PDA

View Full Version : B7 to B8

Macdoon
18-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi All

Owned and driven Audi's for last 20yrs, but not sure about next move,i'm considering the move from B7 to B8, so a couple of questions, has anyone done the same, if so is it a good move? What is the 2.0T FSI (211ps) like, anyone got an opinion?
I have a BT unit that was fitted to my B7 Rns-e, can this be swapped into the B8?

Thanks in advance

Mac

Ardy
18-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Made the same move myself and very happy still after a year and a half and 16K.

As long as you dont believe things like consumption figures in brochures you should not be disappointed!

- only thing that sometimes pops into the back of my mind is I wish the centre console plastics where as good as in the B7 but all else is superior in my view. With reg to BT im not sure about installing it in B8 but I would think most models new and used have it either as standard or a very popular option so majority will have it integrated already.
I had the 2.0 tfsi B7 and loved it engine wise especially, but im sure some who have the new version will step forward :-) - happy shopping.

Hammy969
18-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I have previously owned a B7 140 TDI S Line. And as you will see I current have a B8 of similar spec.

IMHO there is a step change for the better between the B7 and the B8.

Handling has improved
Ride has improved
Refinement has improved
Engine and power band has widened.

Can't comment on the petrol engine but all the rest of my points will still be relevant.

Ham

John140
19-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I have previously owned a B7 140 TDI S Line. And as you will see I current have a B8 of similar spec.

IMHO there is a step change for the better between the B7 and the B8.

Handling has improved
Ride has improved
Refinement has improved
Engine and power band has widened.

Can't comment on the petrol engine but all the rest of my points will still be relevant.

Ham

Pretty much agree identically with this, I had a B7 Avant TDI 140 SE from new.

The B8 is way way better than the B7 in all the areas above also including space in the rear passenger compartment, (which was always a bugbear with the B5/B6/B& A4's).
The engine has now gone from one of the gruffest diesels in the marketplace to perhaps one of the smoothest and most refined.
I've had mine for 6 months/8K miles and I can honestly say I would struggle to find anything that ****!!!es me off !
To a large degree the B8 A4 has taken away the desire to buy the A6 as previously you always had the nagging thought that you would like a bit more space.

Don't get me wrong, my B7 was a trouble-free workhorse which was still a lovely car after 4 1/2 years, but despite the large cost I wasn't dissapointed with the B8.

pitch3110
19-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Agree with Ham and J140 comments.

Moved from B7 140TDI S line manual to B8 143PS Multitronic S line.
Loved the B7 but the B8 is a step up in every respect.

Two years old last Wednesday and hit 32k today on my way back to Suffolk from Shrewsbury and car is getting loser, quicker and more frugal.

I would normally start looking in a few months at the options to change but TBH I think I will hold onto this one for a little longer as there is nothing out there that I feel I would want to change to.......well maybe a Black Edition.

Pitch

Macdoon
20-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Got myself a test drive booked for Saturday , can't wait!

markp306
20-10-2011, 01:43 PM
What is the 2.0T FSI (211ps) like, anyone got an opinion?

You may want to search through older threads in this forum. I recall seeing comments about mpg woes.

You'll notice a difference or two with a TDI 170 CR.

Macdoon
20-10-2011, 02:33 PM
You may want to search through older threads in this forum. I recall seeing comments about mpg woes.

You'll notice a difference or two with a TDI 170 CR.

I'm trawling through the threads on various forum sites as we speak, some good some bad, but generally it seems most are very impressed with the B8, although there seems to be some issues re build quality not being as good as the B7.