PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi A4 B5 Idle Issue

stormangel
01-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Idle issue with my A4 and in need of help :(
IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE, IM SORRY I can repost it if you can tell me where it should be

I will try to keep this short. I swapped my car for an Audi A4 1.8 SE two weeks ago. Its a non turbo, ADR engine, 1995 registered. After two days it started to be hesitant on acceleration if I down geared, within 24 hours it was almost undriveable. Every time you put your foot on the accelerator when stationary nothing would happen. I had to blip the pedal hard for 3 or 4 times before I got any rev's at all. When pulling out of junction's she would do the same. When ever I changed gear be it up or down the box, she would have no rev's without hard blipping three or four times before I brought up the clutch. If I brought the clutch up before getting the rev's back up she would just not go anywhere. The idle was irratic although she never stalls. So after process of elimiation we diagnosed MAF sensor, which has now been replaced along with spark plugs and air filter. Well the hesitation issue is now but gone, leaving me with this idle issue. When I start her up she will idle at around 1300 rev's for about 2 minutes before dipping to 500 then settling on 900rpm. When I am driving and need to stop and junctions etc, she will fluctuate between 500 and 1100rpm for about 20 seconds and then again settle at a nice even idle of 900rpm. I am at a loss, I have had so many people tell me it's this, or that, and none of them really having a clue. So I am hoping that someone one here, has maybe had experience of Audi's and there issue's, can help me a little. If I turn on my climate control to auto she does seem to be performing worse, with the hesitation issue rearing it's head slightly. I have already thrown £200 at the damn car in the 2 1/2 weeks I've had it, and quite frankly Im ready to take it to the scrapper and say sod it!!!! Oh and yes I am female (altho not the dumb about car's type) but this is beyond my knowledge

kite
01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
have the car scanned for faults..
you could try cleaning the throttle body and resetting it, that should help the idle problem

stormangel
01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
OK ............ the 'mechanic' I had come out said that it couldn't be put onto an engine diagnostic as it was too old! Guess he was full of **** !! Will try cleaning the throttle body as Ive already got the cleaner to do that :) Thanks

kenney
01-09-2011, 07:28 PM
check the hoses to the rear of the cyl head,after cleaning the throttle body it must be adapted to the ECU

stormangel
01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Given the Throttle Housing a quick clean whilst still on the car, once I had all the air intake hoses off I found that they had rubbed throught the wiring loom and the wires for the MAF and Solenoid, showing 3 of the wire's core's. These have now been repaired and reinsulated. After taking the car for a long drive at various speeds ;) she seems alot better than she was. She is now not as irratic on the idle and at times she isnt doing it at all. So next job is going to be removing the throttle housing at the weekend so we can clean it all properly :) then book in for a re alignment and fault diag next week :) Thanks for all the help and comments guys.