PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Tiguan Purchase - Opinions Please

Photogirl
29-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi everybody, I've been a member of the forum for quite some time now, but this is my first post. I know that many of you are very experienced and knowledgeable and I would really appreciate your opinions on my current dilemma. Although I am keeping my current Polo, practicalities are moving me towards a roomier and more capable vehicle, and I feel that a Tiguan will be an ideal choice. I have looked at and have test driven two which interest me and I would love to know what you think. I am looking at the Sport model because the large screen Satnav and other features suit me.

First, this one: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410521362/sort/priceasc/price-to/18000/price-from/14000/model/tiguan/make/volkswagen/radius/40/postcode/rh203jl/quicksearch/true/page/3/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/7283/usedcars?logcode=flp

And: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201121388377768/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/18000/price-from/14000/model/tiguan/make/volkswagen/quicksearch/true/postcode/rh203jl/page/2/radius/40?logcode=p

I have a test driven both cars over the weekend. The black one has an immaculate leather interior and a set of brand-new tyres. It has a couple of minor marks on the body which the dealer will attend to. This dealer will give me a fair trade in on an older car that I need to get rid of, and he is also prepared to haggle positively beyond that, and includes a years warranty. At 46k this car has twice the mileage of the grey one, but being the 170bhp version it is very nice to drive.

The grey one at VW in Guildford has done half the mileage but does not have as broad a spec as the black Tig. It is the 140bhp version which also drives nicely. For some reason this one has a lot of scratches on the alloys (at least in my opinion) and the dealership will have the wheels sent away to be restored should I purchased the car. They will give a trade-in on the car I need to get rid of, but they are not amenable to haggling beyond that.

I have told both dealers that I will give them a decision tomorrow, but I'm finding it a difficult choice between the two, the low mileage of the grey one versus the enhanced spec and excellent driving performance of the black one. I am new to Tigs so comments from knowledgeable owners will be appreciated. I do very few miles per year, so maybe I should not be put off by the black one having done 46k. One comment I would make about the lower mileage grey one, is that when I test drove it the clutch felt slightly strange in that it when I released the clutch pedal there was a feeling of "crackling" under my foot (like I was treading on bubblewrap) however the dealership let me drive a brand-new Tig and the clutch felt near enough the same on that, so I would guess the crackly clutch is a feature of Tigs in general?

Any guidance on buying a used Tig will be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Lindsay

Photogirl
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Anyway, I chose the black one with all the gizmos and cream leather interior (which hopefully I won't wreck - jeans are banned!) and I've just got it home. It has rather more luxuries than my existing car so I'll need to learn how everything works. Still not sure that I like the electronic handbrake though!

royleblue
26-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Hope you're enjoying your Tiguan. It sounds great.
Personally I love the electronic handbrake. I leave the auto hold on and forget about it. Occasionally it is a bit reluctant to release but I think this could be because I leave it in reverse (after my previous Audi rolled into my neighbour's garage door) but I am parking it in first gear to test my theory.
The biggest problem I have is when I drive a car with a normal handbrake remembering to apply it.

Photogirl
26-09-2011, 10:20 PM
The biggest problem I have is when I drive a car with a normal handbrake remembering to apply it.

Yes, I've had that problem! I also sometimes forget to put the electronic handbrake on for some reason, probably because I forget it's not on 'auto' unless I tell it. I have to say I don't like it. But otherwise, I love my Tig. But I need to buy a step so that I can wash the roof!