PDA

View Full Version : Bora Radio Problem

IMR
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
I have a really poor radio reception (FM - no AM at all) on a Kenwood that has recently been fitted to my Bora. I've been told it needs a 'turn on cap' fitting (25 pounds!) that only VW's need (?). But.. when I bought the car it had a poorly fitted Pioneer in it that worked perfectly (but looked rubbish). I still have the Pioneer, which I now presume has a 'turn on cap' or didn't need one in the first place. I want to sort this out myself but I don't know what i'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

thefoolmccool
31-05-2006, 11:24 PM
On these models of car, there is an amplified aerial built into the original manufacturers radio/cassette/cd player. When replacing the original equipment, a new mini amplifier with seperate pwer feed needs to be fitted. This device is available at Halfords at the price of around 15 quid. (possibly somewhere else slightly cheaper). The same thing happened with my car and this rectified the problem.

IMR
01-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for that. I ended up taking the cd player out and having a look myself. The mini amp was there but just not connected very well (fitted professionally as well). All is fine now. However this mini amp i've got is not that mini! (about 3" long cigar shape) and it took me ages to get the CD player back in place. There's not enough room for it really, It was a very tight squeeze. This explains the problem with the Pioneer when I bought the car - it worked ok but looked rubbish because it stuck out of the dash about 1" ! (and it was the wrong colour) the previous owners obviously didn't have the time to squeeze it in!