PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Considering Leasing an Audi A4 and have a few queries........

JOEG7406
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
All,

I hope you can assist. I currently drive a Ford Mondeo Titanium X with Sports Kit and I am due a new company car. The Mondeo has been a decent car and I have been spoiled with the space. I have found myself changing vehicles at at a time when a lot of manufacturers are just about to change/ facelift vehicles i.e. 3 series, Mazda 6 (planned 2012), Passat CC (planned 2012). I am also aware that the A4 has a planned facelift but I have been offered what seems like a decent deal on a couple of versions.
I have been offered the A4 S line with AMI (136ps) 2 litre diesel and the A4 tecknik as standard (136ps) 2 litre diesel. I list my queries below and would appreciate you guys assistance in my choice:

What are the expected facelift changes and should these affect my decision to take the current model?
What is your opinion of the models that I am being offered and which variant would you opt for? ( I like the look of the S Line but have heard bad things about the ride and I do like toys!)
Does the S Line have Lumber support as standard as the brochure states that it does and I was unaware of this, I am sure the SE and Tecknik do not?
Your opinions as experts on this particular subject would be gratefully received.

Regards
Joe

bhprs
10-08-2011, 09:01 PM
hi
it all depends on what is important to you. teknik has leather ,satnv parking plus as standard all would cost well over 2500 quid on the sline. teknikis a good spec car probably cheaper on lease and same engine .but if you can do without satnav ,your able to park un aided and leather is not your thing then id say the s line is a better bet . more standard features ,the lovely drl s better handling and as you say great looks. lumbar came with my 2010 model when new so i would guess its standard fit .as i said its really a personal thing of which is best for you and your lifestyle and budget . hope this helps and im sure youll be happy with either

JOEG7406
10-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the information. Does the S Line not come with Acoustic rear parking sensors? I know that the Teknik has the parking plus, but I'm sure I could can cope with the acoustic sensors as I have this in my mondeo currently.

Joe

Hammy969
10-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Joe

The S Line has parking sensors as standard.
If you have come from a sportier orientated model, you would be better with the S Line. The S Lines seats are by far head and shoulders above the tecknik's standards seats. IMHO the S Line seats are some of the best and were high on my "to have" list when I bought my current car.

Best option is to drive both yourself and then you'll have a better understanding of the drive.

Ham

JOEG7406
10-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks Hammy,

I am leaning towards the S Line. The only problem is that due to cost restrictions I have to have solid paint, so it is either Ibis White or Briliant Black. I think the car looks great in Black but it is murder to keep clean. Thanks again for the info.

Joe

Hippogriff
10-08-2011, 11:22 PM
The S line comes with DRLs, so it's an easy choice.

Brilliant black is not bad - see my signature as what you're considering is almost exactly like what I have. Yes, it can get dirty... but she does like to be a bit dirty, the dirty girl.

I wasn't limited on my choices, but I don't (won't) pay for paint. :p Brilliant black is, therefore, the only choice... had two A4s, both solid black. Neighbours think I'm a G-Man.

White if you already own a salon... or are thinking of getting one.

P.S. - if there's anything you can stretch to adding beyond what is on offer... I'd do the interior light pack, but I do love my advanced key too.

JOEG7406
11-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks hippo,
Any thoughts on the facelift and the changes that are due.

Joe

jakerade
11-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi

Facelift due in march. Have a look at the A5 on www.audi.de (http://www.audi.de). Its basically headlights and revised MMI. Some pics below

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?122554-2012-A5-Facelift

There are some "coated" plastics around the centre console as well which is a trick they did on the B7.

The other big change will be that the engines will be much more efficient (from a tax perspective only i suspect!!) and the 170 is going to 177 as per the new A6. You can see the A5 engines on the link below but there is no 136 on that model at the mo, however the 177 is putting out only 122 g/km so i bet the 136 will be way under the current 120g/km

http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwagen/a5/a5_sportback/informieren/design/exterieur.html#source=http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwagen/a5/a5_sportback/informieren/technische_daten.html&container=page

Having had lots of different A4's in the last few weeks, i wouldnt have an SE/Technik even with full leather if i could have an S-Line. I just dont like the seats and the steering wheel. They dont drive badly but i would have to have the sports suspension and the bigger wheels of the S-line give you a lot more "drive" out of corners if you are a sporty driver. Go for the lowered S-line suspension (non-cost) if you like a sporty drive.

One thing i have noticed is that the front S-line seats have definitely changed between the 2008 and 2009 model years. Not quite as comfy as i think they have made more rear passenger leg room in the back of them and shortened the seat slightly... However i am sure i will get used to them.

jakerade
11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
as others said above, interior light pack, storage pack and tyre pressure sensor monitor are sensible additions. Also hill hold is cheap and I would probably spec next time even though i have never tried it!

Hippogriff
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks hippo,
Any thoughts on the facelift and the changes that are due.

Joe

I'd not be overly concerned... the S line will still be a great looking car regardless. I see "model revision" and "facelift" as a general Audi tactic (excuse?) to go and reduce the quality of their bits which often has the side-effect of introducing more rattles, buzzes and whines... all in the name of cost, of course. But, then, I'm a glass-is-half-empty kind of guy. :(

Someone mentioned the S line steering wheel... yes, I like this a lot. When I had a non S line loaner from Audi, I didn't like that steering wheel at all.

I think this is an easy choice.

Hippogriff
11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
as others said above, interior light pack, storage pack and tyre pressure sensor monitor are sensible additions. Also hill hold is cheap and I would probably spec next time even though i have never tried it!

TPMS?!?!? Useless piece of nothingness. I want it to shout at me "everything's OK" when starting the car up, with a colourful icon in the DIS or MMI - not just sit there, quietly, with a "no news is good news" kind of attitude.

NickH A4
11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
S line all the way.

Those DRLs are fab and the Xenons are worlds apart from the standard lights, night time driving really is 'night and day'.

Make sure you definitely spec the interior lighting pack, I have sound pack too (DAB and B&O) and it's superb, if your budget stretches definitely get that.

Regarding the suspension I would recommend the additonal 20mm drop, sets the car off nicely but make sure that as part of the PDI they check the geo. I'm having 4 new tyres because of this, they're wearing on the outside more than the rest of the tyre so they have positive camber, hmmmm, not ideal for improved handling.

The other thing that I haven't seen mentioned is quattro, do you have a chance to spec this? If so, in the words of Mrs Doyle, go on, go on, go on. You won't regret it!

HTH

Nick

jakerade
11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
however, if £50 makes the difference between a tyre that can be repaired v a tyre that is hanging off the rim, i would pay the £50.

The dealer summed the whole S-line thing up nicely for me the other day. If you have had an S-line, an SE is like driving a different car.

JOEG7406
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Nick,

Where does the interior lighting pack differ from the standard option? I presume standard will have front located reading lights as standard and electric window/mirror buttons lit up??? My mondeo had front and rear reading lights, vanity mirror lights and footwell lights. I imagine these are the kind of thing in the interior light package on the A4.

Joe

JOEG7406
11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
All,

I am finding the Audi website next to useless for finding info. What suspension comes on the S Line as standard. Is it sports (20mm lowered) or s line (30mm lowered). Also what one is best?

Joe

Hippogriff
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
A few 50p LEDs, yes. But with pre-drilled holes and wires, so that you don't have to become tempted to do it yourself, like many have been tempted to do when they've not purchased the interior light pack and have become sad about it.

Hippogriff
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I am finding the Audi website next to useless for finding info. What suspension comes on the S Line as standard. Is it sports (20mm lowered) or s line (30mm lowered). Also what one is best?

Best to ask here, folk will know - your dealer probably won't. For the record I believe the default suspension setting is the higher ride and you have to specifically request it to get lowered. There used to be some restrictions with huge wheels, but I think they're resolved now. Neither is actually best - it's personal preference, and for different reasons. But asking questions that like that should get you some opinions... :D

kodkod.84
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Like Nick says I would plump for s line just for the bi-xenon's alone- they truly do light up the road a lot better than standard halogens. And the fact the s- ine looks a lot more sporty and has more supportive half-leather/cloth seats. I had a B7 SE before the s line and although a nice car it felt a little OAP for my liking (no offence meant lol)

Do the B8s come with no lighting for the vent wheels if you don't spec the interior light pack? that is serious penny pinching on Audi's behalf if that's the case!

jakerade
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
i think its LED lights for the footwells, puddle lights and interior door handles. I dont know if ambient lighting is standard (it wasnt on the B7). I think all the reading lights are standard. I suspect its also the vanity mirror lights.

20mm lowered is standard (sports). 30mm lowered is the non-cost optional S-line.

it makes the car look completely different somehow (probably cos its lower :))

NickH A4
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
i think its LED lights for the footwells, puddle lights and interior door handles. I dont know if ambient lighting is standard (it wasnt on the B7). I think all the reading lights are standard. I suspect its also the vanity mirror lights.

20mm lowered is standard (sports). 30mm lowered is the non-cost optional S-line.

it makes the car look completely different somehow (probably cos its lower :))

Interior light pack from what I remember was:

red door lights which show when door is open
puddle lights
control switches on door itself eg window buttons etc
air vent lights
vanity mirrors
glovebox

not sure about boot lights

reading lights are standard

Regarding the suspension:

Sports suspension 20mm lower than Standard (S line suspension 30mm lower than Standard – available in lieu of Sports suspension at no charge)

jakerade
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
from the brochure

Interior light package.

Includes front and rear footwell lighting, active door reflectors, illuminated

vanity mirrors, rear reading lights, entrance lights and illuminated glove compartment, vents and

internal door controls

JOEG7406
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
have i misunderstood??? Electric window button lights on the door are an option!!!!! I dont think I have been in a car recently that these arent standard.

Hopefully i have misunderstood.

Joe

jakerade
11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
i think they are standard. there is however a light in the door handles which i think is part of the option that shines down on the window switches

NickH A4
11-08-2011, 07:05 PM
i think they are standard. there is however a light in the door handles which i think is part of the option that shines down on the window switches

Is there anyone without the lightpack that can confirm if the window buttons light up? Or is just the driver's side without the lightpack?

Haven't noticed a light in my door handles...

John140
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=They dont drive badly but i would have to have the sports suspension and the bigger wheels of the S-line give you a lot more "drive" out of corners if you are a sporty driver. Go for the lowered S-line suspension (non-cost) if you like a sporty drive.
QUOTE]

I deliberatly avoided all of these things due to wanting to keep the fillings in my teeth !!
I suppose if you are lucky enough to live in a part of the country with smooth roads you might be okay !

The B7 S-line was an awful ride, I dont know if they improved it in the B8, I have an SE which is okay.

J_B204
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I've read the replies with interest....you can see what motor I have from my sig...

I'll agree every day of the week that the LED lights look great, however, I went for the technik and am more than happy. I think the leather seats are comfortable and supportive. It comes with AMI and SatNav ( I upgraded to the HDD version). It also comes with FRONT and REAR parking sensors (the SLine comes with rear only).

I was concerned with the ride quality of the larger rims and lowered suspension of the SLine which further pushed me towards the technik (which is based upon the SE).

Bottom line imho:

If you want looks over equipment go for the SLine (and can live with the ride)
If you want equipment and ride over looks go for the technik (and can live with not having the LED lights)

Hope this helps

ScottyUK
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Bottom line imho:

If you want equipment and ride over looks go for the technik (and can live with not having the LED lights)

Or If you want looks and equpment and the ride then get an Sline with dynamic suspension and put whatever options on it that you want ;)

p.s. Ambient lighting was mentioned. It's not standard but can be enabled with VCDS on cars with the footwell lights i.e. the light pack.

J_B204
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
you forgot to mention very deep pockets or a lease company that is very generous if you want an sline fully loaded ;)

ScottyUK
11-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Spoil sport! :p;)

JOEG7406
12-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I've read the replies with interest....you can see what motor I have from my sig...

I'll agree every day of the week that the LED lights look great, however, I went for the technik and am more than happy. I think the leather seats are comfortable and supportive. It comes with AMI and SatNav ( I upgraded to the HDD version). It also comes with FRONT and REAR parking sensors (the SLine comes with rear only).

I was concerned with the ride quality of the larger rims and lowered suspension of the SLine which further pushed me towards the technik (which is based upon the SE).

Bottom line imho:

Hope this helps

JB204,

How is the brilliant black to live with? I'm between this and ibis white.

Hippogriff
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Flip a coin. It's paint. It's not going to affect your life. :D

Once the coin is flipped, you absolve yourself from all responsibility if it comes down on white. You can blame Lady Luck.

JamesMo
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Joe,

Just to add my 2p, I had a Mondeo Titanum on hire for about 6 months before my A4 S-line was delivered and would say that the biggest thing you will notice is the Ride - I have the sport suspension (20mm drop) and compared to the Mondeo it is hard to say the least! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the way it handles and sticks to the road, but at the weekend when going out with the rest of the family, we take the wife's Passat estate - simply on the basis of comfort! The other thing i noticed is the size - the interior and boot on the A4 is significantly smaller than that of the Mondeo/Passat - if you need space this may not be the car for you.

I would suggest you test drive both models (I would be very tempted by a passat CC these days TBH) and see what you think about the ride. For me the S-line looks loads better than the SE/Teknik - the wheels/stance, lights and body kit really set it off externally, and internally the seats are superb (S-line does have lumbar suport).

Options-wise - I don't really know what you want/need over the standard kit - I have the executive s-line that was done in 2009 as a low cost trade up to the standard s-line - this came with options which I now think are standard fit. I don't have integrated sat nav - but a decent garmin is only £150 these days! (and the map update is far cheaper than Audi's). The standard stereo is fine - I have the 6 CD symphony with the standard 10 speaker set-up (I've been loaned cars with Bose and in my opinion the option isn't worth the £500 unless you like you music really loud) - I would like AMI for convenience and the DAB option might be nice - but neither are deal-breakers.

The one thing I would pay for is the paint - we have a few A4's here at work and everyone with black hates keeping it clean - go for lava grey - it looks superb when clean and doesn't look dirty quite a quickly.

Hope this helps!

Regards

James

ScottyUK
12-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Sat Nav Vs Non Nav
(if we set aside the navigation side of it)
which would you prefer :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3628815/Car/A4/Gear_knob2.JPGhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3628815/Car/A4/A4_non_nav_lower.jpg

Then add in the ergonomics of the controller, the security (stick on satnav can mean your car being broken into) etc etc then the SatNav does add more than just navigation. It is a stupid price for the poor functionality but that's not all your getting for your dosh. Additionally when I bought (and I don't know if it's still the case) but the non-nav screen was smaller and the quality of the display far worse. Even the menu's looked worse .... although perhaps you'd only notice if you've seen a nav car.

I actually ordered my A4 without Nav as the salesman had told me the MMI controller was by the gear shift on all A4's. As soon as I found it wasn't I added it to the spec.

JOEG7406
12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi Joe,

Just to add my 2p, I had a Mondeo Titanum on hire for about 6 months before my A4 S-line was delivered and would say that the biggest thing you will notice is the Ride - I have the sport suspension (20mm drop) and compared to the Mondeo it is hard to say the least! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the way it handles and sticks to the road, but at the weekend when going out with the rest of the family, we take the wife's Passat estate - simply on the basis of comfort! The other thing i noticed is the size - the interior and boot on the A4 is significantly smaller than that of the Mondeo/Passat - if you need space this may not be the car for you.

I would suggest you test drive both models (I would be very tempted by a passat CC these days TBH) and see what you think about the ride. For me the S-line looks loads better than the SE/Teknik - the wheels/stance, lights and body kit really set it off externally, and internally the seats are superb (S-line does have lumbar suport).

Options-wise - I don't really know what you want/need over the standard kit - I have the executive s-line that was done in 2009 as a low cost trade up to the standard s-line - this came with options which I now think are standard fit. I don't have integrated sat nav - but a decent garmin is only £150 these days! (and the map update is far cheaper than Audi's). The standard stereo is fine - I have the 6 CD symphony with the standard 10 speaker set-up (I've been loaned cars with Bose and in my opinion the option isn't worth the £500 unless you like you music really loud) - I would like AMI for convenience and the DAB option might be nice - but neither are deal-breakers.

The one thing I would pay for is the paint - we have a few A4's here at work and everyone with black hates keeping it clean - go for lava grey - it looks superb when clean and doesn't look dirty quite a quickly.

Hope this helps!

Regards

James

James,

Thanks for this. The mondeo that I have has the lowered sports suspension so what I am used to driving may be worse than the version that you had on loan as I have heard really good things about the mondeo suspension and mine on 18" alloys is not perfect to be honest.

Joe

Audi Nick
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Never mind the S Line, go for the allroad. Not many of them around, terrific in the snow and you get extra ride hight too!

What ever you choose, don't forget to let us know and post a few pics too.

Nick

jakerade
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
funnily enough, significantly cheaper to contract hire as well....

J_B204
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Joe.

Mines Brilliant Red mate ;)

But like any of the prime colours - looks great when completely clean...but gets dirty really quickly! On the white vs black - I've seen both and both look great in their own way!

As has been said, flip a coin ;)