PDA

View Full Version : Question worn gear change mechanism

head5484
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a 1995 1.9tdi diesel estate and am experiencing difficulty in finding gears - not always: it would appear to be worn gear change mechanism; having removed the top of the gearchange unit, the shaft which goes into the gearbox moves appreciably; 2 questions - 1) does anyone have experience of this fault and solution 2) can the shaft be lifted from the gearbox and replaced without disturbing the mechanism inside the gearbox

many thanks

head5484

chipped3
06-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi, My Daughter has my 1994 Passat Tdi estate with 1Z engine. It had done approx 240k and last year the gear selection had become very poor. It was due to a oddly shaped black plastic part close to the cast weight that assists in the gearchange mechanism on top of the gearbox. It is easily reached with the bonnet open.

I found a VW Dealer in North Wales who had one in stock that restored the selection to as good as I could remember. It cost appox £12 and was easy to fit. It is important to keep this exposed selector mech greased and occasionally clean it all off and replace afresh. The old grease gets contaminated with dust and grit and will aid wear.

Your Dealer will print off the gear mech for you to ID the part needed but should already know the part required.