PDA

View Full Version : Question New recall?

porty
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
My Audi S4 went for its annual service today and I asked that they look at the thermostat/water pump recall issues at the time of booking it in. The dealer had my car all day.

When I came to collect it at the end of the day, they said that they would need it for another 4 hours at another time to do some "recall work". I asked what the recall was and the service receptionist said that he didn't have those details to hand but believed that it was a new recall that had come in only today.

Does anyone know what this might be? My own theory was that my car wasn't booked in correctly and sufficient time wasn't allowed for the recall work that I had asked them to look at - the letter from Audi had said that the water pump would be about 3 hours of work, for example. It's just the whole hassle of another trip to the dealer next week that is a pain!

troc
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Well mine is in next week for a service and the thermostat recall (had water pump done last year) and it's apparently 4.5 hours to do the thermostat of which I suspect most time is taken up with removing the supercharger and related gubbins from on top of the engine (which would need to be done for the water pump too). I'm guessing the additional time to change water pump and thermostat would add another hour or so to the work which would be 5.5 hours total.

Of course if they just changed the pump and then rebuilt the engine and have now realised the thermostat needed changing at the same time.......

If it's a new recall from today, I guess I'll find about it next week.

bruboy
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
The thermostat recall was first flagged back in May - it's a day without the car as Troc says. Perhaps they ran out of time like you say but I thought both jobs involved lifting the supercharger so it would be pretty daft to return the car without sorting both.

I've not read of any more recent recalls since the thermostat...

porty
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for your replies. I suspect that there isn't a new recall, just that they'd only allowed enough time for the service when I booked it in (even though I'd mentioned the water pump recall). It's booked in again for next Monday when I expect that they'll do both of the recalls. I don't mind as such, it's just the pain of a second trip to the dealers.

porty
15-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Well my car was in this week and it wasn't a new recall that needed doing, it was the thermostat/water pump ones that they had supposed to complete on the day of my service. I wish they had been straight with me, rather than all the secrecy. However, I have had great fun filling in the questionnaire that Audi sent me about my most recent service experience!!!!!!!!