PDA

View Full Version : Turbo gone :(

jonzx636
23-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Looks like my turbo has finally gone after 167k! 40k of those remapped.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy reconditioned turbos from?

Car is a 1.9tdi 130 2001 on a Y plate.

Based in West Mids, not that it's massively relevant.

Thanks

frankc
23-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Try midland turbo - they re-condition all types of turbo and provide a quick turnaround

Linky... www.midlandturbo.com/

Brycie
24-09-2011, 12:35 AM
If I was in your position I'd try to get my own turbo reconditioned by a VW breaker rather than buying a reconditioned one from someone else. The reason I suggest it is that my old man had his 407 turbo reconditioned for either £200 or £250. When he found out the rest of his engine was also knackered, he ebayed his turbo for £350 (and maybe could have got more imo). So I'd say it's definitely gonna be cheaper to recon your own one if you can.

Whatever you decide, hope you get it sorted without too much hassle/cost.

jonzx636
24-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Rang Midland VW, they said they don't deal with recon'd turbos as they don't last.

Midland turbo aren't open on a Saturday.

If it's a reputable place to recon the unit, I would imagine should be ok.

Rough price for new turbo fitted is £800-£1200.

jonzx636
26-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Getting a few garages saying to stay away from recon'd turbos.

However Midland Turbo can repair my own turbo for £222, if it needs just bearing/seals. Which I'm sure it does.

Has anyone had theirs down, if so has it lasted ok.

A new turbo is about £600 max from Midland Turbo (they need part code), a lot of money!

Passatman10
26-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi, my turbo was suspect according to the local main dealer and he quoted me £1556 to replace. I took it off and had it reconditioned by Midland Turbo in Nottingham. The unit when collected from them was indistinguishable from a brand new unit. I refitted it some 52000 miles ago and it still works perfectly, the original from new had only done 40000. It subsequently became apparent that the fault that I had taken the car to the main dealer for was nothing to do with the turbo but a faulty sensor and I will never know if the original turbo was kaput or not.. So much for main dealers. I would recommend Midland Turbo to anyone, great service and a great result, and looking at the vans in their car park used by many garages in the area, perhaps even main dealers????.

Brycie
27-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Getting a few garages saying to stay away from recon'd turbos.

However Midland Turbo can repair my own turbo for £222, if it needs just bearing/seals. Which I'm sure it does.

Has anyone had theirs down, if so has it lasted ok.

A new turbo is about £600 max from Midland Turbo (they need part code), a lot of money!

Don't know if it's any reassurance, but the guy that bought my Dad's reconditioned turbo was either an AA or RAC mechanic, so I guess he wasn't worried & you'd have thought he'd know his stuff.

John1525
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Mate of mine used Midland for his Golf turbo, £230 picked up and delivered, says its fine and would recommend them.