View Full Version : Nox Sensor Issue - '52 Polo FSI

jonny944cs
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
’52 Polo FSI sport
Chassis: WVW ZZZ 9NZ 3Y 116373
Engine: AXU
55k miles

Hello all,
Does anyone experience of replacing the nox sensor on this particular engine. The na 1.4 FSI seems to be quite rare.
Unfortunately I don’t have access to the car to read codes yet (I have access to VCDS), the car has been diagnosed by a dealer as requiring a nox sensor replacement.
Is any adaptation, or software updating required?

ETKA lists the following parts, all available separately:
Nox Sensor…..03C 906 261
Nox ECU…… 03C 906 263
Exh Temp Sensor…… 036 906 088C

Thanks in advance

perky85
09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Short journeys tend to cause faults with Nox sensors.

I think that once they are replaced they have to be adapted but no coding required

jonny944cs
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Short journeys tend to cause faults with Nox sensors.

I think that once they are replaced they have to be adapted but no coding required

Thanks. In addtion to the sensor, the dealer installed a sofware update.

Short Journeys - Would you say the issue is the frequency of heat cycles?

vc-10
11-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Out of interest, what do you think of the 1.4 FSI? In particular power and fuel economy? The official MPG figures are better than the 1.2s (just). I get 45MPG with a bit of thrashing, I was wondering what you get? It's slightly faster than the 75PS 1.4, yet if the MPG is good then it seems like it's win-win!

perky85
11-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Not really to do with the heat cycles, more a case of condensation getting into sensor unit. As the exhaust warms up from cold you will get condensation, then if you switch off engine just as the exhaust is warming up, it doesnt give the exhaust time to get rid of that water.

perky85
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Out of interest, what do you think of the 1.4 FSI? In particular power and fuel economy? The official MPG figures are better than the 1.2s (just). I get 45MPG with a bit of thrashing, I was wondering what you get? It's slightly faster than the 75PS 1.4, yet if the MPG is good then it seems like it's win-win!

Sorry I cannot advise you on MPG figures personally.

jonny944cs
11-12-2011, 10:17 PM

It is my mothers car, but I would say fuel consumption is in the low 40's.

The engines are significantly more complicated than the port injected versions and little more tempremental, in my experience.

On the plus side, no cambelt change required as they have a timing chain instead.