PDA

View Full Version : Rainsensor

TommyTurboTk
27-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi
I want to apply a rainsensor to my audi a6 2004 and wonder if anyone has a solution for what I need to have that in my car?

Do I have to buy a mirror and some cables and may be a windscreen wiper relay for another car type?
I know that the a6 up to 2004 don't have this option, but the newer version has.

I am pleased to have any suggestions :1zhelp:

a8 tech
27-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Rain sensors are controlled via lin bus and the master control unit for this is j519 which your model does not have as 2004 onwards support modern networks requiring different communication bus systems

In short you need a master (j519) and a slave (wiper motor) plus the sensor

Its not impossible but unless you have plenty of time on your hands and a good understanding of electrics then its not worth the effort as you firstly need a windscreen mounting that will allow you to fit the rain sensor and support the mirror and then a hard wire to control the wiper motor when the light changes but it would be on/off as the j519 in the 4f model takes the signal information and then sends the request over the bus network to the wipers to operate depending on the rainfall and again to turn them off

Brief system explanation

Master control unit
The control unit connected to the CAN data bus takes on the master functions of the LIN data bus system.

Tasks

Conversion of local data bus messages to data format of CAN data bus

Monitoring of data bus conversion and rate of data transfer

Control of data transfer cycle

Transfer of diagnosis data from slave control
units

Slave control unit

In the LIN data bus system, individual control units, sensors or actuators can act as slave control units.

The electronics integrated in the control units evaluate the information, convert it into digital information and send it, once the request has been made, via the LIN data bus to the master
control unit.

Actuators are assigned their tasks by a signal, which comes from the master control unit via the
LIN data bus.

Following interrogation of the master control unit, the electronics integrated in the sensors send the actual status to the master control unit,
in which a target/reference comparison is carried out.

A combined sensor for rain and light detection is used for the first time in the Audi A6 ’05.The sensor includes a light-control assistant function, which relieves the driver of the job of
having to switch the driving light on manually, as well as a wiper control function, which depends on the amount of moisture on the front windscreen.

The development goal here was to integrate these functions in a compact housing.

The sensor is connected as a LIN slave to the control unit for on-board power supply J519.

Installation position

The sensor for rain and light detection is located on the windscreen in the attachment base of the
interior mirror.

Tasks of the light sensor

• Switch the driving light on and off automatically
• Activate the Coming Home/Leaving Home function
• Day/night detection for rain sensor

Switch-on conditions

The light sensor supplies the control unit for on-board power supply with information for switching on the driving light in the following situations

• Dawn/dusk
• Darkness
• Entering/travelling through tunnels
• Travelling through forests

Convenience electrics

Note

Allowances are made for disruptive influences, such as external light, dirt, vibrations or smears caused by wiper blades.

LIN Terminal 30

Terminal 31

Sensor for rain and light detection G397

theskyfox
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Just my two cents....I really really wouldnt bother. Ive got automatic wipers on my Audi, and I dont really rate them. I would rather have the manual stick option that was in my 2004 model car..as I just find its more consistent. No matter how much you play with the settings, there always seems to be a point where the wipers arent responsive enough and you end up knocking the stick up another latch to avoid a windscreen-swimming pool. If they were an optional extra I certainly wouldnt have bothered paying for them.

-Andrew

TommyTurboTk
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Okay :-)
I better leave it!

I've seen on web a relay (universal) that should do the work, but that was possible ******** :-!

Thanks for your time :-)

acid drop
04-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Just my two cents....I really really wouldnt bother. Ive got automatic wipers on my Audi, and I dont really rate them. I would rather have the manual stick option that was in my 2004 model car..as I just find its more consistent. No matter how much you play with the settings, there always seems to be a point where the wipers arent responsive enough and you end up knocking the stick up another latch to avoid a windscreen-swimming pool. If they were an optional extra I certainly wouldnt have bothered paying for them.

-Andrew Me as well