PDA

View Full Version : No alarm sound or lock/unlock chirp

cobology
12-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi all just found out my alarm (sounder??) is not working on my 2000 W reg passat tdi, Although it locks unlocks indicators flash fine but no chirp, so i sat in the car locked it and waited till i could set the alarm off by movement to which it worked but just the indicators flash no horn or siren of any kind to be heard.
So i took the sounder apart ( black oval shaped device RHS under bonnet looking in from front of car to the right of the pollen filter ??) and prodded around with a MM it has power running through it all the way to the what i would call the speaker part when pressing lock/unlock on the fob so the question is could it be knackered and is there a DIY fix or is it a case of buying a replacement been looking in the scrappies but none seem to have them , are they located elsewhere:confused: dont fancy wasting money as i dont know the history of it and some of the things i have repaired so far makes me wonder what bodgers have been let loose on it.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated :biglaugh:

996jimbo
13-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Can't help with a fix but I discovered the other day that mine is the same. I'm quite happy actually as it means I can leave the dog in the car without trying to figure out how to turn the movement sensor off which always seemed to be a bit hit and miss. In fact it's possible I have permanently switched the alarm off by accident?

stonedagain
13-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi all just found out my alarm (sounder??) is not working on my 2000 W reg passat tdi, Although it locks unlocks indicators flash fine but no chirp, so i sat in the car locked it and waited till i could set the alarm off by movement to which it worked but just the indicators flash no horn or siren of any kind to be heard.
So i took the sounder apart ( black oval shaped device RHS under bonnet looking in from front of car to the right of the pollen filter ??) and prodded around with a MM it has power running through it all the way to the what i would call the speaker part when pressing lock/unlock on the fob so the question is could it be knackered and is there a DIY fix or is it a case of buying a replacement been looking in the scrappies but none seem to have them , are they located elsewhere:confused: dont fancy wasting money as i dont know the history of it and some of the things i have repaired so far makes me wonder what bodgers have been let loose on it.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated :biglaugh:
They don't normally chirp, just the indicator flash. The chirp can be enabled with VCDS.

cobology
13-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I have enabled both lock/unlock via vag-com to chirp but as i also stated it doesnt even sound when the alarm is going off just hazards flash

martin1810
14-09-2011, 10:01 PM
A VCDS read will confirm the siren isn't working. They do fail as does the internal back-up battery.