PDA

View Full Version : CV Boot (thrust washer and curved washer)

spartacus 68
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Did both CV boots (outer) at the same time I did the lower arms on my 2.5TDI quattro avant. When I turn the steering full lock to full lock I can hear a slight click. The joints were not dry (I replaced both boots before they split) and there was no noise before, but I suspect I may have inadvertantly put the thrust washer and plastic curved washer back on - the wrong way around? Can anyone please confirm? :1zhelp:

It's currently fitted with the fixed circlip nearest the transmission side of the driveshaft, then the metal thrust washer, plastic curved washer (smallest cone end facing the CV joint), then the metal clip in the splined driveshaft - that the CV joint engages when knocked into position. Should the metal thrust washer be next to the CV Joint?

Can't believe I'm going to have to strip the whole lot out again - but needs must. Think I was distracted doing the lower arms!

spartacus 68
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Found this on another site - so looks like I put it on the right way. Should the metal thrust washer sit flush with the plastic curved washer? Looking at this picture - it looks although the metal washer on the drive shaft faces the other way?14763

adamss24
12-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I put the concave washer with the dished side towards ther cv joint then the plastic washer as in the picture (with the small side towards the cv joint) then the circlip on the shaft. You might have a bolt on the suspension arms which is not fully tighten i think !

spartacus 68
12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I put the concave washer with the dished side towards ther cv joint then the plastic washer as in the picture (with the small side towards the cv joint) then the circlip on the shaft. You might have a bolt on the suspension arms which is not fully tighten i think !
Thanks for that - appreciate it. I'll check the arms just in case. I intend to jack the car up again with both front wheels off the ground and turn the steering to see if I can isolate the noise. It must be the CV, as it wasn't clicking before. To confirm - as your answer regards the metal washer can be interpreted two ways - or maybe it's just me! You're saying the metal thrust washer should face the CV joint rather than away from it (dish base - next to the metal circlip)? This picture is closer.14766

mixmaster_mike
18-09-2011, 07:05 PM
If it helps I have literally just done mine and it was the same as the picture. I have no noise so looks like you have it right.

mumutley
18-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi

I have replaced the offside cv joint on my son in laws A4 1999 1.6 Today and its the same has the photo

Working from the outer end of the shaft: - Circlip - Plastic spacer small end outer most - Metal washer dished side towards plastic spacer

spartacus 68
18-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks. I jacked up the car and there's no noise from either CV joint, hard lock to hard lock, rotating wheels, etc. There is a slight click (while turning the wheel) in the car, that's possibly coming from the steering column. Frankly I'm not investigating it any further - as it passed the MOT, and that's good enough for me. A worn power-steering assembly is a whole different ball game. Incidentally - it doesn't leak power-steering fluid!

mumutley
18-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Good all OK

RGC
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for this thread :D