PDA

View Full Version : Heated windscreen washers

charlescampion
01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Sadly winter is approaching again.

Last winter I had real problems with my screen wash system dispite using undiluted fluid.

VW tell me that a heated jet kit is not available!

Has anyone experience of retro-fitting heated jets?

Can anyone tell me what the heated jets are linked to?

Does anyone know of an after market kit?

My plan is to run undiluted fluid, heat the fluid, change the pipe route & heat the jets.

If all this seems a little extream it is because last winter on several occassions I found myself unable to see properly in very difficult driving conditions either without anywhere safe to stop or no guarantee if I did stop of getting started again...

Thanks in advance of ant information.

Sam
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I research this every year and never get anywhere.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xq6yO5LszPs/TmCT-rvb5JI/AAAAAAAAG00/jo0-Rf5tILg/s0/955100.png

The above should help to show you where and how things run.

6E0955986 is the part number for a heated jet (#25 in the picture) then you'd have to work out where the wires run (that's where I usually give up!)

I do know they're controlled by external temperature so the wires are going to have to go into the ECU at some point.

I always planned to power them from the heated mirror switch, but as above, never got round to it at all.

charlescampion
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Sam

Thanks for your reply

I have got as far as replacing & re-routing the pipe work which I did when I serviced the car recently. This part seems to work well i.e. it delivers hot / warm fluid to the windscreen. Of course the an ambient temperature is still comparatively high. The installation also has quite a neat appearance.
This may actually be enough but it remains my intention to fit heated jets as well. Although I have not purchased the jets yet I cannot see any difficulty with the fitment since they presumably must be direct replacements. That leaves the wiring as the only problem...
Like you I thought the heated mirrors might be a good item to wire them with however since it is optional equipment I thought there might be a designed "plug in point" in the loom. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a car with this equipment fitted which I can take a good look at...

At this stage I have no idea of the current required but think the heater must be small designed to simply keep the jet ice free by preventing the heat loss due to evaporation rather than attempt to heat the water as it passes through.

Anyway thanks for the information & I will let you know if I am successful or not

Sam
02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
You're much further than I thought, how are you heating the fluid at the moment?

The wiring (seen to the left of #25 in the picture) appears to have some sort of connector so like you, I always assumed it was a case of finding out where it connects. I too have been unable to find anyone with heated jets to check though.

My understanding (like yours) is that the heated element is in the nozzle and is there to stop the fluid freezing at the tip.

I use the cheapest fluid I can find which is usually rated for -40*C - I've yet to see that freeze.

I have a plan and if it works, hopefully a new, cleverer person will reply shortly.

Crasher
03-09-2011, 12:25 AM
What do you want to know, where to wire it up to?

charlescampion
04-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Crasher

Good morning

Thanks for your reply

Yes I want to know how I might retrospectivly wire in heated windscreen washer jets.

I guess the questions now are:

1) Is there a "plug in" point in the loom & if so where. Also, is there a VW part number for this addition to the loom?

2) Otherwise, what would be a good, neat & reliable method of making this addition to the wiring of the vehicle.

My car is the diesel variant & I have a good selection of crimping tools, terminations, plugs etc

Thanks for your assistance

Crasher
04-09-2011, 04:11 PM
The power feed for the heated washer jets is very simple, it comes from a 5 amp fuse at position 1 in the fuse box and the wiring should be present from the fuse box as a black/green wire up to pin 3 of a violet coloured ten pin plug on the left A pillar coupling station behind the kick panel. From here there may be no wiring so you would have to run a black/green wire to the washer jets. The earth is supposed to come as a brown wire from pin 1 of the same violet connector. There is a VAG wiring set for the jets that is intended to plug into the wiper motor harness so I assume that the wiring must come out of the wiring harness and be left free ready for connection or the harness into the car may have to be changed. The main harness for the wiper motor on RHD cars with heated washer jets is 3B2 971 271 H up to mid 2001 and 3B2 971 271 K after that. The harness for the jets is 3B0 971 271 A.

caldirun
04-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I have not done this on a Passat yet but on my Vectra I removed the non-return valve at the pump, this allows the fluid to run back into the reservoir and it will not freeze in the pipes or nozzles (with anti-freeze washer fluid in a large volume it will not freeze in the reservoir!)

Sam
05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a plan and if it works, hopefully a new, cleverer person will reply shortly.

It worked!

Peter_HMR
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Can anyone confirm if there's a non return valve on the passat that can be removed to allow the water run into the resevoir. Also is there an easy way of heating the resevoir or has anyone done this.

nick41
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
After a few years of wanting to do this job, I've finally completed it - so my findings were;
- new heated jets are about £18 each new -
- I got the wiring (basically the 2 x two pin plugs that push on to the wiring from the jets)from ebay off a mark 4 Golf @£15
- thanks to Crasher, I wired them in as per his advice but because of limited access from the plenium chamber to the passanger side for wires, I chose to run my own 'loom' in front of the battery and in through the grommit that the boot release cable goes through and wire them into the fuse board from there
- easy job - took about an hour ;)
As for heating up the washer bottle, I'd do the heated jets first - if the winter mix of solution is strong enough it's have to be very very cold to freeze and even then it'll get to the tubes first surely?

passat tdi130
12-10-2011, 11:28 AM
and they dont work i have heated jets and they still freeze... you will see what i mean when the cold snap come's....... burrrrrrrrr

nick41
12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
well they work on our B6 that's why I spent £50 odd and the time.....I think its down to how concentrated the washer fluid is as it's the pipes leading to the jets that freeze....

caldirun
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
well they work on our B6 that's why I spent £50 odd and the time.....I think its down to how concentrated the washer fluid is as it's the pipes leading to the jets that freeze....
Thats why its a good idea to remove/disable the nonreturn valve, the mass of fluid in the tank will take much more freezing than the dribble in the pipes!! (see my previous post)
The nonreturn valves only function is to save you holding the stick for maybe a second before the washer fluid comes through, a small price to pay for cleaning the windscreen when it is below freezing.

passat tdi130
13-10-2011, 06:24 PM
is there a nrv on the line..?

caldirun
13-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Just think! what is the time lag between pulling the washer stick and water coming out of the jets, can you imagine the water flowing through the pipes that quickly!

roverman
20-10-2011, 10:32 PM
I would not remove the non-return valve on my car as this will mean the wipers running dry for sveral seconds until the fluid gets up the tubing.