PDA

View Full Version : Steering Vibration at parking speed...Arghhhhh!!

We11sy
07-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi All,

purchased a 2.0 tdi 143 Avant SE two weeks ago and today i took it back in to the Audi dealer for a few warranty issues to get sorted.

The main problem is the steering vibration which is best described as like holding a playstation controller on vibrate while your turning the wheel at low speed, I've had a quick look on the internet and found this to be a pretty common problem.:(

Anyway i printed off a bit of info from the web with regards to service bulletins and an apparent cure for the vibration (new U shaped hose) thinking I was being helpful and hopefully get everything sorted ASAP. The dealer was happy with the information I supplied and said he would look into it.:D

Well at the end of the day I have a voicemail on my phone saying that they have had a senior technician look at my car and he said that my steering is fine - the vibration is just a characteristic of the vehicle.... Not happy:aargh4:

So i'd appreciate any advice on how to progress this further, the car is fantastic but the steering vibration really detracts from the whole driving experience. I'm still within my 30 day return period and am seriously considering giving the car back if they won't / can't fix the problem (is that a bit harsh?).

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to some advice.

Cheers

Lofty79
07-09-2011, 07:40 PM
It could be a loose belt, they jump around under load sometimes. worth a try but im not so familiar with it being a pattern characteristic.

We11sy
07-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Until i speak to them in the morning I can only assume they would check things like belts etc...

If you google Audi B8 steering vibration there is quite a bit of info on numerous sites, and quite a few conversations about the fix for the problem being a replacement hose.

At the very best i'd be happy if the dealer replaced the hose as per other fixes and if the problem returned then I might be more persuaded to live with it if they insist it is all OK.

I feel like there is a potential fix and the dealer isn't giving it any proper consideration...

Lofty79
07-09-2011, 08:08 PM
As is typical of dealers. Ill have a little look. Make some noise and stamp yer feet. They usually listen when you shout.

robtt09
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Mine does it and has done since new .I think it is a characteristic of the car and in 36k miles has not caused a problem but is a bit weird !

fab1975
21-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi All,

Well at the end of the day I have a voicemail on my phone saying that they have had a senior technician look at my car and he said that my steering is fine - the vibration is just a characteristic of the vehicle.... Not happy:aargh4:

Cheers

Hi We11sy, since I see that your post is relatively old, I hope you have managed to sort out your problem with the steering wheel.
I had the same issue on my car after a few months since I bought it and when I took it to the dealer I had been told that the mechanic "could not HEAR the vibration". The second time the same mechanic could actually FEEL the vibration, but told me that it was normal on every car, which prompted me to reply something like: "Sure, but only if you drive offroad". The third time I suggested that the issue might have been with the U-Hose and they eventually admitted that there was an Audi internal note to all dealers about it recommending to replace exactly that part.
It sounds you might need two more visits to prove to the dealer that you are not hearing voices in the dark.
Having said so, that happened over one year ago and my steering wheel had been perfect since then!
Good luck mate.
Fab

John140
25-10-2011, 05:59 PM
My car has only suffered from this on one occasion. I was parking in the multi-storey at Southampton airport and the very smooth floor made my steering shudder or pulse as I turned the wheel at very slow speed. My car has servotronic, is this conditiuon usually associated with standard steering ?