PDA

View Full Version : How To Play Spotify through IPod touch 4thGen/ Iphone through modified MMI

superspurs
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Back ground..
What a great idea, brought an old ipod touch 4th gen and installed Spotify to play music. Connected it via IPod cable , but MMI switches the IPod back to music and pauses Spotify.
After pressing play ( pauses after 5 seconds) 5 times, the MMI/IPod gets the hint and now continues playing music from Spotify...until the phone rings, then back to beginning. What a disappointment and bloody ackward as IPod in glovebox..
So need to do two things.
1- move IPod to Below sat nav screen
2- Make the MMI think IPod not attached but AUX attached, but still charge IPod.

1- So done some research and came across warren.ashcroft posts on A5OC for modifying IPod cable to AUX for bluetooth use (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/14986-bluetooth-audio-via-mmi.html) by changing resistor in cable.
I done this as well, but the IPOD would not charge. Tried an old nano which charged. So power was there but IPod not using it. I also found some info about the connection of IPod and found that the IPod could be forced to charge by the use of resistors across usb pins. On opening IPod end of MMI cable it was apparent some where fitted. I reconnected all except the Ipod coms TX / RX. Tried again and IPod now charges, The MMI thinks it is connected to AUX and you can do what you want with IPod.
2- Brought a £5 extention cable to plug into MMi cable, now fit IPod into phone holder by vent and can see/operate it safely.
:approve::approve:

Next job to run cable internally away from glovebox or move MMI socket.
Any one done this yet?:confused:

AndyH123
12-08-2011, 12:25 PM
A bit beyond my talents, but appreciate you sharing the knowledge!

My perfect scenario would be Spotify on Android via bluetooth audio which plays nice with incoming / outgoing phone calls while retaining the current hard disk in the glove box. Think I'll be waiting a while..

superspurs
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Couldn't agree more, that was my ideal and it led me here.
Had a nokia smartphone with Spotify, brought a MMI aux cable and a bluetooth reciever whiched I connected together. The reciever had a rechargeable so I could leave it glove box. The phone played music through reciever and aux and phonecalls through audi handsfree.
Worked great but drawbacks where switching it on, keeping it charges etc etc.
So it led me to buy an old IPod touch to install spotify on and use the Ipod cable. Still was a pain as above, but now its sorted.
I have adapted a phone holder attached to vent that has a IPod plug fixed to it. Now I just stick it in the holder, no plugs, it charges and plays anything I ask as the MMi doesnt interfere.
I have also just fitted a 3G MIFI unit to the car so that occupants can connect to the internet and the IPod keeps updated.

superspurs
12-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Attached is an update to Warrens Ashcrofts (A5OC) instruction with IPod connector information and table of cross referenced pin/colour ipod to ipod MMI cable.
I disconnected only the Ipod Coms TX and RX from MMI plug.
Also a couple of photos of the modified phone holder. Still to get a file out and radius in off a bit to make more pleasing to the eye.
Enjoy.http://www.a5oc.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Big thanks to Warren for posting the information in the first place.

superspurs
04-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Now done 3000 miles with this modifiied AMI/Ipod cable and touch. Had a instance of AMI / satnav shutting down and resetting itsself.
With touch docked now shows devices as AUX and USB(not supported) in list. AUX and music working fine.

superspurs
29-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Update to this post.
Have been using the modified ipod cable for some time but with Is5 for Iphone update somethings have changed.
Upgraded the ipod touch 3g to the latest ipod/iphone software last week. so thought I would try the original unmodified ipod cable (blue one) to see if new software had been tweaked and had any changes to AMI 3G system.
When selecting Ipod from Media, the ipod played ipod music automatically. Tried the Spotify app and played music. To my suprise the Audi DID not switch back itunes and stayed playing spotify. Tested a bluetooth phone call, Spotify paused and after ending call Spotify restarted automatically. RESULT.
Further tests showed that using the next previous button in centre console advances tracks.
The main display shows the itunes list whilst playing spotify. The time length of track just keeps going. If you have full detail selected for track info it is blank. Also the info screen just shows IPOD not track name.
Should you want to select itunes from sterring wheel, itunes plays. Pressing the play buttonon soptify restarts spotify.
Also whilst ipod remains connected, when turning off ignition Spotify pauses and when starting ignition spotify restarts and plays automatically.

The above changes with IPOD software now mean I no longer need to use the modified cable anymore.

Would be great if spotify could deliver the track name to AMI , but I believe ipod has to be jailbroken to do that.

I am waiting for my iphone 4s to arrive next week will let you know if it all works the same.