PDA

View Full Version : How do you replace piston rings 1.9tdi

hibbsy21
15-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Hi all,

I need to replace the piston rings on the AHU engine, just wanted a rough idea on how it should be done?

I have read on another forum site that it is fairly simple, head off, sump off, undo the bolts on the crank an push the pistons up through to the top of the block. Is this in anyway correct?

Cheers

Rich

boost-addict
22-08-2011, 12:29 AM
that is one way to do it,
if you havent got access to a ramp or pit its hard work lying on your back doing all thats nessasary, i would also recommend replacing the big end shells while your there. unless it has low miles
make sure you do one at a time and then of course time it all up properly its all doable with the engine in situ.

hibbsy21
29-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Awesome, i shall be doing this soon, when i have finished moving house. Nightmare without the audi!

Rich

adamss24
29-08-2011, 10:29 AM
What is the mileage and what makes you think the rings are ****** ? I have rebuilt engines with 200k + on them and the pistons rings were in great shape and compressions within spec. You will need to do a light hone to the engine and get oversize rings if you carry on with your project. Also you will need new head bolt, rod bolts and big end bearings, new head gasket and hydraulic lifters. For the amount of work involved i would just buy a known good engine ! I have rebuilt a AHH engine with aftermarket rods, lowered cr pistons, honed block and it cost me 2 grand (rods and pistons were the best part of a grand!) but i've done-it for performance, your rebuild will cost a few hundred pounds in parts then you need to pay a shop to hone the block.

hibbsy21
29-08-2011, 11:19 AM
The engine over runs. When the turbo went it ****** out all the oil and i had to drive about half a mile to get to the petrol station to get some more oil. there was funny scraping noises. If the engine turns out to be worse than expected then i will replace engine, or as you said leave it as a performance project. I dont need the car at the moment and money isnt really an issue.

Thanks for the reply and any more info would be great.

Rich

Crasher
29-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Don’t forget that to remove the sump you also have to drop the front suspension subframe.

hibbsy21
29-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Good to know crasher, I didn't know that.

Rich

mumutley
29-08-2011, 11:02 PM
And don't forget you will require a piston ring compressor

hibbsy21
02-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Already got one ;)

Rich