PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing headlamp bulbs in 2011 Golf Plus?

CJJE
09-09-2011, 10:09 PM
When I had a MkIV Golf, it was just about possible to change the headlamp bulbs by contorting your hand to squeeze in between the back of the headlamp assembly and the battery etc. (Although the official technique was by removing the front bumper!)

My present car is a Skoda Octavia, which is designed to let you slide the whole headlamp assembly forward into your hand and unplug it after removing a simple plastic nut.

But I have a new Golf Plus on order. How easy is it to fit uprated headlamp bulbs to a Golf Plus? I realise that I can't just slide the headlamp out like I can with my Octavia, but is it as difficult as my old Golf was?

Any advice please?

Chris

Getaway_Driver
09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Chris,

I don't think the Golf Plus headlight can be removed in the same way as the Octavia.
Changing the bulb is possible without removing the headlight, although if necessary you may need to remove the air filter housing etc to gain better access.

Regards,

CJJE
10-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The Skoda's headlight assembly design is so fantastic that I'm really surprised VW haven't adopted it - it lets you swap bulbs and also correct the beam for mainland Europe so easily. But if you can get your hand in through the back I'll be happy. Do you know if there's a lever to kill the LH uplift when abroad? (That saves having to stick expensive patches on the headlamp cover.)

Chris

Getaway_Driver
10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi Chris,

I'm not certain but I think on the halogen headlights you have to use the stick on patch for driving on the right.

Regards,