PDA

View Full Version : B6 recall?? and my wheel bearing saga

hc25036
16-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Just spoke with my Main Dealer who confirmed that the wheel bearing on my 2006 2.0 TDi Estate is shot (see earlier thread) but that they can't find one anywhere! VW has them on back-order and local Dealers are out of stock - has there been a problem?

He also said that as they had the car he'll action the upcoming recall to replace the steering column. Any news on that?

Col
16-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Shocking.

I had an old 1974 Mini which used to eat wheel bearings.

I then drove mainly Fords for many years and the Mrs has as well up until a few years ago. Never had any problems with any of them, whatsoever.

The Mrs got a MK3 Golf gti and I had to replace both rear bearings and I read a lot about bearing failures on 'our' cars.

They must be a real weak point, you'd think in this day and age the VAG would have sorted out this vital component by now.

Quatrelle
16-07-2007, 08:59 PM
He also said that as they had the car he'll action the upcoming recall to replace the steering column. Any news on that?
Wow - Steering column? What's that all about? Can you find out anything else from him on this? What month is your 2006 Passat? It might be production-date related. I bought mine in December but haven't bothered to try to find out when it was made.

Mine was recalled in February this year to check the waterproofing of the wiper motor and 'fuel cooling'. The wiper motor was ok but they had to do the fuel cooling (whatever that involved!) - this may have been something specific to lhd models perhaps.

Keep us posted?

hc25036
17-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Regarding the steering column it's B6 Passats sold up to June 06 with a specific chassis number (? 3 something). "There's no risk of failure" but it is a precautionary replacement, and all keys need to be re-programmed. That's all I could get out of them.

Quatrelle
17-07-2007, 11:08 AM
hc25036 - Thanks for that.

That will cost VW. Hopefully mine was made after that and didn't take an age to find it's way to my dealer and finally to my garage! Again, it may not affect lhd cars.

passat170
17-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the recalls database:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Can't see any recall on the B6 Passat relating to wheel bearings.

Interestingly the wiper problem also involved a software update to fix a problem whereby the wipers failed to operate.

Cheers,
J

hc25036
17-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Passat170 - apologies for the mixed thread. The recall is for the steering column and "is about to happen". It's being done on mine because it is in for a wheel bearing in any case.....

Slimbarry
15-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Can I just ask, what are the symptons of a gone wheel bearing on the passat? I have had other cars with shot wheel bearings but they were old cars and it was obvious...

Cheers.

hc25036
15-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Noise! Like the noise you get on a bad rutted road but all the time. When the bearing was replaced I realised there was also some vibration through the steering wheel but I wouldn't rely on that.

Quatrelle
15-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Definitely noise, as hc25036 says. Can also make a droning noise that gets louder the faster you go. Sometimes makes more noise when turning left or right. Often, if you go to a garage and suggest a bearing is going, the technician(?) will hare off down the road in your car, swerving violently from left to right...

carl s
16-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Regarding the steering column it's B6 Passats sold up to June 06 with a specific chassis number (? 3 something). "There's no risk of failure" but it is a precautionary replacement, and all keys need to be re-programmed. That's all I could get out of them.

...as opposed to the ones built after June 2006 like mine which has ended up with a new steering rack instead :confused:

2manygolfbitz
28-08-2007, 04:15 AM
The problem is that VW DON'T tell you to go back after 1000 and at 5000 miles to have the bearings at the rear readjusted it is something i have always done when ever I have changed one for either me or someone else.
It's a twin opposed taper wheel bearing assembly the same type that was used for years on rear wheel drive cars,it beds in quite quickly and if it is NOT adjusted after this bedding in period,it will wear and need replacing again sooner than it should do.
plus with the extended services it can get overlooked and the extended times are maybe too long?
Also I have seen many many times evidence that the dealers/garage mechanic does not half fill the dust/expansion cap on the bearing with grease,so when it heats up the grease runs into cap and as it cools it solidifies and then there is no longer enough grease in the bearing
The bearing have to be packed internally with grease(they are supplied dry from the manufacturers) to function properly there are many ways of doing this but it has to be done thoroughly.
I worked for VW once for three months and left.I am used to working as an aircraft engineer and VW's quality of work is not what i would call Good to say the least.
Not where I worked anyhow plus have had many experiences of dissatisfaction from many VW owners in my area with costs and failure to fix but they still billing for parts and labour.

tornadored7
31-08-2007, 02:09 AM
The problem is that VW DON'T tell you to go back after 1000 and at 5000 miles to have the bearings at the rear readjusted it is something i have always done when ever I have changed one for either me or someone else.
It's a twin opposed taper wheel bearing assembly the same type that was used for years on rear wheel drive cars,it beds in quite quickly and if it is NOT adjusted after this bedding in period,it will wear and need replacing again sooner than it should do.
plus with the extended services it can get overlooked and the extended times are maybe too long?

Hi 2many,

Hope you don't mind if I divert the thread slightly, with respect to a Golf MK3. This has taper bearings on the rear wheel, but I'm not sure if this is the same as on the Passat.

I have tried many times to adjust the play out of the rear wheel bearing, including replacing the bearing. However, the play just doesn't adjust out.
It might be possible to remove rear wheel play, but this would require overtightening the locking washer, so that it can't be 'moved with a screwdriver'.

Could a worn/damaged stub axle possibly be causing this issue ?

Quatrelle
31-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't there be some play on taper roller bearings, or am I getting confused with another type of bearing? (probably!).

Bob9109
03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Would just like to add that I am another B6 owner whose bearings are starting to wear after 13000 miles. Are they likely to be the front or rear???:zx11:

Quatrelle
03-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Would just like to add that I am another B6 owner whose bearings are starting to wear after 13000 miles. Are they likely to be the front or rear???:zx11:
Have a read of '2manygolfbitz's post earlier in this thread.....

Bob9109
03-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Car was serviced yesterday and VW have decided it is the front wheel bearings that have gone and no surprise they don't have them in stock! Therefore we are back on 22nd for the fix. When I asked the service rep she replied that it was 'normal wear and tear'!!! can you believe it wheel bearings going after what is now 16712 miles? There is clearly something wrong in the manufacturing process and VW should put it right. Not a happy bunny :confused: