PDA

View Full Version : gearbox problems

simon2004
27-09-2011, 07:21 PM
hi all hoping some one can help my dad has a skoda octavia 1.9 tdi auto the othere day it started to do what i put down to clutch sliping but im not sure if these have a clutch in the autos or not can some one shead some light on this please

thanks
simon

simon2004
28-09-2011, 06:36 PM
can any one tell me if the autos have a clutch please

russ01539
29-09-2011, 08:13 AM
The gearbox in your 'auto' is a computer operated 'manual' gearbox. It has a clutch mechanism in the dual mass flywheel. It is usually the dual mass flywheel that fails on these models. A typical sympton to check to see if this is the problem would be to start the car and listen carefully to the engine. Can you hear a sound similar to what you would imagine a stone rattling around inside the engine sounds like. A sort of high pitch irregular pinking. This would indicate that the flywheel is damaged and needs to be replaced. The flywheel mechanism has the clutches in them, and usually when the flywheel is on its last legs the symptons are a slipping clutch effect. Going to a Skoda dealer would be suicide to the tune of £2500. Shop around cos you can get this problem done for as little as £750. Also dont get a new dual mass flywheel, ask for a single mass flywheel cos the dont break every 70-80000 miles. Good luck.

simon2004
29-09-2011, 05:14 PM
thanks mate thats a big help i get trade on parts so hope it will come in cheaper than that