PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI DSG Judder

akafudge
20-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Hello all, my first post but unfortunately as a result of a problem I am having.

The car:

Dec 2006 2.0 TDI DSG Estate SE.

The Problem.

The issue is more noticable when the car has been left overnight or at work all day but I do notice the problem at other times although not that bad that I would worry about it.

At low revs (1500) in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear with very little load on the engine, I can feel the car judder although hesitate mught be a better word. It's almost as though it wants to stall or as though there is a fueling problem. As soon as the revs are up and the engine under load it's ok.

It might sound a minor issue but it's really annoying but the dealer says they have not noticed any problem and can't do anything about it.

Just wondering if anyone has or has had a similar problem that might help me articulate the problem better to the dealer.

Many Thanks

Jonathan.

Crasher
20-07-2007, 01:37 PM
DSG boxes are beginning to give problems. An oil change would be a good idea first.

Quatrelle
20-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Briefly.....there have been others who have complained (I think there's something on this forum) about low engine speed problems with the B6 in manual form, and that it tends to bog down and sometimes stall. I thought that VW had issued a software fix for it. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm this.

akafudge
20-07-2007, 03:37 PM
DSG boxes are beginning to give problems. An oil change would be a good idea first.

Ok, but it is 6 months old and done 6k miles. Seems a bit premature as the wife keeps telling me!

akafudge
20-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Briefly.....there have been others who have complained (I think there's something on this forum) about low engine speed problems with the B6 in manual form, and that it tends to bog down and sometimes stall. I thought that VW had issued a software fix for it. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm this.

Do you think the same problem applies to the DSG auto?

Quatrelle
20-07-2007, 08:09 PM
According to the Daily Telegraph's 'Honest John' website, and I quote:

"Early 2.0TDI DSGs suffer from ECU programming that reduces torque from standstill so acceleration very poor initially until hits peak torque and suddenly accelerates. Very dangerous at T junctions and roundabouts."

Go to - www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm and follow your nose.

Yours isn't an early DSG, and it doesn't sound like yours is as bad as that, but I'd go back to the dealer, and if he prevaricates show him what's on the 'Honest John' website (take a print out if necessary).

Did you find this thread on this forum: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=11005

akafudge
20-07-2007, 09:07 PM
According to the Daily Telegraph's 'Honest John' website, and I quote:

"Early 2.0TDI DSGs suffer from ECU programming that reduces torque from standstill so acceleration very poor initially until hits peak torque and suddenly accelerates. Very dangerous at T junctions and roundabouts."

Thats interesting as on occasion I have noticed what appears to be a drop in power and sudden take off but I assumed it was because I was rolling off and on the throttle as you do sometimes when slowing for a roundabout and then see it's clear and take off again.

Back to the dealer again I think.

Many thanks for the help.

BenR
24-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Well my 2.0 TDi manual shudders at low revs if I give it too much throttle. I put it down to simple flogging of a low-reving engine; I let it pick up speed gently on its own and it's okay. Have to admit I don't know the revs though when it does this. I'll check.

akafudge
24-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Guys, an update,

The dealer has said that he has had a few similar complaints (about the hesitation) but there is nothing they can do. Apparently, it's a characteristic of the car.

My reply was, "I am so grateful for that; I didn't realise I would be so fortunate to have such a characteristic and have to live with it for the next 4 years"

Needless to say, my sarcasm was lost completely and I got the keys back.

Not a happy bunny at the moment!!!

Quatrelle
24-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I think your dealer is giving you a load of bullpoo. By 'a few similar complaints' does he mean 'all' DSG cars have that fault? If not 'all' then it's not a characteristic of the car.

You could try another dealer or go for a test drive in another dealer's DSG (get a friend to drive you there). You could also try contacting 'HonestJohn' (see my earlier post).

For what it's worth, you have my sympathy!

turbokc
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Any updates on this issue?

I have the same problem on my 2.0 TDI (manual gearbox). At about 1500 rpm the car judders as if the brakes have been applied briefly. The engine sounds OK, so I don't think it's the engine misfiring.

Anyone else having this?

Crasher
12-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Any fault codes?

turbokc
12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't have any way to read the fault codes - but there are no warning lights on.

Crasher
12-10-2007, 01:29 PM
It would be a good idea to get a code read done, no warning lights doesn’t mean there aren’t any codes.

steve_c
15-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Have got the same issue with my B6 DSG Passat (Dec 2006).

Only happens at low revs when the temp guage is at the lowest point......

turbokc
16-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes, it seems like this only happens when the engine is cold. I get it with the temp gauge at normal position but within 5 miles or so of starting, so the engine is still cold. The original poster also reported it happened when the car was cold. I took my car for a long run at the weekend and once it was fully warmed up I had no problems at all - in fact it ran really well :-)

Can't decide whether it's worth the hassle of a trip to the dealer or not...

steve_c
16-10-2007, 11:46 AM
There should be around 20 000 reasons why it should go back. Dealers like work where warranty pays out. ;) Do understand the hassle factor though......

I also have a creaking drivers door which needs adjusting so they can look at that at the same time.....but that's another well documented topic.

steve_c
26-10-2007, 09:58 AM
It would be a good idea to get a code read done, no warning lights doesn’t mean there aren’t any codes.

Mine went to the dealer yesterday, confirmed no fault codes and couldn't reproduce problem. I will need to leave the car with them overnight for them to see this. Will wait until the weather is colder and book it in then....

claranet
28-10-2007, 11:36 PM
It is interesting that as soon as I ordered my B6 Sport 2.0L TDi 170 DPF Estate on the 4th August; I started to hear about stalling problems with these engines and the reviewer(s) said the 140 was much smoother with little in the way of extra performance.
Well my I collected my Shadow Blue B6 Sport 170 DPF with all the extras I could afford, on the 13th October. I must say it is as smooth as silk and getting smoother; I guess that VW have given the software a tweak as this is a factory fresh car. I have now just done 600 miles so it it is very early days yet: no complaints yet apart from the 'Comfort Indicator' has nothing to do with comfort but is what VW call the lane change indicator - which I have switched off !!

claranet

Quatrelle
29-10-2007, 12:41 PM
... no complaints yet apart from the 'Comfort Indicator' has nothing to do with comfort but is what VW call the lane change indicator - which I have switched off !!

claranetAre you really complaining about an option that you can turn off? ;):D

Seriously though, any dealer worth his salt will look for software updates every time the car is in his hands - mine does - which should have removed the stalling problems from most B6s by now.

gazza007
29-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Mine went to the dealer yesterday, confirmed no fault codes and couldn't reproduce problem. I will need to leave the car with them overnight for them to see this. Will wait until the weather is colder and book it in then....

I have the same problem for 1st few miles from cold, feels like some kind of fuel starvation like the old days when you needed a bit more choke. Will be interested on your results Steve, may give my dealer a call anyway.

gazza007
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
A quick update, had the car in dealer overnight for them to replicate the problem but as we know it's been quite warm recently so no show, anyway they have found some VW bulletins that suggest that the problem may be caused by oil leaking into the fuel at low temp (or the other way round, can't remember) So they are going to replace a pump again not sure which one & look/clean at the injectors which they will also photograph for WV?. In on Thursday so I will report back in detail after possible repair.

Crasher
02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
That is the tandem pump on the head which produces vacuum for the servo and fuel pressure to the injectors. When it allows fuel into the vacuum section, the engine runs away and blows. We saw one at our local dealers recently and as they dropped the lower engine cover off, parts of the engine internals were lying in the tray, literally piston bits and rod bits.

gazza007
03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Tandem Pump sounds familiar, anyway we'll see what they find but it's running great anyway, hopefully if it goes colder they may be able to replicate the problem.

gazza007
10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Tandem pump has been replaced along with fuel pump & fuel filter. They found oil contamination on the fuel filter from the pump which could be the problem. We shall see.

steve_c
26-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Gazza007,

Did the Tandem Pump replacement fix the problem? Need to speak with a Technical guy at the dealership who I dealt with before on this.

Also wonder if the pumps have been modified in later models otherwise the pump replacement may be a cure of the symptom but not the cause. :(

gazza007
26-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Seems OK I've had no repetition of the intermittent problem, which would happen every few days.