc. I would love to keep a old car on the road as it's such a good drive but i am forced to break her as it's more likely i'll double my money that way ! Good luck fixing yours !

frenchuk
19-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Would you be up for selling the 1997 as a whole? Is it a tdi?

I know what you mean about keeping things on the road, mines had a bit of work done, Cambelt etc But fear I might be opening up a can of worms!

adamss24
19-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Would you be up for selling the 1997 as a whole? Is it a tdi?

I know what you mean about keeping things on the road, mines had a bit of work done, Cambelt etc But fear I might be opening up a can of worms!

It's in the classifieds, see the link: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125395-Audi-a4-1.9-Tdi-110Bhp-£900-OVNO