PDA

View Full Version : Tuning boxes

ruggedscot
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Found what looks to be like a decent site but dont know - has anyone else had any dealings with tuningkit.de. They offer a tuning box and it looks like the more expensive versions out there for a decent price?

Wondering if anyone has had any experience of these units.

Brendan Mills
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
It may look expensive but its what you can't see inside that will make a good or bad box,personaly IDE have a remap prices are competitive and yes there are tonnes of people doing it but do your research and read reviews choose wisely and you won't regret it,I'm not too kean on the trick your ecu to pump more fuel in just to go faster without compensating with some extra turbo pressure idea,but everyone has an opinion this is just mine,proper software for your car dinns hands down to a plug and play box

FlashRemapping
11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi
Tuning boxes vary in quality massively
Firstly you have a common rail diesel and this is the only situation in which a tuning box works with any reliability
Secondly you need to know if the tuning box is digital or just a cheap resistor - the resistor style boxes are rubbish

As stated above the diesel tuning boxes can only adjust fueling quantity and rail pressure - while teh ecu will then adapt around this there is certainly more scope for improvement by remapping than using a tuning box - such as torque limiter maps etcetc

your car would gain 50BHp 110Nm from a performance remap
probably a bit less than that with a tuning box

Dave - www.flashremapping.co.uk (http://www.flashremapping.co.uk)

Akshay
07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Will these mess up the diesel particle filters? I heard those are very expensive to replace if they go wrong/get clogged up!

FlashRemapping
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
no problem to dpf as long as you do some motorway driving to allow regeneration as they are intended to do

Akshay
08-02-2012, 12:30 PM
How often would that have to be? My daily commute is quite short due to the school runs. I only hit the motorway about once a month.

Eshrules
08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
once a month should be enough, although the constant short trips won't help a diesel (let alone with DPF), standard or remapped

Akshay
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Ok thanks for letting me know. Looks like I need to take the Tig out for longer each day/week.

FlashRemapping
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Typically once in each tankful will be enough
Bet you wernt told the car needed this sort of run when you bought it

Been removing troublesome DPFs quite a lot recently - fuel economy is improved dramatically and power up as well - plus what we can get out of a remap