PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Golf Plus

podwin
07-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I'm considering a Gold Plus 1.9 TDI Auto.

The one I'me looking at is an 06, and has 43k on the clock.

Is there anything I should look out for on the test drive?

I am mostly concerned about the gearbox, will it be a DSG or ordinary auto?

Also, does anyone know what tyres it is likely to have, it's an SE, doing searches brings up three different sizes.

Thanks

Martin

Frelon
24-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi Martin

Excellent choice if you are wanting a Golf on steroids!! I bought one when they first came out and have not regretted it.

I have the 2.0 GT TDi with DSG gearbox, and very smooth it is.

It has stacks of storage space and plenty of legroom in the back (compared to a "normal" Golf). The tyres fitted on mine are Goodyear Eagle NCT (205-55, 16) and have managed 40,000 miles on my first set, but remember to move them around every 10,000 miles.

Good luck with your test drive.

podwin
25-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Frelon,

I went ahead and bought it, and was very impressed with the DSG.

The car is brilliant, a little higher up, easy to see all round, excellent storage, comfy, and auto gearbox is just brilliant, and I'm touching 50 mpg on my commute.

(Christ I've changed, I sound like an old woman).

The tyres are 205s as you say, I have already got some winters sorted.

I've heard there are 7 speed and 6 speed DSG boxes, as well as wet clutch / dry clutch. It is clear to see mine is a 6 speed, what's on the 2.0?

Frelon
25-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Glad you are enjoying it. My DSG is 6 speed and I get in excess of 50 MPG on most runs.

Winter tyres make all the difference, I bought some Touran steelies a few years ago and fitted them with winter tyres. Buy them before you need them - the prices and availability become a problem when it starts snowing!!

Reminder to self - must put them on next month when temperatures drop below 7° Celsius!!

leaderzzz
26-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Ya, Just a recommendation for the Golf Plus, Mine is a 5 speed diesel 1.9 TDI and has just passed 156,000 miles.. Serviced annually and touch wood, no Problems.

I like the driving position with the exception of sometimes when i get inot the golf, I accidently press the height adjustment lever located closest to the drivers door side and the seat goes right to the floor!
Just about to multimedia the car with an Ipad and new Audio... ordered tonight.. Just need a decent set of snow tyres for this season.

lee

podwin
28-10-2011, 03:48 PM
That's some mileage!

So far, so good, the driving position is great and there is plenty of room for stuff, but.....

It didn't start first time on a cold morning, I tried again and it started.

It did it again this morning. It sounds like it starts so I stop turning over, but it stops. It started the second time, but took a few turns.

Should I be givin' it some gas/ (so to speak) when starting?

I am used to the 1.9 TDIs, and used to them starting immediately, whatever the weather.

leaderzzz
29-10-2011, 02:20 PM
That's some mileage!

So far, so good, the driving position is great and there is plenty of room for stuff, but.....

It didn't start first time on a cold morning, I tried again and it started.

It did it again this morning. It sounds like it starts so I stop turning over, but it stops. It started the second time, but took a few turns.

Should I be givin' it some gas/ (so to speak) when starting?

I am used to the 1.9 TDIs, and used to them starting immediately, whatever the weather.

Maybe the Glowplugs need replacing? I had mine done last year, again i am speaking for the 1.9TDI, which as you have rightly said, starts first time every time.

P.s. the new audio is fitted and the Ipad streams music Via Bluetooth through the Radio :) sounds brill, shame the courier company could not deliver the ipad mount this weekend.. poor show... poor show.

Hope you resolve the starting issue

Frelon
19-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Well here it is mid January and nothing more threatening than a hard frost!! Winter tyres have been on since end of November, just waiting for that first fall of snow!!

I bet Winter tyres are going to be piled high in the tyre depots this year, whereas this time last year they were like hen's teeth!!

podwin
20-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think it's going to snow at all now.

I'll be taking mine of mid Feb' I think.