PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SE Audi Sound System distorts.

gregpot2000
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
HI There

I have now had my 2008 SE for just over a month, I’m pleased with it, and is a massive step up from the B7 I had before, but have noticed that on everything over moderate volume the Bass from the Subwoofer distorts like mad! It’s not noticeable too much as the driver, but if I say move my head further towards the back you can hear it pretty well. So to anyone sitting in the back it will sound terrible, I have turned the bass down as much as I can bare, but if bass heavy tracks come on its back straight away.

Is this normal? Or was I just spoilt before having a B7 with Bose, and therefore have unrealistic expectations of what it should be capable of?

The noise can only be described as like something like having a bit of paper in there which is vibrating against the cones.

Thanks in advance

winnie070383
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Doesn't sound normal to me, unless you have got the bass turned right over, i normally have it set about half way and it sounds fine, i have got the b&o upgrade but even standard it should handle the bass beyond half way, if you bought it from a garage take it back and also take your fav cd and have a listen in some other cars

NFRP
02-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Blown sub - had mine replaced under warranty after the 3rd visit. Dealer tried to play around with the insultation but to no avail - replaced sub, problem sorted.

gregpot2000
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I bought it from a man that runs a car buying and selling business from his house, he provided me with a warranty from warrantywise, but it's only a basic one, so doubt it could cover this. I trust him and believe he is genuine, I mean who would run a business from their house if they had something to hide, but not really sure what he could do in this instance.

Blown Sub....I'm now out of warranty, is this likely to be expensive?

I can actually see the cone pretty well, and everything actually seems to be intact and looks perfect, I've had problems with speakers before, and the cone is pressed in or cracked, but this looks fine, would the damage just be internal though?

I used to have a rattle of my drivers door speaker of my b7 and it drove me mad! the sub was always perfect though, and presumed this was due to the fact they are better made to deal with more extremes of frequency

Guest 2
03-09-2011, 02:41 PM
What month was it registered in 2008 and how many miles does it have as it may still be under Audi warranty dependant on the miles and month.

I have a Warrantywise warranty for my Renault Megane and the basic cover does not cover ICE as standard. But you can select other additional items to cover such as ICE, Airbags, MOT failure etc. Check incase it is actually included in your cover of warranty.

HTH.

gregpot2000
03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Its a July 2008, and it has 97,000 on, so very much doubt they would honour any warranty claims!

gregpot2000
08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Another question then! would it be easy enough just to replace the cone? If I went to an ICE installer and said just replace the cone with something comparable is it possible? I'm guessing with it being a passive system, it shouldn't be too difficult to just swap it over.

I've been listening to it again tonight, and although It's not upto the standard of my previous bose, I think without the distortion it wouldnt sound too bad and I could put up with it.

My next question is....does anyone know the specs, size etc of the cone currently installed? I'm struggling to find the details anywhere!