PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Audi A7 Owner

soofsayer
10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Hello All,

I had been looking for a few years for a car that matched the practicality and 4x4 of my RR and the sportiness of my SL55, with lower running costs. I knew in my heart that it was an impossible task.

I was first shown a brochure of an A7 by a friend of mine last year and my reaction was 'ugly'. I also never much cared for the aesthetics of the Audi cabins, not that special to me.

Couple of weeks ago I was having that same conversation about changing cars with my wife (who was ready to divorce me, the topic had been going on for ever). She suggested an Audi as it had 4 wheel drive. I took her to my local dealer in Harrogate to show her just how 'unspecial' the interiors were etc.

Well... As we drove in to the dealership forecourt I saw a black A7 eyeballing me. Next I was sitting in one with the S-line spec. Wow, I really was impressed. This car had a premium cabin, loads of electronic toys, low ride, sporty, hatch back boot, room for 5. I've felt for a while that LR build quality is questionable (I had 8 electronic problems with my RR in the first 3 months), and Merc interiors are not what they used to be, so this was a big surprise.

Took the TDi out for a test drive, it handled the country lanes better than my old SL, I was really impressed by the quattro drive making it feel like it was on rails. I'd test driven a new CLS63 (5.5 bi turbo) a few weeks earlier and although it was far more powerful than the 3 litre diesel Audi, I didn't feel I was getting around that much quicker.

I traded both my cars in the next day for a new A7 s-line diesel (the 245 engine) that was coming off a boat the next week. Black with 20" double spoke gloss alloys, tech pack etc.

Absolutely love it. Sure its not a RR or an AMG but for me it ticked all the boxes. I love the HUD and all the gadgets, and it is really well built (only 600 miles so far though). I had a minor buzz on the drivers door that the dealer needed to fix, which they did, excellent service.

Only thing is I can't bring myself to tell that friend of mine that I have bought an A7 after rubbishing them last year. hehe.

aurora7
10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
He he, what a turnaround!! Good on you; enjoy!

Architex_mA8tey
11-10-2011, 09:17 PM
welcome to the fold!! :drive:

m3-fast
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Car sounds nice! Any pics?

tsiva
06-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Had the exact thing as you - didnt like it - hideous, then I saw one in real life - now awaiting delivery