PDA

View Full Version : A6 1.8SE 1999 Petrol (Accelation prob..)

SteveA6
16-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Help as our local Garage can’t…?
Car runs fine if cruising but if you go to overtake it is temperamental, put the foot down it will start to judder and then loose power, take the foot off the pedal and accelerate again it will pick up again. Ongoing problems and we have no local Audi dealer to assist…
Any suggestions would be most welcome. (Help!)
Cheers
Steve

Crasher
16-07-2007, 05:19 PM
A fault code read first but that sounds like the Air Mass Meter.

SteveA6
16-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Many thanks I will have that checked...
Regards
Steve

TonyT
16-07-2007, 07:19 PM
would agree with the above reply. Had a similar problem with my car and had to replace the amm, car has been fine since. BUT I was getting a fault code so diagnosis was easy.
TonyT

SteveA6
16-07-2007, 07:42 PM
No fault code was evident on the car which has made the diagnosis difficult thus I have been pulling my hair out (bald anyway!!) with the garage who more or less gave up on it… Hope we can not get to the root of the cause.

Cheers Tony

TonyT
16-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Have you checked the hosefrom the airbox to engine? would have thought the garage would have checked it but you never know. Had a split hose on my old car and when you put the foot down the engine rocked and the split on the pipe opened the when you took foot of the acc the engine returned to normal position and all ok. it was a 2.0ltr 16v cavalier with a redtop engine. If you acc gently it was ok.

worth a good poke about as it would cost you nothing to look.

TonyT

Crasher
16-07-2007, 09:52 PM
A faulty AMM will very rarely show up as a fault code. It is very easy for me to recommend you throw £70 or so at the car as it isn’t my money but I would suggest you fitted a genuine VAG AMM before you do anything else.

TonyT
17-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Why a genuine AMM? I had fault codes relating to fuel trim, done a few internet searches that related to this code all pointed towards AMM. Fitted a bosch unit, not had a problem since. Not stirring, just nosey to find out.

TonyT

Crasher
17-07-2007, 10:51 AM
I have experienced multiple failures of Bosch and other brand aftermarket AMM's as there is a huge trade in counterfeit versions that are even being sold by major suppliers. As time is money and a failed part looks bad on my company, we use only genuine VAG units but even these can fail immediately. If you are repairing your own car and a part fails, it’s inconvenient and the supplier is responsible. Also, genuine VAG units are only a few pounds more than flea bay items. Also, I despise doing a job twice.