PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: 2012 Sport Retro-Fog Lamp Install

mr neon
14-09-2011, 04:08 PM
For those wondering about 2012 Sport models and installing factory fogs, you can do it.I did a test fit last evening and had success!!! http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/smile.gif It is a bit different in wiring than the 2011 due to a change in CECM's, but it can be done. You will need a fog light relay and you will have to hard wire it all in but you can still use the Euro switch but no Vagcom will be needed.

What I learned is that all 2012's retain some electrical components from the 2011 models but also have all new CECM's. This is why it is difficult to understand. All 2012 models were built in 2011, mine in particular was built in Feb of 2011. I think this is due to a newer 2013 model that was supposed to be a 2012.5.

When I went to get parts at the dealer, my Vin number comes up as a 2011 not 2012. This is based on build date not title as I learned. What happens is that when researching for the parts for fog lamps, nothing comes up based on the 2012 model or if that was even available. I had to use a 2012 R-Line model to get any info on the fogs. What shows up on the R-Lines as well is 2011 electrical parts!!! They do show a relay and fogs, but it is based on an 2011 wiring and CECM not a 2012 and newer CECM. No luck at the dealer other than I needed a relay to make the fogs work.

Baffled, I contacted VW of America and for the next hour preceded to explain what I encountered. From the technical/parts service rep, I got an answer. Seems that VW really screwed the pooch on the 2012 models. Sport models cannot have fogs based on their parts/factory configurations. R-lines do have factory fogs but no one can find the relay to the 2012 parts list or where it is located. They do show a 2011 schematic and swear it is what the car should have but it does not. Hence, their answer is sorry, you cannot alter the car from the factory. And,..the reason why you see 2011 components on the screen and not 2012 is the car came with parts for both years because the 2012 models are being built in 2011 using 2011 electrical components plus 2012 year configuration components.....26 different configurations which no dealer/parts guy will give you the time to look up. It would take hours to decipher a simple relay and trace were it goes. And, getting it correct is another issues. Hell, I could get a 2012 R-Line and find it myself before the part counter would!! Service techs verified my thoughts as well...Vin specific wiring schematics and parts are not always corrected or for that matter even right given our cars were assembled in Germany and have carry-over components that are mixed.

So with that, I know it can be done..just have to think like VW. http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/biggrin_upper.gif

The factory fogs can be hardwired in and still use the a factory relay or aftermarket match. Euro switch can be use as well. What you lose is not much. You will not get a bulb out error due to hardwired fogs, unless I find a route to the CECM for the fogs and when your high beams are on, your fogs still stay on unless you route one of the relay wires to the high beam wire of the headlights to cause the relay to cancel the fog outs when the high beams and lit.

No Vagcom coding is necessary due to the following. The 2012 CECM has static cornering lights. According to the Vin specific wiring diagrams of every 2012 car, the pin/slots that denote the fog lamp wires actually have the cornering lights installed. If you were to code the fog lights installed on Vagcom, the cornering lights would come on when you use the Euro switch. There is no way around this, even with changing Byte 18 and using different Hex combination or moving wires, it will not work. If you buy a new CECM, good luck...still will not work, remeber 26 different combos. Now, you can use cornering lights as DRL's through coding and I thought about that as an added option. Maybe put LED's in place of the H7 bulb for that cool look. The lights will still operate as cornering lights when the headlights are on but I do not know how bright they would be with LED's and I think you can dim them as well...

So, once I get the is mode finished, I plan on posting the steps with some pics for those wanting to retro fit 2012 Sports. I have a lot of people to thank for their help well, and will mention them in the DIY post. http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/biggrin.gif