PDA

View Full Version : Canbus / towbar wiring Passat B6 estate

pp241
19-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Passat B6 140tdi manual estate

Hi is there anybody out there who can help please ??????????????
Like many others I am not prepared to shell out the silly money for a genuine VW towbar & electrics and have gone down the aftermarket route via Towsure. Apart from half dismantling the interior to get the rear bumper off (far easier on my old B5), the towbar was a dream to fit. Even from Towsure the plug-in wiring kit was over £100 (the fixed towbar was only £119!)so I went for their 7 way bypass relay at £26.99.
Now for the question - to save time does anybody know what colour wires to tap into for the tail, brake and indicators. Also I am thinking of tapping into the 12v socket in the boot for the 12v feed to the bypass relay and using an inline fuse (not sure where to put it for easy access but will report back when I've sussed it).
Over to you guys ! ! !
p.s. the plastic threaded studs holding the rear lights in are fragile but good news are only 40p from VW ! ! !

Ben
19-07-2007, 07:50 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Can't help with the wiring issue, but if you wish to add some photos of you work etc and also, why not take a read of my towbar research, linked in my sig;)

PNS2007
19-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi there, you are braver than me in attempting this. I researched this before I had my towbar fitted and contacted no end of fitters both national and small local independants (inc towsure). See my thread in this forum.

You should not need to tap into any wires as the model specific wiring kit should plug in somewhere (so I was told). I would strongly suggest that you do not tap into any wiring from the loom as the vehicles wiring is quite sensitive and uses a cambus type system which should not be touched unless you know what your doing (plse accept my apologies if I'm wrong on this assumption). The passat also uses a trailer stability program which should be activated by a VW dealer which amounts to changing some codes in the engines computer. I personally would be very wary of medling with the electrics as you will void your warrenty and it could cost you a packet. Good luck though and I hope you succeed. Let us know how you get on. Neil

pp241
19-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I did read your towbar stuff - very interesting too. It seems to me that the hardware is the easy bit. I've been fitting towbars to my own vehicles for over twenty years and this is the first one that has stumped me. My trade is an engineer and I worked as a fork truck engineer for 6 years and stayed in the industry after I came off the tools for a further 12 in various roles. Canbus technology came onto lift trucks about 8 years ago, too late for me though. I spoke to a fitter at Towsure in Sheffield who has done a new Passat but his notes are now somewhere in the North Sea ! I am determined not to give up and will post the result !

pp241
19-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the post Neil, as I said I refuse to be held to ransome by VW who would get my money if it priced the plug in kit resonably. Canbus is not such a mystery as I said I do have a rudementary knowledge just need to have it explained in more detail. I think the system basically uses common wires for several functions and sends different voltages (just a few volts in many cases) to trigger the things connected to them. All the bypass relay does is sense these voltages and with the aid of a 12v supply into the relay sends a 12v output to the relevant function on the trailer / caravan. With regard to the vehicle management system yes you are right re warrenty it could be a problem. My last B5 (130 Tdi sport) had ESP as well but had no way of telling (as far as I know) when I was towing. The one big issue which I can see the need for the management system to know about is the electronic handbrake which possibly would need putting on a little more strongly.
I will let you know if I get through the minefield.
Cheers Paul

pp241
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Not that it's of much to you now but thought I'd update you on my story. The bypass relay picks up the small canbus voltages to the various light functions and by way of a 12v fused supply routes 12v to the towbar socket and so on to the trailer/caravan/jetski etc etc. Anyway after much tooling around I got hold of a vehicle wiring diagram picked up the relevant wires tapped into the boot 12v socket via a fuse and tested the socket which seemed to work. Flushed with sucess I clipped all the trim in and drove to my caravan storage pound, backed up to it plugged in and kept my fingers crossed - it worked! ! ! The cost of the WK5 bypass relay is £29.00 so I guess it was just about worth the aggro ! !

Ben
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
strangly enough, i've just uploaded a wiring diagram fo the electrics i'll be getting. only 7 pin though. see my latest post in my thread.

pp241
02-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Checked it out, same item so can vouch it does work

pp241
02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Photo of 12v power pick up off boot socket

pp241
02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Photo showing how fuse is concealed when cover is on

pp241
02-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Photo of fuse before cover is put on

Ben
02-08-2007, 08:52 PM
excelent. That has put my mind well at ease. Did you fit you own towbar from scratch?

if so, did it take long, what was involved. and what is your location?

pp241
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Photo of the 7 way bypass relay & wiring in situ (relay is black box top right).

pp241
02-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes - bit of a fiddle to get at the bumper screws (interior trim out to get the rear outer light clusters out to get at the top two bumper screws ! ! ! ) and access to towbar securing bolt holes where exhaust heat shield is (can just about bend it out of the way with the rear-most fixing off). Once you get the wiring info sorted the whole job is not that bad. It took me around 4.5 hours actual time but knowing what I do now could do it in 3 to 3.5. Have always used Towsure products and value vs quality is good. Cost for Towbar, ball, prewired 7 pin socket, 7 way bypass relay, plastic ball and socket covers inc vat and next day delivery before 10am £175.00

Ben
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi, ordered my towbar and electrics, Any chance that you noted down the colours of the wires and the terminals they went in to on the relay? I'm assiming you had to take feeds from both rear clusters.

Any additional help or notes that you can supply would be greatl appreciated.

Ben

pp241
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi Ben, Yes will dig them out and post them. I picked up the majority from the offside cluster simply because that is where the 12v feed is. The nearside is used for indicator and side light. Cheers Paul.

Ben
05-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Checked it out, same item so can vouch it does work
Thanks, it was on the strength of your post that i ordered my towbar. I'm hoping that VW have used the same colour wires throughout their ranges so that following your advice / guides / instructions should make things a lot easier.

Did you wire up the reversing light or not?

Ben
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Photo of fuse before cover is put on

what amp fuse did you use?

pp241
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi Ben, The fuse recommended with the relay was 15amp but I think the boot 12v socket is protected by a 10amp so to keep that circuit safe I used a 10amp in the feed to the relay. Obviously I will be keeping an eye on it and will have to pick up a feed to take 15amp fusing if needs be. The wiring is listed below.

Signal Wire from bypass relay Vehicle Loom Wire Colour Location
Yellow N/S Indicator Black Loom to N/S rear lamp
Blue Fog Black/Blue Loom to tailgate
Green O/S Indicator Black/Green Loom to O/S rear lamp
Brown O/S Tail Grey/Yellow Loom to O/S rear lamp
Red Brake Black/Blue Loom to N/S and/or O/S rear lamp
Black N/S Tail Brown/Grey Loom to N/S rear lamp
Grey Reverse Black/Red Loom to tailgate
White Earth Earth Point Wheelarch
(Brown Wires)

Just to confirm my car is an 07 B6 estate 140 TDI

Good luck
Paul

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified auto electrician so anybody attempting to follow what I have done must satisfy themselves that it is ok to do so on their own vehicle. I take no responsibility for any consiquences if it does not work, causes damage or injury to property or person ( or for that matter animal, mineral or vegatable - I'm sure you get what I mean)

Ben
06-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Many thanks Paul.
My towbar arrived today and i've got it all spread out in the lounge floor going through the instructions very carefully. It occured to me that i have lights in the lift up part of the boot lid so i'll have to go and see if i can find out if i'll need to locate the wires for them.

One other question, did you disconnect the battery or just pull the fuse for the indicator circuit?:confused:

Many thanks for your help

BEn

pp241
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Ben, did not disconnect battery or have ign on when I was actually scotchlocking the wires. Also did not put fuse in until ready to test. If you are not 100% then disconnect the battery to be sure. Once you power it all up (the fuse should protect any shorts !)you can test the voltage output at both the output side of the relay and the socket pins (hopefully 12v !) but the indicator buzzer will only operate under load i.e. with the trailer lights connected. I did'nt use the reverse as I only have a single 7 pin socket (the 12N) and the reverse is used on the 12S additional socket (with caravan battery charge and fridge circuits).
Good luck, let me know how you get on.
Paul

Ben
06-08-2007, 10:14 PM
My confidence grows yet further.:D

Thanks again.

Ben
11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I now have a tow bar. See this link http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13686

riverbaram
11-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi - about to start on a similar project, do you have the wiring diagram/colours please?
thanks

pp241
17-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi, if you read back up the thread the wiring info is there. Regards

pp241
17-07-2009, 10:26 AM
UPDATE July 2009; Been using this setup for two years now with no problems. I've towed trailers, my twin axle caravan and my 21 foot boat - no sweat. :drive:

rupe24655539
18-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi, I have fitted the towbar and 12n socket (and bypass relay) as described above and all works fine. I want to fit the 12S socket now I have a caravan. Any ideas where to route the wiring?:1zhelp:

paulaut72
23-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi - I like you thought fitting a towbar to my Passat B6 Est would be easy. I have also located and fitted the hardware and i am currently struggling to find out how to wire it. I have been reading the forum and have now joined so I can find out more. Please tell me where to find wiring diagram to choose correct wires to connect and which relay do I need.
Thanks.

I how now read the complete forum and have seen the info is already posted - Doh!

paulaut72
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I have tried wiring towbar today - but my wiring loom colours appear to be different to those on the list above. The colours for the RH lights appear to be okay - but the colours to fog light and LH lights don't match up. Can anyone tell me how to test the wires to see which does what? I do have a multimeter to use. Or where to get a wiring diagram for my 07 plate passat B6 estate TDi?

Thanks.

Paul.

martin1810
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
cable colour.............VW Loom............Vehicle Circuit..............Pin No.
Yelloy......................Black................. ...LH Flasher....................1
Blue........................Grey/White..........Fog Lamp......................2
White.....................Chassis earth............................................3
Green.....................Black/Green.........RH Flasher.....................4
Brown....................Grey/Yellow..........RH tail light....................5
Red........................Black/Blue............Brake Lights...................6
Black......................Brown/Grey..........LH tail light....................7

Let me know if these are not correct for your car. You can use multimeter to test which wires are functioning on the car, just test for voltage between wire and a good earth. Don't use a test lamp on a can-bus car.

paulaut72
08-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Just come in from wiring towbar - all wiring as per previous message from pp241. Apart from fog lamp was found to be Black/Red.

I also did not realise that i would have to access the LH side tail light and extend the wires to reach the relay - I looks like form the pictures posted that it is all possible from the right hand side.

Still - done now and a lot easier having read the forum than trying to do it from scratch.

Signal Wire from bypass relay Vehicle Loom Wire Colour Location
Yellow N/S Indicator Black Loom to N/S rear lamp
Blue Fog Black/Blue Loom to tailgate
Green O/S Indicator Black/Green Loom to O/S rear lamp
Brown O/S Tail Grey/Yellow Loom to O/S rear lamp
Red Brake Black/Blue Loom to N/S and/or O/S rear lamp
Black N/S Tail Brown/Grey Loom to N/S rear lamp
Grey Reverse Black/Red Loom to tailgate
White Earth Earth Point Wheelarch

Thanks Martin for the posting and thanks to pp241 for the information.:biglaugh:

Now to get towing!

Mark"H"
31-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Just fitted a tow bar to my 2007 Passat Estate this afternoon and everthing went on smoothy

I am going to fit a bypass relay, however how do you remove the boot interior trim in order to get at the electrics???

paulaut72
01-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Mark - pp241 posted pictures of the RHS of the boot showing access to the wiring - I also found this the best option.

I also found that you need to access the LHS to get to wires for LH lights and extend the cables across the boot to reach the relay.

To acces the electrics you have to remove the tie rings using Torx driver and the covers unclip - you mayhave to release the mouldings from the boot rubber as well.

Everything went smoothly with my wiring and the audible relay works well - the only thing I noticed is that the relay changes note if the indicator is on and then you apply the brakes.

I have since towed caravan and horse trailer with no problems.:D

shropslad
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi, I had a tow bar fited 2 years ago on my 2007 passat saloon, went to use for the first time & the only electrics that work are the brake lights,, I have no indicators or lights on our caravan,, I have tried a trailor board to check that it wasnt the caravan & it didnt work either, so its definatly the car.
Any ideas,, in plain english please,, be glad of any advice from you knowledgable lot.
Many thanks,

Mark

paulaut72
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
You really can't go far wrong following the advice from pp241 on the previous pages. I bought a 7 way relay, scotch lock connectors, blade fuse holder etc,. from local auto factor Mills Autosupplies for about £30. The trickiest bit is getting all the interior back together making sure not to loose too many of the metal inserts in the top of the boot side panels that are used to clip it back in place.

my advice is make sure you leave yourself enough time and don't rush it.

Good luck - Paul.

PFJones
10-09-2009, 01:51 PM
You really can't go far wrong following the advice from pp241 on the previous pages. I bought a 7 way relay, scotch lock connectors, blade fuse holder etc,. from local auto factor Mills Autosupplies for about £30. The trickiest bit is getting all the interior back together making sure not to loose too many of the metal inserts in the top of the boot side panels that are used to clip it back in place.

my advice is make sure you leave yourself enough time and don't rush it.

Good luck - Paul.

Just thought I would mention P F Jones Ltd offer unbeatable prices on top quality bypass relays. You could have got a 7 way bypass relay, scotch locks connectors, blade fuse holder, fuses, etc all for £21.00 including next day delivery to your door.

Saving you nearly £10.00

P F Jones national towbar fitting (http://www.pfjones.co.uk)

carphone1
14-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi guys, small point about the bypass relay power supply.

Bear in mind that the power socket in the boot is only live with the car ignition on and as such trailer lights will only work with the car ignition on.

Not a problem unless you need to leave the side lights or hazard lights on at night and need to leave the car.

Mik.

Yogibear666
14-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Fitted and wired up my tow bar today as per all the instructions listed here, big thanks for those.

Only problem I have is a power source for the bypass relay. Because I have a base model I dont have a 12v socket in the boot of the car and was wondering if anyone knew which other wires could be tapped into for the supply voltage.

martin1810
15-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Nearside or offside fuse box. Find a clump of fuses that are live. (on a live busbar) with ignition on. Buy fuse box repair lead from VW. Put the new terminal/lead in the fuse box and join your bypass relay power lead to that. Insert 15 amp fuse and your good to go. If you search the towbar section you will find a part number for the lead and some pictures.

weeboaby
12-08-2011, 05:13 PM
im going to wire up my towbar tomorrow with single electrics. The buy pass relay ive got came with a 25 amp fuse is this needed? also if i take a feed from the 12v socket in the boot, what size of cable should i use? 2.5, 4, or 6 mm. If the socket is fused at 10 amp should i not use the same in the inline fuse?
thanks bob

COT51E
28-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Just bought a complete towsure towbar with relay that came off an 09 passat saloon, Only found out on delivery that its got the 13 pin multi plug (lack of seller info) I'll keep this and just get an adaptor to convert to 7 pin for my trailer. Whats confusing me is my relay looks different to others ive seen and a couple of wires are cut. Can some body point me in the right direction. Seller bought the car with it on (all working) but asked the garage to remove. I know the thick red wire needs a live (15amp) feed but not sure on the 2nd red wire.

Please feel free to edit my pics with text to explain what goes where. Been quoted silly ££££ to have wired up. I can easily do this myself with a little help :)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/COT51E/IMAG0620_zpsbbcc7491.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/COT51E/IMAG0619_zps2c52945f.jpg

martin1810
28-03-2013, 08:49 PM
That's a fridge/battery charge relay. You don't have a bypass relay in the pictures.

COT51E
30-04-2013, 05:01 PM
My mistake, I found the relay wrapped up. Got all my trim apart to make a start but the colors on the TEB7AS relay did'nt help against the cars loom so i hope the list below is right.

I'm doing away with the 13 pin euro plug (as shown above) for a new 7 core as its a lot easier to wire now i know the cars loom colors.

cable colour.............VW Loom............Vehicle Circuit..............Pin No.
Yelloy......................Black................. ...LH Flasher....................1
Blue........................Grey/White..........Fog Lamp......................2
White.....................Chassis earth............................................3
Green.....................Black/Green.........RH Flasher.....................4
Brown....................Grey/Yellow..........RH tail light....................5
Red........................Black/Blue............Brake Lights...................6
Black......................Brown/Grey..........LH tail light....................7

pritch
30-03-2014, 06:41 PM
hi guys , fitted tow bar over weekend to passat estate tdi , didnt see this post before i attempted it (what a pain in the *** to wire up!), i work as a spark so have good knowledge of electrical work , wired tow bar electrics but the tail lights when connected to caravan are really dim , thought it may have been bad earth on caravan but it works fine with the audi , also my spare tail board when connected to the passat still show dim tail lights, has any one had any problems with this? all other lights are working so dont think its bad earth..... i wired all lights from the lh side of the boot except the rh indicator which i manged to wire without removing rh side plastics , has everyone else wired theres from the right and is all the cables there inc stuff for the lh side? any help appreciated

Yogibear666
30-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I wired from the right hand side and had no issues tbh. From what you have said if everything else is working correctly it could be a fault with the relay board, if only the tail lights are dim could you switch over the feeds to the board, put the feed for the brake lights to the tail light connection and vice versa and see if the lights are now dim for the brake lights, if it still is I would point to the relay board. just the way I would problem solve it.

pritch
30-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Yes that would be an option, jus a pain in the a** to strip the boot down :(, have to have a go next weekend an see what I can come up with, annoying that vw havent put a harness in an accessible plsce in boot specifically for tow bar

Dalek63
17-07-2016, 08:22 PM
this was so helpful i cant say how much, this forum is sooooo amazing for a newbie like myself.