PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2004 Passat PD TDi AVF - VNT Lever Movement - Is this one broken?

TKPeters
10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Been having problems with turbo pressure deviation codes & decided to take the Intake / Exhaust Pipes & Actuator off the turbo, everything look OK except for the VNT Lever, which requires NO Force to move it & it will drop back down by itself.

I guess something has snapped inside the turbo or come unattached

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ghYENKikj4

scotty33
15-09-2011, 08:00 PM
The VNT lever should move freely, if your car sometimes makes boost, it is unlikely the turbo/vnt has failed outright. If you are getting 17965 positive deviation (overboost) the vnt would likely be sticking. If 17964 underboost, there could be a vac line leaking/boost hose leaking.
To save me writing, just look at Martin 1810's excellent site for details and how to troubleshoot:

https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/home/b5-vnt-turbo-problems

TKPeters
15-09-2011, 08:12 PM
The VNT lever should move freely, if your car sometimes makes boost, it is unlikely the turbo/vnt has failed outright.

I have checked everything & replaced the MAP Sensor was still getting both 17964 & 17965 depending on how it was driven.
This is why I took the Actuator off the turbo & arm moves freely although I cannot feel anything moving in the Turbo.

When the arm is up the Turbo will run to 3000rpm although makes a terrible warbling sound with the arm down the Turbo Kicks in after 3500rpm & without the noise???

I'm trying to establish the cause of the noise without having to strip down / replace the Turbo, also I've notice Chinese eBay sellers selling a Brand New Turbo for £180

martin1810
16-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry but your observations are meaningless. When the engine starts the N75 solenoid applies vacuum to the actuator to pull the "arm up" (as you describe it). You now have maximum boost available. Below 1500 rpm you will not notice anything even though it is available. Above 1500 rpm boost will kick in at max available and you should feel it build as the revs rise. As the rpm rise the N75 should start reducing vacuum and the actuator should let the "arm down" slowly to reduce boost. So...If the arm is pulled up and stays up, you get overboost. If it doesn't pull up enough, you get underboost. You need to run a scan of the boost from 1000 to 4000 in 3rd or 4th gear wide open throttle using vag-com. That will show what is going on.

TKPeters
16-09-2011, 11:36 AM
You need to run a scan of the boost from 1000 to 4000 in 3rd or 4th gear wide open throttle using vag-com. That will show what is going on.

Tried this, as I have VAG-COM/VCDS & Its not possible to get full load in 3rd gear without limp mode kicking in, I can get approx 2000rpm in full load, before it goes into Limp Mode although this doesn't explain what the weird noise is.

martin1810
16-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Have you logged the requested boost and actual boost to find out why it goes into limp mode. If the boost stays too low it will go into limp. It will also go into limp if the boost spikes high and doesn't come down. You need to look at the log to see what the cause of limp mode is. Noise is usually a split boost pipe or a vacuum pipe leak. Have you checked all the pipes.