PDA

View Full Version : fuel diffrence

transporter.t4
11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
after putting my old a4 tdi off the road 1996 i got a 2000 face lift a4 tdi with the poosy doosy engine full service etc etc my issue is why did my old a4 with 200000 on the clock get average of 55 mpg and my new one lucky to get 40mpg figures done fill to fill not the cars own mpg thingy is this right cause if it is im selling it and puting the old one back on the road

Lofty79
12-09-2011, 01:25 AM
you maybe should be getting more than 40 mpg depending on driving conditions. However the older engines werent so inhibited with electronic emmissions control. although the newer engines are more refined faster smoother quieter. depends what you want.

adamss24
12-09-2011, 08:03 AM
after putting my old a4 tdi off the road 1996 i got a 2000 face lift a4 tdi with the poosy doosy engine full service etc etc my issue is why did my old a4 with 200000 on the clock get average of 55 mpg and my new one lucky to get 40mpg figures done fill to fill not the cars own mpg thingy is this right cause if it is im selling it and puting the old one back on the road

That's because the old VE engines are the best engines VAG group came up with, the old AFN is more thermal efficient then the new 2.0CR engine by up to 5 % ! That's why they do return better Mpg. Take the new engines and drive them 100k and i'll see if they do still return the quoted Mpg when all the emission malarky get's clogged and the injectors and HP pump wears out ! But Lofty is right, the new engines are smoother, faster and a good compromise between performance and power...

rob1976
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Is it true the older the diesel the better it becomes? I was always told they are not run in till 100,000+ Older models are bit noisey and maybe slightly smokey but when warm they seem to give good MPG, I get 45+ from a 2.5tdi that most only get 35+ my old mans 1.9 tdi with 198,000 gives 55+ and still sounds as good and runs if not better than ever, Thats with all the usuall services ect, older models do seem to be a more strait forward layout with out all the electronic sparkles and still perform! Are we been duped towards helping the enviroment ect ect if you buy a emission free motor, but really its costing us a fortune for repairs due to all the electrical sensors that do fail. Just a groan so dont take it personel :)