PDA

View Full Version : Trip computer / MFD

avtur
03-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Just exploring the features of my new motor, have a question about the multi function display, hope someone can help, please.

Car is SE trim with Bluemotion and DSG, I thought that this combination would bring with it the highline (?) display with the most functionality. I can't seem to find anything other than basic trip computer functions.

When I picked the car up I asked about setting up the central locking features like auto lock while in motion and single button unlock for all doors; the salesman said that these (and many other features/preferences) were available via the MFD, try as I might I can't find the extra menus.

Am I missing something in how I operate the MFD or have I misunderstood the spec of the MFD.

Thanks

Berisford
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
I think the Highline display is a £55 extra on the SE Estate but as you mention the BMT model should have it as standard.

avtur
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I was going to specify the MFD at extra cost but then saw it was included with BMT. Page 19 of the current Golf Estate brochure shows a picture of a Highline display and states it is standard on all BMT models.

It has trip1, trip2, speed and fuel consumption figures, oil temp and individual door open warnings; display is white on black. Are there any tell tale signs to help identify which display it it?

Keithuk
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Well according to the pricelist brochure as you say the BlueMotion should have the HighLine MFD.

Multifunction computer (Highline) is standard on BlueMotion models.

Obviously the setting switches are on the wiper stalk as you don't have the MFSW, it looks like a trip to the dealers? I assume you have the digital gear indicator on the MFD?

I see you have your old 1.6 TDI in your Fuelly are adding this vehicle as well?

vc-10
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Doesn't the Midline only have a small screen? IE half size?

joel10a
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Just exploring the features of my new motor, have a question about the multi function display, hope someone can help, please.

Car is SE trim with Bluemotion and DSG, I thought that this combination would bring with it the highline (?) display with the most functionality. I can't seem to find anything other than basic trip computer functions.

When I picked the car up I asked about setting up the central locking features like auto lock while in motion and single button unlock for all doors; the salesman said that these (and many other features/preferences) were available via the MFD, try as I might I can't find the extra menus.

Am I missing something in how I operate the MFD or have I misunderstood the spec of the MFD.

Thanks

You need to hold your finger on the trip button of the wiper stalk (while the car is stationary). After a few second a sub menu should appear for Audio and Setup. Use the trip button and highlight Setup and select using the OK/Reset button on the wiper stalk. You should now be able to adjust settings for convenience, Lights and Vision etc.

I hope this helps.

avtur
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Joel10a,
Many thanks, it's obviously all in the 'finger action', so have discovered there is a difference between a quick press on the 'trip' rocker and a more obvious push and hold!

I'm now pleased to discover there are many more menu options for me to investigate and learn about.

I don't think the manaul is quite as well written as it might be to highlight this point.

Anyway many thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Paul

avtur
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
I see you have your old 1.6 TDI in your Fuelly are adding this vehicle as well?

Yes will add soon enough. I have one last fill to add to the hatchbacks record then will add a profile for the estate. First job after picking up was to go straight to nearest Tesco and fill up (with 5p off voucher!), so had it brim-full within 4 miles of pick up. Looking forward to seeing how the consumption works out with the DSG. I'm on holiday this coming week so plenty of time to drive and play!

As I've mentioned before I did cover many hundreds of miles in DSG equipped demo cars so really looking forward to living with it all the time.

Here's my first DSG observation, come to a stop in gear using the footbrake, with the very lightest of pressure on the brake pedal it holds the car with clutch at biting point ready for the off, with a little more pressure on the pedal holds the car but biting point is relaxed and revs drop, with more pressure on the brake pedal the stop/start activates. I know a frequent comment about auto boxes is that some drivers feel they 'lack control', to which I would say if they take the time to learn about the technology there is in fact have a great deal of control.

Rhigour
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
with more pressure on the brake pedal the stop/start activates
Remember this will only activate if the system senses you are on an up gradient of 3% or more. A lesser slope and it will roll back on relasing footbrake untill the DSG bites (few inches), solution is to slide left foot over onto foot brake or use the handbrake and drive off the brake.

Rhigour
04-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Sorry. misread your last post you were talking of stop start and my mind went to "Hill Hold" function .