PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Lots of black smoke, loss of power and now rough idle when cold

badboi331
17-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi guys

I need some help from you trusted and knowledgeable folk out there.

Last few days, I noticed a lot of black smoke upon acceleration (more than you would expect from a diesel). Then it started kicking out black smoke when i accelerated normally. I didn't think too much of it but then over the next couple of days, i noticed that as well as the smoke, I stalled it everytime the car started from cold. First couple of times, i thought its just me but I started to get a bit suspicious when it happened 3rd and 4th time. I very rarely stall. Then as I was driving it today, i noticed a lack of power when changing geers. I'm guessing the loss of power is below a certain number of revs but didn't check at the time what the revs were. During this loss of power, there would be a thick cloud of black smoke from the exhaust and then the power would come back again. Later in the evening, i had to drive the mrs to hospital in an emergency and had all the same symptoms but i managed to get there. On the way back, it was extremely sluggish and lots of black smoke and there was a complete lack of power this time. Now, it hasn't been serviced for a while and because its past midnight, i haven't had the chance to check air filter, housing and intake pipes etc. I'm hoping someone can help me with this and ultimately, i'm holding my fingers crossed for someone to tell me it doesn't sound like the turbo.

EDIT: Just an update if anyone could help. This morning, I've checked the air filter, air filter chamber and intake pipes. All are clear. Oil level is pretty normal too so i'm assuming turbo is ok. Maybe i'm wrong with this. This morning, the car starts up but after about 10 secs, coughs, splutters and cuts out. I'm now getting the oil pressure warning symbol which was not there over the last few days.

gblades
17-10-2011, 09:56 AM
If you have the oil pressure warning on then dont drive the car.
What engine do you have? Look in the service book for the engine code.

badboi331
17-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I've not risked driving it since the warning light came on today. Engine code is BKE.

badboi331
19-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Quick Update. I've read the faults and I get back:

16787 P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirc. Contr. Circ Malfunction

I'm not fluent in the workings of a combustion engine but does this mean the EGR valve is faulty and stuck open as the symptoms suggest to me?

Any help is much appreciated.