PDA

View Full Version : RNS315 StNav and 7 digit postcodes

Passat Sport
09-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, I finally got my RNS315 SatNav replaced under warranty (display was intermittently freezing). Having spoken to customer care I was expecting to get one with 7 digit postcodes and possibly a map update. My car was only 6 weeks old when the update came out and customer care had said that I "probably would be eligible" for upgrade.

Well I got several surprises! When I checked the new SatNav, no DAB, no Bluetooth, no postcode update. All but the postcode update were attributed to "corrupt software load". A bit surprised - the blurb states that it is a factory load with updates from SD card.

As for the SatNav, VW technical state that the 7 digit postcode update was fitted from model year 2012 RNS315 units only. "It is currently not possible to update previous models of RNS315".

When deciding on the car I was told about the 5 digit issue but also that an upgrade was in the pipeline. I might have had to pay, but to be told that they can't do it is totally unacceptable.

D4D
12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
This is News to me !

I have been informed by VW I should be getting the update as soon as the SD cards are available, If I've understood you correctly there is no point in providing SD cards to update as you can't update ?!?

Passat Sport
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I would be very interested in hearing how you get on. The information which I have is a print out from a Technical Service Handbook dated 5th Sept 2011. It states

Technical Background
Full UK postcodes were not included for licensing reasons

Production Change
Full Uk postscodes are pre-installed in production with RNS315 MY12 software onwards

Measure
Earlier vehicles currently cannot be updated to enable full UK postcodes. please note: Fitment of the version 2 map update SD card updates street mapping, but does not enable 7 digit postcodes.

Warranty Accounting Instructions
There is no warrantable fault on vehicles upplied with version 1. Seems fairly clear to me - unless pre-installed in the factory you can whistle for 7 digit postcodes on the RNS315.14765

VeDubDan
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I've had screen freezes with my RNS315 - do you know if it would be an option to pay and ungrade to the rns500?

Passat Sport
12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I've had screen freezes with my RNS315 - do you know if it would be an option to pay and ungrade to the rns500?
Assume that you mean the RNS510, AFAIK the 500 has never been an option on the B7. Sorry I don't know if VW would allow some trade back against the RNS315, but imagine that it might be unacceptably expensive - it was an £1100 upgrade option from the RNS315 when I ordered the car.

VW were quite happy to replace my RNS315 under warranty, but not one with 7 digit postcodes.

VeDubDan
12-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry, yea, that's what I meant. Think I'll just push for the warrenty change then if it's that price! ek!

Whilst on the subject, i've also had freezes when using the SD card slot, just completely locks up. Did you have something similar?

Passat Sport
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
That was from the options pricelist (£1135 today).

No problems (so far) with either SD slot or USB media-in. With my old unit the display used to just freeze and I'd only really notice when coming up to a junction and no voice prompt! Most times I could switch off and on again, it would remember the set journey and I could continue. However, on two occasions it would not respond to the On/Off button at all and I had to switch the ignition Off then On, before it would respond. Not a temperature issue because length of journey etc did not seem to affect whether it froze or not - just as likely to freeze on the 7 mile journey into work or a 150 mile journey up the motorway.

D4D
13-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Well.... I think thats crap...

So in effect then the sat nav is only useful for navigating to places you've already been and saved as a flagged destination, and for going home... Well It looks like I'll have to carry on using the iPhone Navigon to get me there and use the VW Shatnav to get me back. Glad I didn't pay extra for it...

VeDubDan
13-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I think it works ok to be honest.

Put in the postcode - "BL1 5" for example - enter street "Bolton Road" - house number "15".

I don't see the problem with that.

D4D
13-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately most of the addresses I go to, whilst using the sat Nav, are business addresses, probably 80% of the 5 digit postcodes I put in with the address details provided, don't take me to within 3-5 miles of where I want to be. On the Navigon software I use the same information takes me to within 20 yards. I also use Lat Long a bit as well (to get me to parking spots, this info is usually provided by the customer) which I can't do with the VW software either.

Most of the private addresses I've used do take me to very near to where I want to be, but tbh all it saves is entering the town name, unless you want to go to Aberystwyth your not saving a great amount of time using the postcode, you may as well just enter the address.

VeDubDan
13-09-2011, 11:19 AM
yea - I see your point.

I really do hate the fact I cannot scroll the point and say "take me THERE!" and touch the screen where I wanna go.

I go walking, climbing, MTB etc etc - basically lots of places that dont have a postcode. I know EXACTLY where I wanna go looking at google maps, so I wanna hit that destination (or long and lat or even OS co-ords! :-) ) and it take me there.

I find that most annoying.

I'm hoping someone will create a custom firmware patch at somepoint to modify the software.

D4D
13-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Apparently, with the MY12 version you can create a .vcf file that contains Lat Long, stick it on an SD and navigate to it. Which means you can find which mountain you want to ride down on google maps, right click and get the lat long and away !

I'm guessing we won't get that update :(

VeDubDan
13-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Bottoms!

PeterBrunning
30-10-2011, 01:12 PM
A Skoda dealer implied that my 'Columbus' satnav could be updated but it would cost GBP180 - my car is a year old. Personally I think that a satnav that doesn't accept the full UK postcode is not fit for purpose when most cheap ones do. However, I don't suppose that a court would back that point of view - the dealer certainly didn't!

D4D
30-10-2011, 09:18 PM
What they should do is make it open architecture, so you could put any software you like on it, that way you can update nav/maps/voices etc without being limited by VW and being shafted for being limited... Just saying.

Firkle
31-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I've been testing the VW NavCompanion website from VW Labs and although it was aimed at the RNS510 originally, the VCF files it generates are accepted by the 315 if you have the W031 database in your 315. Lat and Long destinations are no problem.

This is the format it generates:-

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
CATEGORIES:VIP
X-VIPCategory:Infrastructure
ADR;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Stansted, Essex CM24;;;;GB
X-NAVADDR:;;;;;;;;;
GEO:51.892974;0.221224
X-Flag:
REV:20070614T125300z
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Stansted, Essex CM24, Stansted, Essex CM24, , , , GB
UID:AddresBookPersistentProvider3
END:VCARD

Regards

Firkle

Firkle
31-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry I forgot to add, the site writes the data out to a SD card which your 315 will read or import if you wish to.

Firkle

VeDubDan
23-11-2011, 03:39 PM
That would be cool. I've having mine swapped out today as my head unit keeps freezing. I hope it comes with the new firmware.

ian-f
26-11-2011, 07:47 PM
At long last I just had my 315 replaced under warranty - there was a loss of DAB signal and hanging up. So I now have the later model with the correct maps (no more 'off-road' ing, on roads built in the last few years that weren't on the old maps!) has full post-code entry, so I can navigate to place I've not been to, previously you needed to know where you wanted to go unless it was an address like 56, Oldham Road, Bolton for instance.. The phone now works as it ought to, proper hands free, push a screen button (where the old 'SOS' button was) and you're given a voice dial request...! Fantastic!! Keep pushing the dealer to replace it under warranty, perseverance seems to pay off.

VeDubDan
26-11-2011, 10:10 PM
At long last I just had my 315 replaced under warranty - there was a loss of DAB signal and hanging up. So I now have the later model with the correct maps (no more 'off-road' ing, on roads built in the last few years that weren't on the old maps!) has full post-code entry, so I can navigate to place I've not been to, previously you needed to know where you wanted to go unless it was an address like 56, Oldham Road, Bolton for instance.. The phone now works as it ought to, proper hands free, push a screen button (where the old 'SOS' button was) and you're given a voice dial request...! Fantastic!! Keep pushing the dealer to replace it under warranty, perseverance seems to pay off.

what version of software is it? mine is W01 - my 315 has been replaced under warrenty but I think it's the same SW version.

ian-f
27-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi, details are;

P/N 3C0035279B
S/W 0263
H/W H34
NAV P/N 3AA919866
NAV DATA Vs 0031
NAV DATA EUR_W_031

BTW That's spooky! My spoof SatNav token address being Bolton, I notice that's where you are?

VeDubDan
28-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi Ian - how did you find those details. I'm pretty sure I have the same firmware version as I did on my previous headunit.

Did you have the older firmware before your swap out? Also, did you request the firmware upgrade? Or did the replacement unit just come with it?

Yes I'm in Bolton - that is spooky! :)

Dan

ian-f
28-11-2011, 02:57 PM
If you push and hold the SETUP button next to the screen it will go into service mode from where you can select versions.
I had the original unit that eveyone is complaining aboout with no hands free phone, 1990's SatNav interface, etc.
I have been onto VW from day two of having the car, I stated the unit didn't do as detailled on the specs,. and to my mind therefore 'wasn't fit for the purpose'. After some discussion they agreed to update it FOC, this never happened as the unit was apparently deemed to be not 'upgradeable' as this upgrade was only for MY2012!!! With the unit intermittently hanging up they swapped it out and even with my suggestion that they should at this point now ensure it gets swapped for the later unit, more by luck than intervention it happens to be the latest unit!

VeDubDan
28-11-2011, 04:07 PM
If you push and hold the SETUP button next to the screen it will go into service mode from where you can select versions.
I had the original unit that eveyone is complaining aboout with no hands free phone, 1990's SatNav interface, etc.
I have been onto VW from day two of having the car, I stated the unit didn't do as detailled on the specs,. and to my mind therefore 'wasn't fit for the purpose'. After some discussion they agreed to update it FOC, this never happened as the unit was apparently deemed to be not 'upgradeable' as this upgrade was only for MY2012!!! With the unit intermittently hanging up they swapped it out and even with my suggestion that they should at this point now ensure it gets swapped for the later unit, more by luck than intervention it happens to be the latest unit!

Excellent thanks for that - last question - is yours 11 reg or 61? I'm on the case now with VW.

ian-f
29-11-2011, 07:22 PM
June 2011. Best of luck!

bertj
26-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Some sort of conclusion to this whole satnav mess.
My dealer has been outstanding in contacting VW time and time again about upgrading model year 2011 315 satnavs. The final admission by VW is that this model/year/type of satnav cannot be upgraded in any way because of licensing restrictions. VW have now offered me a 60% goodwill refund of the original cost of the unit. This now seems to be the only option available but I think it's down to how forceful a dealer is in pursuing the matter.

D4D
27-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Same sort of thing here, although I didn't get a figure. I stopped them at having to pay anything - the car was like 6 months old...

I'll continue using my iPhone navigon for free... and it has regular FREE updates and loads more functionality and better traffic info and speed cams and.... the list goes on.

Un-impressed VW...

bertj
10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Final resolution of a sort. I received £400 today as a goodwill gesture; obviously an admission that upgrades to early versions of the 315 are impossible. This result is thanks to an outstanding dealer and salesman who have pursued VW on this matter for months. However, it would have been nice to have a decent satnav in the car that did it's job so a new TomTom is on the cards.
(Moderators - I'm not sure whether I can mention names here)

ian-f
10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Well done!

Although maybe if it starts faulting, as mine did with hang-ups on the DAB and phone, you still may end up getting the later version as an exchange.

Noirpassatcc
24-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Hi guys , sorry to jump in , i have a 2011 passat cc and my rns 315 only has the 5 digit postcode😡 , if i was able to locate a secondhand head unit from 2012 onwards does anyone know if it will just plug and play of is it not as simple as that 🤔

Cheers pete