PDA

View Full Version : A4 vs A5 observations

theskyfox
19-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi guys,
Well the A4 is in today for its squeaky dash fix. They took one look at it this morning and said "Yeah..thats not normal...".

Ive been given an A5 sportback 2.0tdi 140 as my loan car. First impressions...Id say disappointing. It feels heavier to drive, despite lacking the quattro and V6. Also noticed that they really scrimp and save on the optional extras...its got Adaptive cruise control and leather seats but pretty much nothing else! I realise its probably a slightly lower specced car as a loan car, but you expect a car that they made such a big marketing hype over to have a lot more features. In short...Im glad that I got the A4, and I can't wait to get my baby back later :). Would be interesting to hear you guys thoughts!

-Andrew

robtt09
19-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Mine A4 will be going next March and A5 3.00tdi is on the list.Mainly because it has a hatchback ( I think !) and will be useful for transporting the dog. Must admit I am torn but do like the A5 looks

Gee_Hee
19-08-2011, 01:58 PM
I've been keen on getting an A5 for months now and finally in a position where I can afford a Sport, although I'd love to get a A5 s-line :-(

However, at one of the dealers the other day I noticed a A4 S-Line with 19".... and said to myself 'WOW'. It was a Executive so had the leather/Alcantara upholstery - which I think is the most stunning interior going atm!! Being a S-Line its obviously more equip than the sport

So, toying between the two atm. My price range means I could either

1) get a fairly bog standard Audi A5 Sport with 30-40k, unlikely to be a diesel, on a 08-85 plate and lucky to get any extras
or
2) an Audi A4 S-Line Executive, diesel (which is what I want), with <20k, hopefully 09 plate or better, on 19" and with all the extras that come with it

I'm really am leaning towards the A4's atm as you get so much more for your money, well that's if you dont mind missing out on the A5 'coupe' looks which I'm starting to get less bothered about

Decisions...
Decisions...
Decisions...

Hammy969
19-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Guys

I do like the A5 as a 3dr but was really disappointed with the standard equipment compared to the A4.
Gee Hee
As you will see from my picture I have an S-line Ex with 19" and leather + AMI. I have had the car from new and it has been one of the best cars I have ever had.
If you go for an A4 aim for a 2010MY as they have the smaller mirrors, LED rear lights and servotronic streering compared to the previous year.

Good Luck

Ham

Gee_Hee
19-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I was holding out for a 59 plate which I noticed had the LED rear lights... but didnt know about the smaller mirrors and servotronic steering so thanks for that. I've seen a few 10 plates but they are just out my reach atm. More research it is then for me :-)

The more I see A4 S Lines, the more I actually like them. I think the brutal stance of the A5 Sports look slightly aged (hard to explain). One of the dealers I visited had a A5 Sport parked next to a A4 S-Line, same colour, and the A4 just looked more modern, guess it was the curvy headlights that did it

The A4 S-Lines look fresher, and it helps when the interiors are virtually the same inside

One of the other reasons why I'm leaning towards the A4 is that it will probably cost me less in the future as it will be newer, have a longer warranty, and I would imagine the A4 parts will be cheaper than a A5 (although I could be wrong)

jakerade
19-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I noticed the following.

Dual zone climate not standard
Auto lights and wipers not standard
4th year warranty more expensive than A4
Cruise not standard
Rear parking sensors not standard
I am sure there were quite a few other things as well

I spec'd up an A4 avant and A5 sportback to the same level and the A5 was not far off 2k more expensive for what i think is less car?

Gee_Hee
19-08-2011, 06:46 PM
LED DRL lights not standard on A5 Sport - thats been a pain in the ****, saw 2 A5's which were close to my spec but then realised they were missing these LED DRL and had some lame halogen DLR rubbish instead!

Most A5 Sports with the smaller engines come without chrome exhaust tips, making the rear look ugly and cheap.

theskyfox
20-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah definately...the first thing I noticed is no servotronic steering. Its still power-steering, but its much heavier! and doesnt tighten up as you drive faster. Big difference when youve been driving with servo for the past 5 months. Has taken me a while to get used to manually turning the wipers/lights on/off again too LOL.

The only thing I did notice which thought was fairly cool was the sat-nav. But then you can get that on the A4 anyway :P.

Also for some reason..the aluminium trim doesnt go across just blow the passenger side airbag area? (like it does on the A4) instead there is just a little "audi" Logo..which doesnt look as flush.

-Andrew

jakerade
20-08-2011, 09:34 AM
My A4 doesnt have servotronic and i quite like it that way once you get used to it (if you ever had a mk2 golf its still very light in comparison).

On cars i have borrowed (lots of them bearing in mind its either day 27 or 28 of my car being at the dealers today) with servotronic, i find it a bit wierd when you launch out of a junction or particularly when you pile into a roundabout and it goes light however i guess you get used to it and compensate

John140
20-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah definately...the first thing I noticed is no servotronic steering. Its still power-steering, but its much heavier! and doesnt tighten up as you drive faster. Big difference when youve been driving with servo for the past 5 months. Has taken me a while to get used to manually turning the wipers/lights on/off again too LOL.

No servotronic would be a big downer for me now I have it on my A4 cus it is great. For me a plus on the A5 is the ability to have a hatchback rather than being forced down the estate route. I have an Avant which is a lovely car, but given the coice and cost difference I would rather have a hatchback, but a saloon is not 'fit for purpose' for us.
There does however seem to be a lot of evidence of scrimping on the A5..

J_B204
20-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Being one of those who seriously considered an A5 Sportback over my current car - the main thing that stopped me was the lack of a 3rd rear seat. I have to admit that it was almost all about style (which is very personal imho). I was going to have the SE (for the lighter interior) but spec the LED DRLs and have it is one of the 1800 quid colour options - but was going to move down to the 143 PS engine and no quattro to offset the DRLs and colour - it was all about the style rather than function. I'm glad I went with the A4 in the end but I do think they look good!

jakerade
20-08-2011, 01:33 PM
the facelift car due in November will have 3 rear seats although i cant imagine there is any difference between the avant rear bench and what would fit in an A5 so in theory you could probably get the rear seats from a breaker and retrofit

pitch3110
20-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I was holding out for a 59 plate which I noticed had the LED rear lights... but didnt know about the smaller mirrors and servotronic steering so thanks for that. I've seen a few 10 plates but they are just out my reach atm. More research it is then for me :-)

The more I see A4 S Lines, the more I actually like them. I think the brutal stance of the A5 Sports look slightly aged (hard to explain). One of the dealers I visited had a A5 Sport parked next to a A4 S-Line, same colour, and the A4 just looked more modern, guess it was the curvy headlights that did it

The A4 S-Lines look fresher, and it helps when the interiors are virtually the same inside

One of the other reasons why I'm leaning towards the A4 is that it will probably cost me less in the future as it will be newer, have a longer warranty, and I would imagine the A4 parts will be cheaper than a A5 (although I could be wrong)

Gee_Hee......mine is a 2010MY and is a '59 plate with smaller mirrors and LED's.

Mine is a Sline exec 143ps multitronic with MMI, 19's and lots of other goodies. What sort of money have you been seeing them for?

Pitch

Gee_Hee
20-08-2011, 06:20 PM
So far..

2.0TDi Manual, 59 plate, 15k on the clock, 18's, Executive (B&O only option missing) - £20k - In lovely Lava, but was a bit tatty with deep scratches down to the mental and also missing the important 19" alloys
2.0TDi Manual, 10 plate, 20k on the clock, 19's, Executive (B&O only option missing) - £21.5k - Yet to view but has potential
2.0TDi Manual, 09 plate, 10k on the clock, 19's, Executive (B&O only option missing) - £22.5k - Want a 2010MY and seems have had a cheap retro installation of the rear parking senors, really dont know what happened there but they werent flush and the paint was flaking off them. oh dear
2.0TDi Manual, 10 plate, mid 20k on the clock, 19's, Executive (B&O only option missing) - £22.5k - Think I can source a lower mileage model for that, and it wasnt close to 'Excellent' condition, which I would kind of expect for the year and price.

I'm not all that fussed about B&O, its not a show stopper as I hardly listen to music and when I do its on low. The 2010MY Executive's tick all of the boxes :-)

All of the above have been at an Audi Dealership. I'm also keeping out on the independent market, doesnt bother me all that much buying from outside the Audi circle

A must,,,
2.0TDi S-Line Executive
Manual but wouldn't mind going over to the dark side :-)
19"s
Less than or around 20k miles on the clock
Trying to keep away from Black lol
Below £22k

phatAvant
21-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Guys

I do like the A5 as a 3dr but was really disappointed with the standard equipment compared to the A4.
Gee Hee
As you will see from my picture I have an S-line Ex with 19" and leather + AMI. I have had the car from new and it has been one of the best cars I have ever had.
If you go for an A4 aim for a 2010MY as they have the smaller mirrors, LED rear lights and servotronic streering compared to the previous year.

Good Luck

Ham

Any comparison pics for the mirrors between the model years?

SunnyBard
21-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Being one of those who seriously considered an A5 Sportback over my current car - the main thing that stopped me was the lack of a 3rd rear seat

I started off looking at an A5 sportback, obviously the roofline is a bit lower, I found plenty of headroom once I was in, but what changed my mind was discovering that getting in/out was an unglamorous excercise in bashing my head ... so I ended buying the A4 Avant. Maybe I'll look at the A7 sportback next time!!

J_B204
21-08-2011, 10:31 PM
an A7.....once suggested that the A4 replacement could be an A7 to the missus....the conversation was very short...

SunnyBard
21-08-2011, 10:43 PM
once suggested that the A4 replacement could be an A7 to the missus....the conversation was very short...

I don't have that obstacle to overcome, had a crafty look at one while I happened to be in a dealership the other month, but I think an extra £20k on the price might be a large enough obstacle by itself ....

Bratty
21-08-2011, 11:06 PM
A4 B8 models produced from ca. May/June 2009 were MY 2010 Models.

Dunk