PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Heater Matrix problem.

minny
02-10-2011, 02:42 AM
I have a suspicion that I may have a leak in the heater matrix. However, there are one or two things that are foxing me. I had to replace one on an Audi 80, I remember the fun I had with that, hence asking if anyone had any explanations.

When it cools and the heater goes on some misting on the windscreen takes place. There appears to be the smell of coolant in the cabin, especially when I put the blowers on. The same symptoms as the aud 80, but not as bad. The temp gauge stays on 60 degrees.

The problem:

Keep the blowers on enough and the windows will clear.

After driving for a good while it will goe up to 90 degrees, but goes down and then up after stopping.

Heat does come form the blowers, even on 60 degrees, never blows cold.

No loss of coolant that i have observed yet.

Hot is felt from both pipes leading form the heater matrix to the engine.

No damp is felt on the passenger side in the cabin.

There is a crack in the windscreen right in the front at the bottom of the windscreen, this doesn't seem to be on the outside oddly.

the thermostat was replaced in april when I did the timing belt.

May be I do have a very slight leak, but what do experts think.

Thanks.

portovechios
03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Did you have water pump replaced with the belt?

minny
03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, water pump, all the belts (no air con) and thermostat. There was quite a lot of gunk in the thermostat housing but I cleared all that out. I do remember the window misting a little before doing the work. Maybe it needs a good flushing. I do rememebr when I first did it, the heat coming out of the blowers on full was enough to melt your hand left in there enough. Now it's just warm, but never cold.