PDA

View Full Version : Question Polo '05 1.4SE Judders, Exhaust Light ON/Flashing

scouse30
09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
No probs whatsoever with this motor until this morning. Took a 5 min drive to shops all fine. Parked up for 10mins and had to pop out again. Within 2-3 min the little thing started shaking and the little tea pot light came on. Manual = Stop, slow down and go directly to dealer. Fine, but its sunday, before i get a nice big bill can any one shed any light as to what is going on?

there are a few posts here and elsewhere but i am clueless about mechanics

miles 80000
Use 100 miles per day A road to work and back
serviced in last 2months for MOT
petrol by Asda -- Have seen this as a past issue, still relevant now?

i did notice a petrol-y sulphur-y smell when sat idling - i take it this will cause more damage than good?

cheers in advance

----------

End of long day. Spring had busted, new sparks n spring and flying again. No smell, no loss of power, no judders. All well again. £70 sorted it

batteryman
08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know if you sorted this issue completely; I'm interested because my wife's 1.4FSI SE is doing exactly the same thing. The emissions warning light is on, sometimes flashing (means possibility of backfires damaging the cat) and exhaust smells of petrol when idling, When we bought it the emissions light came on on the way home - warranty issue with the lambda sensor. I presumed this time it was a lambda sensor or air mass meter fault but maybe not reading your post. Which spring had busted on your Polo?

perky85
10-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Sounds like coil pack or spark plug causing misfire

batteryman
16-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Perky, you were spot on. 4 coil packs and a reset and everthing's OK. £80.00 + VAT was the cost, had 2 new tyres and a full service (not for the 80 quid!!!) at the same time so hopefully back to normal, trouble free motoring.

To those who asked what the 1.4 FSI is like I can only say I'm well impressed. We bought the car with 17,000 miles on it; driving it home we came to the first roundabout and I thought the engine had stalled because it was so smooth and quiet compared to the other car (Audi 80 2.0E!). 5 years later with 32,000 on it it's still going great and still smooth and quiet unless something breaks. Good round town, excellent on the motorway and economical.

perky85
16-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Perky, you were spot on. 4 coil packs and a reset and everthing's OK. £80.00 + VAT was the cost, had 2 new tyres and a full service (not for the 80 quid!!!) at the same time so hopefully back to normal, trouble free motoring.

To those who asked what the 1.4 FSI is like I can only say I'm well impressed. We bought the car with 17,000 miles on it; driving it home we came to the first roundabout and I thought the engine had stalled because it was so smooth and quiet compared to the other car (Audi 80 2.0E!). 5 years later with 32,000 on it it's still going great and still smooth and quiet unless something breaks. Good round town, excellent on the motorway and economical.

Glad you got it all sorted

scouse30
14-01-2012, 01:57 PM
batteryman. sorry for the delay been mental over chrimbo. coil packs and spark indeed the issue been motoring 100% since without a bother. £76 all sorted in no time at all.
perky85 cheers for stepping in and replying.